Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 12:11 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Keep talking, you're just making yourself look bad.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Making myself look bad???

LOL...you think I would care what leftists think of me?
To belong to an ideology that is responsible for millions of deaths around the world makes their praise unimportant to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Someone's ability to eat where they want or get a job is trampled by someone saying I won't serve or hire you because of what race you are.
To eat out somewhere is a basic right in your opinion?

More highly prized than freedom of association or speech?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ever thought that if government stayed out of it the playing field would level off by itself?

Too many people look to government for the answer,little realising government is more likely the cause of the problem.
So, the founders should have proposed a government-less society, and let nature take its course.

How exactly has it worked out for Somalia, with an extremely weak/non-existent government? How long did it take for slave trade to abolish itself? Do you seriously believe that the government was created as a refuge to guarantee fundamental rights to the people but only under its umbrella and people be on their own elsewhere? It sounds like one of those issues where government is the enemy so bill of rights was created to protect people from the government. So, if there were no government, there would be no need for bill of rights, right?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You can associate with any body you damned well please, but when you conduct a business covered by Federal statute you should make damned sure that you are in compliance with the law.

Sigh....we know there is a law restricting it,the point we are discussing is the law is wrong...come on keep up.

You think that taking this right away is A-OK because you do not like the idea of someone being able to discriminate against you...

Old 05-21-2010, 12:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
I should have the right to associate with whoever I choose and to hire whoever I choose in my privately owned business.
Do you agree with this or not?
You do. But I hope you're not disingenuous in the process to be a wolf in lamb's clothing but come out of the closet for all purposes.

But, if you expect any government agency to protect you, provide guarantees to you, then you should also be willing to play by the rules that come with it.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM

683 posts, read 428,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, the founders should have proposed a government-less society, and let nature take its course.

How exactly has it worked out for Somalia, with an extremely weak/non-existent government? How long did it take for slave trade to abolish itself? Do you seriously believe that the government was created as a refuge to guarantee fundamental rights to the people but only under its umbrella and people be on their own elsewhere? It sounds like one of those issues where government is the enemy so bill of rights was created to protect people from the government. So, if there were no government, there would be no need for bill of rights, right?
Nobody has said no government, we simply want the government to do what they are supposed to and nothing more. We want smaller government, more in line with what the founding fathers had in mind. The fed gov. has become way more than it ever should have, so much so that it's increasingly trying to control states while failing to do the jobs that it should as the federal government.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
To eat out somewhere is a basic right in your opinion?

More highly prized than freedom of association or speech?
Not being discriminated against is a basic right.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its even less surprising that some liberals dont understand the right of private individuals to not allow other private individuals into property that they have bought and paid for..

Just like the Boy Scouts are allowed to discriminate against the gays..
Catholic Church is allowed to discriminate and now allow women priests..
Golf clubs are indeed allowed to not allow blacks..
And the Black Panthers are allowed to not allow whites..

The government has NO RIGHT to demand that you allow individuals into your privately owned establishment..

Dont remember the newsletter, but whats that have to do with the topic?

Exactly. Therefore, according to you and Rand Paul, it is perfectly OK to hang up signs at the entrance door of any business that say "Only Whites need enter", "Only Blacks Allowed", "Only Spanish speakers served", etc. Meanwhile, MY taxpayer money is being used to provide Police protection and Fire Department response to businesses that I am not allowed to even enter because I do not fit the criteria.

Got it.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not being discriminated against is a basic right.
It's not just a basic right. It's a Constitutional right. 14th amendment.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Sigh....we know there is a law restricting it,the point we are discussing is the law is wrong...come on keep up.

You think that taking this right away is A-OK because you do not like the idea of someone being able to discriminate against you...
What right would that be?

Show me the right to discriminate against one class of citizens by another? Pull out your pocket sized GOP version of the Constitution.

As for keeping up, I posted the prevailing Supreme Court decision upholding the righteousness of Title II, yet you have yet to comment on it. Why, because you would rather pull "rights" out of your anus rather than discuss the settled principle upon which the law was enacted and in which it has not been challenged for 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies