Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why does BP have a video camera broadcasting live but can't stop the oil spill?
The oil spill is clearly a setup to create "Obama's Katrina" 2 28.57%
It's just a coincidence that BP has a camera broadcasting live right next to the oil spill 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:24 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm not defending BP but, Jailed for what?
Drop a barrel of oil in a lake and you'll see why they should be in jail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Criminal negligence..
No crime has been committed. Maybe civil but not criminal.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM

683 posts, read 428,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Feel free to explain how BP can place that camera there (FYI, it can't just be thrown to the bottom of the sea)
but can't lower equipment to stop the spill
Because we lower cameras much lower than that into the water on a regular basis, it's no big deal. How many times have we had to cap a damaged well head in 5000 feet of water? You want to take a wild guess?

Quote:
Drop a barrel of oil in a lake and you'll see why they should be in jail
If you did it on purpose, yes, accident no jail.....just a civil fine.

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times
Quote:
Feel free to explain how BP can place that camera there (FYI, it can't just be thrown to the bottom of the sea)
but can't lower equipment to stop the spill
I am laughing out loud in real life here. Thanks for that.

Nobody wants to punish BP more than THIS liberal, but some of you folks are taking things too far.

Did you miss the other attempts? They lowered a frickin' dome on it (didn't work, but they did successfully place it over the leak), and they inserted a tube and are vacuuming up "1/5th" of it, as we speak. So yeah, tell me how they have been completely unable to get any equipment down there? They have -- it just didn't work or it simply isn't a full solution, as with the vacuuming.

Also, at a mile down, yes, lowering a camera is an easy task (we have lowered cams over 4 times the depth of this leak), compared to actually stopping the flow. Wake up - you just chuck it over the side and lower it down to the general area. They do have GPS, yanno.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
No crime has been committed. Maybe civil but not criminal.

Check out the 60 Minutes interview with one of the surviving crew members of the Deepwater Horizon..and then tell me no crimes were committed.

Blowout: The Deepwater Horizon Disaster - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Old 05-21-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Check out the 60 Minutes interview with one of the surviving crew members of the Deepwater Horizon..and then tell me no crimes were committed.

Blowout: The Deepwater Horizon Disaster - 60 Minutes - CBS News
I saw and and yes things were done that should not have been done, but still no criminal laws were broken...

Like I said I'm not defending BP, I just don't believe any criminal law has been broken..

And you need to take shows like 60 minutes with a grain of salt...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:47 PM

269 posts, read 295,769 times
Quote:
All that you are saying is that they were forced to make their live video feed public.

My question is...
how are they able to place a camera next to it that provides a live feed, but can't figure out a way to stop the oil leak "because is too deep in the ocean"
Usually it's because you need to be able to see what you're doing before you can do anything. Unless, of course, you think BP should stick the camera in the pipe.

Sadly, much of the major ideas have been exhausted. I thought the cap idea was a good idea, it just needed to have heaters on it so that the oil wouldn't clog up. But it's hard to do anything that's 5000 feet down and is spewing out oil at a high pressure. Trust me, BP isn't going to benefit from this in any way (unless you think Bush or the GOP is somehow compensating them millions of dollars without anybody knowing).

Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 PM

412 posts, read 938,953 times
Quote:
If you did it on purpose, yes, accident no jail.....just a civil fine.
The oil spill was caused by an explosion on an oil rig that killed 11 people. I'm pretty sure there will be criminal charges.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:40 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,235 times
I believe we have here an example of the failure of our education system!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies