Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Do you think the discrimination stopped or just became secretive and hidden?

Just because a racist puts an equal opportunity sticker on his door does not mean he is no longer discriminating. But now he gets money from people he hates.

I don't see that as progress.
I see it as progress that if a person is discriminated against based on race, religion, national origin or ethnicity and that person is able to establish sufficient probable cause then a law suit can be filed and due process can be sought in a court of law.

If you want to discriminate nobody can stop you. But be aware you may be made to pay and pay dearly for doing so.

If you don't see the progress this country has made in the past 50 years in terms of civil rights you either haven't been living long enough or you just choose to ignore the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattimus View Post
There is nothing racist about free association. To claim otherwise is ridiculous.
Free association can be very racist if the ractionale behind those associations is to promote racist beliefs.

A perfect example of this are:

Aryan Nation

American Nazi Party

Klu Klux Klan

European-American Unity and Rights Organization

League of the South

Council of Conservative Citizens

White Revolution

Blood and Honour America Division

Stormfront

All these are where people "Freely Associate" to promote various racist agendas.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
T
And the Free Market was never given a chance to fix the problem. Does the free market discriminate on the basis of race? No. So why would it have then?
The free market had until the early 1600’s until 1863 to "Fix" slavery and it didn't. From the end of Reconstruction in 1876 until the Civil Rights movement the free enterprise system didn't do a damn thing to protect the voting rights and civil rights of Black Americans.

Why?

Free enterprise doesn't have a damn thing to do with protecting human and civil rights. In fact history has shown us that unrestrained by government free enterprise tends to abuse the civil and human rights of people. In fact the primary reason human being get exploited on this planet i.e. slavery, colonialism, feudalism is for one group of people to gain power over another for economic gain.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Rand Paul says that the market left to itself would have fixed the problem of segregation and racial discrimination against blacks. Can any libertarians here explain how this was supposed to happen?

Pretend that we are back in 1963, the Civil Rights Act has not yet passed. You are a libertarian. What is your response to the spectacle of blacks being denied access to restaurants, doctor's offices, private schools, housing, etc. because white business owners were free to discriminate against them? Can you explain how the "free market" - left to its own devices - would have eventually resolved the situation?
Though jumping in here late, as a Libertarian and a former urban planner with a Masters Degree in the field, I don't think the free market would ever result in ending segregation (while the legal system makes racial discrimination too expensive to risk). Fact is, nothing short of our government declaring martial law, and confiscating all private land and housing and assigning us housing units to achieve maximum diversity, could actually achieve it.

I noticed when living in Florida even the most liberal of the urban planners (a very liberal group) chose to live in areas where their neighbors were similar to them--whether immigrants from Central America, or white people from upper Middle Class backgrounds, or African-American. I asked the African-American planner why he didn't choose to buy in a neighborhood with less of a crime rate, and he said he wanted to live around people he could identify with and felt comfortable with. The immigrants who chose to live in West Palm Beach experienced crimes that suburbanites like myself did not have to deal with, like drug addicts breaking into their homes at night and actually entering the children's bedroom.

One city dweller had a Christmas party and showed everyone the neighborhood street map on their wall, where they had highlights defining the border between gentrifying neighborhood and dangerous ghetto. Similarly, we went to the Kravis Center one night, and made a wrong turn, finding ourselves on a street where groups of inner-city residents blocked the road, trying to make us stop. With the publicity regarding the crime wave of shootings of motorists, we knew not to stop and luckily there were not too many of them to avoid by weaving around.

If you choose to live in a "diverse" neighborhood, feel free. But since as yet our government hasn't yet decided it has the right to choose where we live and who our neighbors will be, I doubt housing patterns will change much in the future, just liked they changed little overall despite past government social engineering. I think I have the right to choose where I want to live, since I'm the one paying for it, and while we still have unsupervised minors breaking into houses, we are unlikely to suffer violent crime. And that is worth paying extra.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
If you choose to live in a "diverse" neighborhood, feel free. But since as yet our government hasn't yet decided it has the right to choose where we live and who our neighbors will be, I doubt housing patterns will change much in the future, just liked they changed little overall despite past government social engineering. I think I have the right to choose where I want to live, since I'm the one paying for it, and while we still have unsupervised minors breaking into houses, we are unlikely to suffer violent crime. And that is worth paying extra.
There is plenty of evidence to support in fact that neighborhoods are in some areas becoming more diverse.

Census shows black population expanding in Dallas-Fort Worth suburbs

Quote:
In Collin and Denton counties, and in the suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth, black growth rates soared by as much as 178 percent over the past decade, with most of the growth going to rapidly expanding communities located near major job centers with quality schools.
Report Shows a Shifting African-American Population

Quote:
Though many marketers are focusing on how the 2010 U.S. Census will show growth in the Hispanic population, a new study argues that the African-American community presents another great opportunity. The report, commissioned by BET and based on U.S. Census Bureau data, shows that black Americans are both more well-off and more suburban than previously thought.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,579 times
Libertarian solution to segregation

For non-libertarians to recieve enlightenment, click here.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Then what would have helped? Looking at American history, the free market has never solved the issue of racial discrimination.
That is the million dollar question. Obviously when it comes to governments everyone must be equal and if discrimination is found it should be fixed and those who discriminate dealt with.

As I said before, we are now unknowingly giving racists our business, they are discriminating covertly and they may be doing unseemly things to minorities in secret.

Now I am not saying I have the answers on how we can get to the ideal but here is what I would like to see.

I would like for racists to be upfront, this way I would have an option to not patronize them. Of course minorities would not have the same option but as it is now they have an option but they are having to dealing with racists without knowing. If it were me, I would not want the option.

For companies that want to be inclusive they would be heavily scrutinized buy word of mouth, news reporters and organizations dedicated to keeping them honest.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
There is plenty of evidence to support in fact that neighborhoods are in some areas becoming more diverse.
Census shows black population expanding in Dallas-Fort Worth suburbs
Report Shows a Shifting African-American Population
I didn't see anything in the two articles that contradicted my post. From the first cite: “I think what we’re seeing is African-American suburbanization and growth everywhere in the Hispanic population,” said Dr. Steve Murdock, director of the Hobby Center for the Study of Texas at Rice University and former director of the Census Bureau. “At the same time, we’re seeing the Anglo population declining in 161 Texas counties, including Dallas,” he said.

So minorities, which procreate at much higher levels than most whites ("the black population is growing 34 percent faster than the population as a whole"), are expanding and populating in areas classified as suburban, and the white (Anglo) population is declining. It used to be known as "white flight," and probably can't be interpreted as a wholesale embrace of diverse communities by those who can afford to move elsewhere.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I see it as progress that if a person is discriminated against based on race, religion, national origin or ethnicity and that person is able to establish sufficient probable cause then a law suit can be filed and due process can be sought in a court of law.

If you want to discriminate nobody can stop you. But be aware you may be made to pay and pay dearly for doing so.

If you don't see the progress this country has made in the past 50 years in terms of civil rights you either haven't been living long enough or you just choose to ignore the facts.
I never said we haven't seen progress but some of it has been hidden.

Subtle discrimination is hard to prove.

As I said in another post, I wish there was a way I could know who to steer clear of.

It took me years to get to the point of even questioning this stuff, I had always thought that making discrimination illegal was the way to go. It wasn't until I was able to have a lot of good conversations with Richard Boddie Richard Boddie - Liberty in Our Lifetime . He lived through it all both pre-63 and after, he is the one who at least got me to question the status quo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Libertarian solution to segregation

For non-libertarians to recieve enlightenment, click here.
Good points.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
That is the million dollar question. Obviously when it comes to governments everyone must be equal and if discrimination is found it should be fixed and those who discriminate dealt with.

As I said before, we are now unknowingly giving racists our business, they are discriminating covertly and they may be doing unseemly things to minorities in secret.

Now I am not saying I have the answers on how we can get to the ideal but here is what I would like to see.

I would like for racists to be upfront, this way I would have an option to not patronize them. Of course minorities would not have the same option but as it is now they have an option but they are having to dealing with racists without knowing. If it were me, I would not want the option.

For companies that want to be inclusive they would be heavily scrutinized buy word of mouth, news reporters and organizations dedicated to keeping them honest.
There doesn't seem to be any good solution other than force. Sometimes people must be forced.

People these days hide their racist attitudes for the most part. Maybe today boycotting racist people might work. On the other hand, for me, as an African-American, I tend to look at it this way: There are places I go to everyday. Among them was Pinkberry in Atlanta this weekend. It is because of the Civil Rights Act that I can eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies