Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

FOXNews.com - Muslims in NYC Planning to Build Second, Smaller Mosque Near Ground Zero
So, is ground zero now a holy site for islam, site of their great victory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:31 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Was this outrage always in the plans to begin with? Is that why nothing has been built there in all this time? I hope the whole country SCREAMS against this!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:43 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
FOXNews.com - Muslims in NYC Planning to Build Second, Smaller Mosque Near Ground Zero
So, is ground zero now a holy site for islam, site of their great victory?
Wby yest it is. Praise be diversity!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
While I find it annoying, I am afraid there is nothing one can do about it if they act lawfully. They would play the old everybody hates poor Islam trump again...

"Masjid mosque leaders claim on their website that they are deeply involved in converting people to Islam and run a special program to convert those who are interested."

I guess it is time other religions started to actively proselytize among Muslims. Not because they made more sense, but to counter that aggressive nature of Islam.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:54 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
I don't understand why this is such a big deal, truthfully. I'm sure there were plenty of Muslims, besides the hijackers killed in the attacks. It wasn't an attack against the United States by the whole of the Muslim religion, it was a terrorist act carried out by a group of extremists. I'm still angry that it happened, of course, and I think we have every right to track down those responsible and bring them to justice, but there are plenty of Muslims who see it the same way we do, and are just as angry as we are (for different reasons, perhaps, as they were painted into the extremist corner, even though many are just regular folks who didn't support what happened on 9/11).

Logic is important. They didn't attack us because they were Muslim and we are (mostly) Christian, they hijacked their religion and are subverting and bastardizing it in the pursuit of power. They want us to go after Muslims, because it perpetuates the 'Us vs. Them' mentality that is their bread and butter. If we get outraged and intolerant at American Muslims, it only furthers their agenda. Hatred begets hatred and violence begets violence. Intolerance begets intolerance etc. We need to break the cycle if we ever hope to fix the problem. And let's make one thing clear, I'm (mostly) a WASP, and am no Islam apologist, but they share our Earth with us and ultimately, we have no choice but to coexist.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
While I find it annoying, I am afraid there is nothing one can do about it if they act lawfully. They would play the old everybody hates poor Islam trump again...

"Masjid mosque leaders claim on their website that they are deeply involved in converting people to Islam and run a special program to convert those who are interested."

I guess it is time other religions started to actively proselytize among Muslims. Not because they made more sense, but to counter that aggressive nature of Islam.
That could get them and their converts killed.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Actually, the city could act by changing zoning for certain areas to not include places of worship.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Wby yest it is. Praise be diversity!
Thou shall have no false gods.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Actually, the city could act by changing zoning for certain areas to not include places of worship.
But that would be considered an obvious response to those plans and the Muslims might challenge such changes in court, probably successfully.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:12 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I don't understand why this is such a big deal, truthfully. I'm sure there were plenty of Muslims, besides the hijackers killed in the attacks. It wasn't an attack against the United States by the whole of the Muslim religion, it was a terrorist act carried out by a group of extremists. I'm still angry that it happened, of course, and I think we have every right to track down those responsible and bring them to justice, but there are plenty of Muslims who see it the same way we do, and are just as angry as we are (for different reasons, perhaps, as they were painted into the extremist corner, even though many are just regular folks who didn't support what happened on 9/11).

Logic is important. They didn't attack us because they were Muslim and we are (mostly) Christian, they hijacked their religion and are subverting and bastardizing it in the pursuit of power. They want us to go after Muslims, because it perpetuates the 'Us vs. Them' mentality that is their bread and butter. If we get outraged and intolerant at American Muslims, it only furthers their agenda. Hatred begets hatred and violence begets violence. Intolerance begets intolerance etc. We need to break the cycle if we ever hope to fix the problem. And let's make one thing clear, I'm (mostly) a WASP, and am no Islam apologist, but they share our Earth with us and ultimately, we have no choice but to coexist.

Nice fairytale. I remember thousands of muslims speaking out against the attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies