Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM

16 posts, read 20,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Makes me glad I filled up at the BP today. I'll take my gas hog BHT (big, honking truck) there tomorrow.

Boycotting a company for an accident makes no sense.
The Washington, DC Metro system has quite a few accidents recently. Should it be boycotted?
AMTRAK has derailments. Boycott?
Freight lines and tractor trailers have accidents.
And so on.
If one boycotts every entity that has an accident you would quickly starve to death.
Do you realize that this oil spill is on going and it will spew for awhile? The Gulf will never be the same again.

We will see how you feel about BP when they refuse to compensate for the destroyed livelihoods and the devastated Gulf coast for not only this year but years to come. How about once they start to bog down legal proceedings in court for decades, etc. Business will go on as if nothing happened...the arrogance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How can you post about Bush at this point in time for non-inspections happening in 2009 and 2010 ??
You're saying there was a complete regime (attitude) change (adjustment) in Jan '09! There wasn't. The left over attitudes are/were still there and probably still linger elsewhere. Recent story on fraud in the Health and Human Services, again, been going on for years, finally caught.

Hello . . . ?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 AM

90 posts, read 123,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmyster78 View Post
BP finally admits that there may be more than 5000 barrels of oil spewing out of the broken pipes everyday. Meanwhile we are looking the biggest oil spill in history. Crude oil has been spewing out at a rate of 100000 barrels a day for over a month. I think it'll be a couple of months before it's shut down.

With that BP has lost its right to be a viable company in my mind. It has lost its right to do business in America! The economic and environmental devastation can not possibly be mended in the region in our lifetime. Half of the Gulf will be closed to fishing for years to come.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this really disturbs me. I have a feeling that they are not even going to pay for all of the clean up costs. Moreover, BP cannot possibly pay for the billions and billions of dollars lost in fishing, tourism and the environmental benefits of the coastal wetlands lost. Boycott BP. Let them go to hell.
man....that is how i feel about the president and congress also!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is that BP caused this devastation of our pristine Gulf coast and they will most likely get away with it. Business will go on for BP. Is that fair...am I a doom and gloomer? I'm just pissed off. We can't let them get away with this. Boycott BP. We can't get rid of out dependence on oil or future offshore drilling, but we need to set a precedent...if you cut corners on safety you will pay dearly. In case of BP they screwed up big!

The ghosts of Bush's incompetency and corruption will haunt us for awhile it looks like...don't even try to argue this one...everyone knows that there is a clear connection among Bush, Cheney, Halliburton, lax in standards on the oil rigs, their tendency to look the other way when oil is involved, etc.
bp didnt cause this

faulty GOVERNMENT inspectors and beurocracy is at fault

oh and its not bush, you idiot...its government it self...obama too

Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,108,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Yes, boycott BP. That includes Amoco, Arco, and AM/PM. None of them will ever see my money again. Just as Exxon or Coors haven't for years.

Gas and petrol stations in the US | US | Products and services | BP
You forgot Citgo. I'd push my SUV for 17 miles to the next station before i'd wheel it into a Citgo station when the gas light's on.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 AM

90 posts, read 123,690 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is that BP caused this devastation of our pristine Gulf coast and they will most likely get away with it. Business will go on for BP. Is that fair...am I a doom and gloomer? I'm just pissed off. We can't let them get away with this. Boycott BP. We can't get rid of out dependence on oil or future offshore drilling, but we need to set a precedent...if you cut corners on safety you will pay dearly. In case of BP they screwed up big!

The ghosts of Bush's incompetency and corruption will haunt us for awhile it looks like...don't even try to argue this one...everyone knows that there is a clear connection among Bush, Cheney, Halliburton, lax in standards on the oil rigs, their tendency to look the other way when oil is involved, etc.
oops....you just lost all credibility there by blaming Bush for this like all the other retard Dems.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,028,919 times
Quote:
Makes me glad I filled up at the BP today. I'll take my gas hog BHT (big, honking truck) there tomorrow.

Boycotting a company for an accident makes no sense.
The Washington, DC Metro system has quite a few accidents recently. Should it be boycotted?
AMTRAK has derailments. Boycott?
Freight lines and tractor trailers have accidents.
And so on.
If one boycotts every entity that has an accident you would quickly starve to death.
It's their fault they weren't prepared for this accident even though they said they were.

I can't believe you support BP after this. Sickening.

Edited to add:
Boycotting a company for an accident makes no sense?!? I thought you were a pro-free market guy!!! How do you expect the free market to improve businesses if people don't hold companies accountable for preventable accidents?

Last edited by LogicIsYourFriend; 05-21-2010 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM

45,309 posts, read 60,463,888 times
Quote:
Do you realize that this oil spill is on going and it will spew for awhile? The Gulf will never be the same again.

We will see how you feel about BP when they refuse to compensate for the destroyed livelihoods and the devastated Gulf coast for not only this year but years to come. How about once they start to bog down legal proceedings in court for decades, etc. Business will go on as if nothing happened...the arrogance.

Way not to answer. Not too good with analogies or comparisons I see.

In answer to your question (see how easy that is), yes I do realize an oil spill is going on. I also realize that eventually it will be capped. The Gulf hasn't "been the same" since 1492. They same way the Chesapeake hasn't "been the same" since 1607.

Why would I have "feelings". Again a typical appeal to emotion.

The oil will eventually break down, there will be damage which will eventually be repaired by Nature.

For point of reference, a marsh I hunt and my duckblind were the victims of a leak of several hundred thousand gallons of fuel oil from a power plant several years ago, so I've done marsh and wildlife clean up. Have you? I also put my money where my mouth is in regards to the environment. Do you?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:39 AM

16 posts, read 20,128 times
Quote:
Way not to answer. Not too good with analogies or comparisons I see.

In answer to your question (see how easy that is), yes I do realize an oil spill is going on. I also realize that eventually it will be capped. The Gulf hasn't "been the same" since 1492. They same way the Chesapeake hasn't "been the same" since 1607.

Why would I have "feelings". Again a typical appeal to emotion.

The oil will eventually break down, there will be damage which will eventually be repaired by Nature.

For point of reference, a marsh I hunt and my duckblind were the victims of a leak of several hundred thousand gallons of fuel oil from a power plant several years ago, so I've done marsh and wildlife clean up. Have you? I also put my money where my mouth is in regards to the environment. Do you?
Is the marsh where you hunt the same quality as before the fuel spill? Is there residue of the fuel in the sediment still? Were you able to get all the chemical residue left in the fat tissues of all the animals in the area after the fuel spill? If the quality of the marsh is the same or better (which I doubt), then I applaud your efforts in the clean up. If not don't you wish that it never happened? All I'm saying is there was a screw up in or a lax in inspections or regulations. Should not happen...should never happen, because the consequences are worsened standard of living for all of us.

As an avid fisherman, yes I do my part for the environment. My group and I've organized massive environmental awareness events in my college (a large University of California campus) as well as beach clean ups and recycling campaigns. I have to admit that I don't live a completely green life, but I try.

It baffles me that many people believe that the policies put into place during the previous administration can be wiped away as soon as the next president takes office.

As a side note, I applaud your efforts to conserve the ecosystem of your duck blind regardless of our differences in opinions. My main drive for protecting the environment also stems from my love of fishing and the outdoors.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
Is the marsh where you hunt the same quality as before the fuel spill? Is there residue of the fuel in the sediment still? Were you able to get all the chemical residue left in the fat tissues of all the animals in the area after the fuel spill? If the quality of the marsh is the same or better (which I doubt), then I applaud your efforts in the clean up. If not don't you wish that it never happened? All I'm saying is there was a screw up in or a lax in inspections or regulations. Should not happen...should never happen, because the consequences are worsened standard of living for all of us.

As an avid fisherman, yes I do my part for the environment. My group and I've organized massive environmental awareness events in my college (a large University of California campus) as well as beach clean ups and recycling campaigns. I have to admit that I don't live a completely green life, but I try.

It baffles me that many people believe that the policies put into place during the previous administration can be wiped away as soon as the next president takes office.

As a side note, I applaud your efforts to conserve the ecosystem of your duck blind regardless of our differences in opinions. My main drive for protecting the environment also stems from my love of fishing and the outdoors.
AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT THE vOLCANIC ASH THAT IS DESTROYING THE ENVIROMENT ALSO?????

the point is that this incident happened, it doesnt matter who's fualt it is, just whta are we going to do about cleaning it up

this isnt a clinton or bush or obama thing, ...its a government not following ITS OWN RULES thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies