Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I rarely eat meat for many reasons, but, I find that it is really odd that many people will sort of attack vegetarians verbally and rudely. It seems to happen if somebody has made the commitment to eat in a healthy way or in respect and kindness to animals. Does anybody have any insight to this as I'm pondering this subject a lot and I'm not coming up with many answers I find it wonderful when somebody respect themselves like this
Because people feel uncomfortable about their lifestyles and take it out on us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 PM

214 posts, read 120,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
While the animal rights thing is debatable, the reason I try to avoid meat as much as possible is for health reasons, and it takes less land/energy to produce plant products.

I once heard someone say that the whole world could be fed with no problem if everyone was vegetarian. I'm not saying everyone should be forced to go without, but I try to cut back for those reasons just because its comon sense and more responsible.
Humans are meant to eat BOTH meat and veggies. It's called a balanced diet. Nothing at all unhealthy about that. If you don't believe me ask your dentist why your teeth are the way they are. If you were only meant to eat greens, you would have a mouth full of molars.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 PM

329 posts, read 201,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I rarely eat meat for many reasons, but, I find that it is really odd that many people will sort of attack vegetarians verbally and rudely. It seems to happen if somebody has made the commitment to eat in a healthy way or in respect and kindness to animals. Does anybody have any insight to this as I'm pondering this subject a lot and I'm not coming up with many answers I find it wonderful when somebody respect themselves like this
Cry me a river.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditTheFed View Post
Humans are meant to eat BOTH meat and veggies. It's called a balanced diet. Nothing at all unhealthy about that. If you don't believe me ask your dentist why your teeth are the way they are. If you were only meant to eat greens, you would have a mouth full of molars.
We've evolved to be able to derive nutrition from both plant and animal matter, that doesn't mean we were 'meant' to eat anything. Dogs have evolved to be able to derive nutrition from plant matter from co-evolving with humans, yet their closest relatives are obligate carnivores.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
On a recent post of mine regarding my sympathy for light vegetarianism someone told me "don't find excuses not to go vegetarian or say it is hard to eat tofu!" and another one said "fish is meat!"
Maybe because there's no such thing as "light vegetarianism". You either eat meat or you don't.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis View Post
Why is a vegetarian diet more environmentally safe than my diet?
Read the UN report on the environmental impact of animal farming. It wasn't written by a bunch of vegetarians.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM

281 posts, read 446,658 times
I think a lot of people actually create strawmen of the 'most vegetarians act holier than thou' kind to justify their own hostility. Where are all these pushy vegans forcing their own views on everyone else? I've never met any.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
While the animal rights thing is debatable, the reason I try to avoid meat as much as possible is for health reasons, and it takes less land/energy to produce plant products.

I once heard someone say that the whole world could be fed with no problem if everyone was vegetarian. I'm not saying everyone should be forced to go without, but I try to cut back for those reasons just because its comon sense and more responsible.
What are the environmental impacts of our US reliance on soy and corn on the planet? How much energy & fertilizer does it take to brow soy and corn, the basis of almost all US vegetarian/vegan diets, and how comfortable are you with it, once you understand the process of growing in and turning it into food products)?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditTheFed View Post
I agree. HOWEVER. The only thing that animals supply that you can't get from plants is B12. Everything else in terms of essential nutrients can be found in plants. Now we can supplement B12 in vitamins.

Meat though (especially the way we raise it) is not lean, its loaded with fat that we don't need in our sedentary lives. Big difference between the meat we evolved to eat, and the meat that farming has brought us. Look at all aspects of an issue before you make an argument.

You go ahead and eat all the meat you were meant to though. Send me a postcard from the hospital when you have a heart attack/triple bypass.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:01 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
What are the environmental impacts of our US reliance on soy and corn on the planet? How much energy & fertilizer does it take, and how comfortable are you with it, once you understand the process)?
Modern agriculture techniques so one man can grow hundreds/thousands of acres. How much land does it take for one cow to graze. How many people can that one cow feed? How many could be fed if that was growing grains, vegetables, fruits etc? lets see some statistics if you're going to make an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies