Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

I wish we could have an exchange. All the American women who want to cover themselves up with burqas can be sent to Muslim countries and all the women in the Middle East who want to wear Western fashion, high heels etc. and reject the entire concept of modesty can move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA22003 View Post
Muslim women should not be allowed to wear clothes that hide their faces. This should be against the law in all 50 states. This give criminals, a chance to disguise themselves. I can't believe France is ahead of us in this. Most of the women that wear these clothes are scared of their husbands. In some Islamic countries, if the woman cheats on her husband, the man can have her legs cemented to the ground while she is stoned.
I bet you also claim to believe in the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the freedom to believe in whatever religion one whishes to, freedom of religion ring bell.
One question: can you supply verifiable evidence that anyone has ever dressed in this religous way that has commited a criminal act in this country?
I Always love it when the right whines about the government running their life then propose legislation that does exactly that, hypocritical thinking at it's best.
Casper

Old 05-19-2010, 02:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Malamute, please let this thread die a peaceful death. As I stated when originally posted, the OP is a troll looking for a reaction. And a young one at that suggesting the USA should take their cue from France. Sheesh.

Let me finish by saying that the veil is not a symbol of hate. It is a show of modesty within their religion. The US prides itself on allowing/providing religious freedom to all. As you state correctly, however, IMHO, the women belonging to the more radical factions of this religion are not treated equally. As I said though, that is a cultural evolution issue whose time will eventually come.
If those women insist on wearing their veils, then they shouldn't be too surprised if they are not hired to work at certain places, if they choose to work at all. Their religion and its adherents have disrupted our way of life too much already. We certainly don't need to let more of them into this country in the way that France has. They need to mainstream themselves into American culture in the way that most persian women have.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM

412 posts, read 405,020 times
Quote:
Muslim women should not be allowed to wear clothes that hide their faces. This should be against the law in all 50 states. This give criminals, a chance to disguise themselves. I can't believe France is ahead of us in this. Most of the women that wear these clothes are scared of their husbands. In some Islamic countries, if the woman cheats on her husband, the man can have her legs cemented to the ground while she is stoned.
If you want a symbolic "take that" against muslims, then sure, great idea. If you'd rather pursue an action that actually, you know, accomplishes something, you might want to look elsewhere. Wearing full veils or Burqas is uncommon with most American muslims, but banning them will make all muslims feel targeted. Right now, the American muslim community is better integrated than those in Europe, so what point is there to such a ban besides violating freedom of expression and alienating muslims as a whole.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
I dont live in the US but in my country only a minority of muslim women wear a scaf to hide their faces. I dont really care what people wear. Hell people can walk around the street in underwear and would not care either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies