U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,339,869 times

Advertisements

Why the U.S. Must reinstate Tariffs | Economy In Crisis

I've always been a big believer in buying American, now so more than ever. By using tariffs to even the playing field and encourage homegrown alternatives, could we ever bring back American jobs that have been outsourced? If not, would we stand to profit from charging foreign nations to sell their goods on our soil? It seems like a great idea to me but I've got no kind of formal economic training whatsoever.

If tariffs are a method that would work, what are the chances we'll have a leader that would push for them? Who do I need to vote for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:17 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,391,899 times
If you do that your export targets will do so too and the whole thing will backfire.
As long as your companies are mainly interested in stuffing profits into their stakeholders' pockets, there is not enough money to pay the higher wages US employees need as compared to Asian ones.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM

61,071 posts, read 30,951,443 times
I have been shouting this for years.

Clinton signing into the WTO/GATT was the nail in the coffin for American manufacturing and self sufficiency.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM

We reap what we sow.

What are we sowing, again?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
For generations, American policymakers and experts – like the world’s leading Depression “expert” and Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke – have looked at the trade protection of the Depression with scorn. They should have been looking at it as a model for coping with difficult times. The United States cannot compete with wage rates in Latin America and Asia, but our obligations to “free-trade” propelled us into a fight we are doomed to lose.

If anyone thinks otherwise, I want you to come work for me for free, to prove your point.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 AM

5,518 posts, read 4,829,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post

I've always been a big believer in buying American, now so more than ever. By using tariffs to even the playing field and encourage homegrown alternatives, could we ever bring back American jobs that have been outsourced? If not, would we stand to profit from charging foreign nations to sell their goods on our soil? It seems like a great idea to me but I've got no kind of formal economic training whatsoever.

If tariffs are a method that would work, what are the chances we'll have a leader that would push for them? Who do I need to vote for?

If you remove the income tax on every citizen and create a national sales tax of like 5% and then tax imports of 2% I think that would be a good idea.
Or create "fair trade" which whatever they import they have to except our imports as well 1 to 1.
But we know that wont happen China is to smart :-)
I dont believe in managed central government trade anyway. People and their wallets tell you the market. But there is nothing that says you cant tax a import :-) As long as government is willing to cut its spending and remove the income tax.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM

15,772 posts, read 8,604,935 times
another Herbert Hoover idiot. they guy who wrote the article sure didnt finish his history lesson.

geez

Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
another Herbert Hoover idiot. they guy who wrote the article sure didnt finish his history lesson.

geez

What part of "The United States cannot compete with wage rates in Latin America and Asia, but our obligations to “free-trade” propelled us into a fight we are doomed to lose." do you disagree with?

Trade tariffs over the 1 to 1 ratio of trade, is a very good economic move.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM

19,494 posts, read 13,254,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post

Here is an example of what tariffs have done.

In 2002 Bush decided to apply a 30% tariff on imported steel, to save union job at our steel mills.

What ended up happening is people who used steel to create their products saw steel prices jump 20-30%, and they were unable to pass these costs onto their consumers. At the same time, their foreign competitors were able to make the same steel products cheaper, such as pins, buckles, and metal enclosures and such. This ended up collapsing many US manufacturing jobs because they were unable to compete with their foreign competitors any more.

I do not think there is a country on earth that has not suffered economically from the 2008 banking fiasco, so if we think we need to increases the costs of imports, then what is to prevent a domino effect?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Here is an example of what tariffs have done.

In 2002 Bush decided to apply a 30% tariff on imported steel, to save union job at our steel mills.

What ended up happening is people who used steel to create their products saw steel prices jump 20-30%, and they were unable to pass these costs onto their consumers. At the same time, their foreign competitors were able to make the same steel products cheaper, such as pins, buckles, and metal enclosures and such. This ended up collapsing many US manufacturing jobs because they were unable to compete with their foreign competitors any more.

Think about what you just typed.

Selective tariffs never work. Equal tariffs always work.

Had there also been tariffs place on all steel products made and imported....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies