Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM

37,599 posts, read 21,776,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
No, Paul was fine with government (public) institutions having to follow the civil rights laws. From his comments we can only conclude that he is opposed to the government requiring any non-governmental (private) entity from following the civil rights laws. On Maddow's show he never clearly stated what his position was.
Many private businesses do discriminate. I'll bet the BET and the NAACP have an over representation in black Americans, and the VFW probably has very few draft dodgers and peacenicks, the NOW has an over representation of women, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:10 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,568,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think you may be right on the last part. What Paul was focusing on was that the law is not clear enough about the terms "public" and "private".

Paul also went over the dichotomy of what is considered "public" place now, that allows a person to openly carry a firearm in a restaurant, if the same place was defined as a "private" for the purposes of allowing the owner to discriminate, gun owners would suddenly be prohibited from open carry.
He was just doing that to sidetrack the debate. The First Amendment and Second Amendment claims have nothing to do with this argument.

Specifically, these amendments restrict the power of government; they do not apply to who gets into restaurants.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have no doubt that there are pockets in American society where people would indeed revert to overt discrimination. No Doubt. Would it be pervasive, I think not. But that really shouldn't be the issue of this thread.
I agree, some people can be real bigots and will keep out those they do not like from being hired or allowed into their orginazations.

Which is why i support expanding the civil rights law to political ideology. Colleges, universities and public schools need to have a close representation to the national average of both conservatives, moderates and liberals hired as administrators, teachers and professors.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,807,475 times
The First Amendment applies to anyone, anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
He was just doing that to sidetrack the debate. The First Amendment and Second Amendment claims have nothing to do with this argument.

Specifically, these amendments restrict the power of government; they do not apply to who gets into restaurants.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,342,798 times
Quote:
Dr. King registered as a Republican voter in 1956. He did not give his support to the Democratic Presidential Contender, named John F. Kennedy, until 1960 despite Kennedy’s failure to vote for Civil Right’s Policy in 1957. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave his support to Kennedy because, as a Senator, Kennedy had telephoned a pregnant Coretta Scott King while her husband’s life hung in the balance in a Birmingham, Alabama jail.
Kennedy making sure that there was media coverage of the event
The democrats threw him in jail, then strolls in Democrat JFK, to "make a deal". and a big media event.

How convenient!

What is it called when you jail someone and then won't let them out until they make a political deal?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,732,136 times
Rand commented he would have voted FOR the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
~2 min in on this clip. Also he has mentioned he's not calling to repeal the Act either.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Ahh...I see. Maybe the club's patrons might not make you feel welcomed (as in "come have a seat at my table, let me buy you a drink), but the club owner cannot legally deny you access to the club.

I step into business establishments that are either owned or managed by people from different races/ethnicities all the time. Yes, some of the patrons have looked at me like I'm out of place. I don't care.

I recently had tire trouble and I went into a tire shop that had nothing but black folks in it. Some folks looked at me like "what on earth are you doing here?" Well, I needed a new tire and it was the closest shop. They sold and installed a new tire. I paid for it, and went on my way. No biggie.
When I go to a Thai restaurant I'm biased, i want to see a Thai receptionist, waitress, or waiter, and maybe even a Thai cook. But I believe that to purposely set out to hire only Thai servers and receptionist is against the law.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,568,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The First Amendment applies to anyone, anywhere.
Read it.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,807,475 times
Court cases after the civil rights were enacted also set precedent.

For example conspiracy against rights says "two or more persons":

"If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person [...] in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same;...

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Read it.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 PM

1,089 posts, read 652,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The democrats threw him in jail, then strolls in Democrat JFK, to "make a deal". and a big media event.

How convenient!

What is it called when you jail someone and then won't let them out until they make a political deal?
Where did Ronald Reagan announce he was running for president in 1980?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies