Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
I just watch a few minutes of his show and he had two men from I think from Liberty University. At least one of them said the Founding Fathers were Evangelical Christians - where is the evidence for this notion?

I believe most of them were Deists including Washington and Jefferson - meaning they believed that God created man, but certainly not Christians.
I guess you need to watch a bit more of Beck since those two men and others he has had on have held forth about the things Washington and Jefferson said in letters and speeches that indicate much more than Deists.

Why would Washington have allowed that painting of him praying on bent knee on the battlefield? Why would he have written the letter he wrote his wife after the battle in which nearly all British and colonists were killed to explain that he couldn't explain why he was still alive. He had two horses shot out from under him, three bullet holes in his tricorn hat, and numerous holes in his other cloths. Years later an old Indian who commanded the Indians in the battle said that he had ordered his best marksmen to kill Washington and that they reported back that they couldn't hit him. I think that when the old man said "The Great Spirit is with that man" he meant something that Washington took seriously. He also said that someday Washington would lead a great and powerful nation.

Whoops, that story came from the book that one of the men you are trying to discredit wrote about Washington. I guess no real liberals would write a book like that on. Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
DON'T listen to Doggie Beck and DON'T give into his delusions.
You can see his shows at: Watch The Glenn Beck Show- May 21, 2010- Founders' Friday- Revisionist History any time of day in case you miss his evening show.

Whoops, I forgot that you aren't brave enough to watch him and see your heroes exposed for what they really are. I guess I will just leave the link there so maybe some inquisitive minds can see him the easy way.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You can see his shows at: Watch The Glenn Beck Show- May 21, 2010- Founders' Friday- Revisionist History any time of day in case you miss his evening show.

Whoops, I forgot that you aren't brave enough to watch him and see your heroes exposed for what they really are. I guess I will just leave the link there so maybe some inquisitive minds can see him the easy way.
We can read the transcripts, which are bad enough, thanks.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
We can read the transcripts, which are bad enough, thanks.
Be it the video, or the transcripts, do it! Don't be afraid that you might just learn something. Do it.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrfan2187 View Post
Yup, this is the problem with modern day thinking. People have this idea that things change over time. The laws of the universe still stay the same, sure we have more technology but we are still the same human beings that have walked this earth for thousands of years. I usually compare this to sports (specifically football) each year plays get more and more complicated and new formations come out. Does this mean the same basic fundamentals still don't apply to when the game was first invented? Of course not, in fact the most successful college coaches are ones that preach fundamentals and spend entire practices working on form tackling, shedding blocks, etc. The best coaches know that you have to have the fundamentals down before you can learn any plays.

This is the same thing with business and our economy. In the 1920's everyone preached we were in a "new era" because they were smarter. Well just because we had more technology doesn't mean that valuations of companies still doesnt apply. So as the stock market continually outpaced the valuation of companies people insisted it was a new era. Then they were brought back to reality with the 1929 crash. This same thing happened in the 1990's. Everyone thought it was a new era. Well, we now had more technology but the basic business fundamentals still applied. You can't continually expect the stock market to go up when it continually outpaces what the businesses are actually worth. Eventually it will correct itself (the fundamentals of hundreds of years of history still apply). This same thing happened in the real estate market (2000's). We were in a new era, everybody could buy a house without even putting anything down. The government won't let housing prices fall, we could never go into another depression because we are so smart and the gov't won't let us. Well the basic fundamentals still apply. When you spend more than you make you can only survive for so long before things come crashing down, and if the population as a whole does this then the entire economy will come crashing down to fix itself. The fundamentals are still the same, and we can't prevent a depression. What we can do is bail everybody out, but this will just lead to inflation (much higher than the 1970's inflation) because you have to print money in order to make up for the debt accumulated. The recession is the correction, the boom was the problem because prices outpaced the actual values of houses and businesses (stocks). This is what most people don't get.

Now, the same thing still applies to gov't. The constitution was the basic foundation, and just because we have more technology doesn't mean the constitution doesn't matter. Just because more people live here doesn't mean the basic foundation of the constitution should be changed. It's complete nonsense and history has shown time and time and time and time again that every time people think it's a "new era," they get brought down to reality. Preaching that it's a "new era," in order to change the constitution is just a great way for them to take away the freedoms and the country our founding fathers wanted.

In many ways that's already occurred. There is no such thing as home ownership in this country. Even if you pay cash for a house you still have to pay rent to the gov't every yr in property taxes, and if you don't they can take your house. Your individual life is impeded every time you send your tax forms into the IRS because of all the information you must give. The IRS is completely unnecessary if we had a basic consumption tax. Then you would just be taxed every time you bought something and there would be no need for the IRS whatsoever. Anyway, the basic point is government has gotten much bigger than it was intended to get. The federal governments main job is to protect the borders and national defense (maybe infrastructure as well) but everything else is supposed to be left to the states. This way we have competing states, and if you don't like the tax code just move to the next state. This is the best system because it creates competition (like businesses in a free market). What we have now is basically a dictatorship. There is no escaping the federal gov't, even if you leave the US they have ways of making sure they still get taxes from you.

The average person doesn't even see the US as a republic anymore, they see it as a democracy. The founding fathers didn't believe in democracy. One of them actually said (can't remember who) that, "democracy is mob rule, 51% of the population can imprison 49% of the population." They wanted a republic with competing states, so the states had to fight for people to come and inhabit their land. If their tax codes weren't consumer or business friendly then people could leave to another state, resulting in the initial state having to lower taxes in order to get people to come to their state. It's just like how the free market drives down consumer good prices, same principle.

They also didn't believe in the ability to print money. They knew it would lead to inflation and demoralize peoples savings that they worked hard for. The poor, and middle class are going to be completely screwed from these bailouts. Over the next few years we are going to see inflation unprecedented in our countries history (inflation we haven't seen since the civil war). If you look at the facts, the amount of debt consumers have, the debt/GDP (which is well over 100% when you include Fannie and Freddie debt that the gov't has assumed) that the gov't has you will realize that it is a real possibility. The only argument I hear to this is that it won't happen because we are the US. Well was Citigroup unable to fail because they were the biggest bank in the world? Was Germany too big to have hyperinflation during the 1920's? The scariest thing about this is history has shown that as economies go down, everybody looks to the gov't for help. You look at Germany during the 1920's and that's how Hitler came about, he promised to get them out of their depression. I'm not saying that would happen here, but people need to know that's what happens when times are bad, so that if things ever got that bad here they know what not to do. And contrary to popular belief, we can't balance the budget. If the gov't cut every program in existence except medicare, medicaid, and social security...they don't have enough tax revenues to even make those payments. The scary thing (which Ben Bernanke touched on a month or so ago) is that as inflation increases, so do the payouts on these three programs. So we can't even print our way out of this mess without drastic cuts in those three programs. About a month ago Ben Bernanke warned Washington that they needed to get fiscal responsibilty back before any type of inflation begins to show.
That's an ambitious rant, but just one question - who's saying that the Constitution doesn't matter?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Be it the video, or the transcripts, do it! Don't be afraid that you might just learn something. Do it.
Actually this morning I read the one that relates to this thread, and posted the link to it; it's in here somewhere.

I like absorbing information through transcripts better than by watching TV: whatever entertainment factors were there to dress it up and shade it are all removed and there's nothing left but what was actually said; each particular show's purpose, overt and covert, stands out as you see the host moving from point to point and so on.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
I guess you need to watch a bit more of Beck since those two men and others he has had on have held forth about the things Washington and Jefferson said in letters and speeches that indicate much more than Deists.
Roy, apparently you missed this link earlier in the thread. As a former history teacher, I thought this would be the sort of site that you could either support or debunk.

What's your take on what they have to say about the FF?

Religion and the Founding Fathers (http://www.earlyamericanhistory.net/founding_fathers.htm - broken link)

Old 05-22-2010, 11:22 AM

1,089 posts, read 655,321 times
Quote:
Did the talk about the Jefferson Bible?

Jefferson Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Beck's viewers wouldn't have a clue, one way or the other.
Bob, will you accept my thanks for reminding me that I missed Beck yesterday since I was working when he was on. I went directly from this string of uninformed, Beck hater, posts and watched all 38 minutes that it took to watch it sans commercials. I have taken top doing that most of the time lately.

Anyway, let me say that none of you haters should ever watch him since you will certainly learn some things that may damage your thinking. For instance, yesterday he had three men on who he had had earlier. Burton Folsom, jr. a professor at Hillsdale College, who is an authority on FDR and Wilson; Peter Lillback who wrote a history of Washington that none of our progressive revisionists would ever look at, and Jerry Falwell, Jr. Yep Falwell is the son of the Jerry Falwell that you progressives love to castigate because he refused to be pushed around from his Christian beliefs.

I really enjoyed watching yesterday's show, especially when the 17 year old girl said she had never heard any of the things these men say. I also got a kick out of the boy, a high school junior, talking about studying American History one year in Junior High and taking the only class offered in High School now, not at all before and never after.

Have you ever heard about the words at the top of the Washington Monument? Probably not unless some foul Republican Christian told you about them. Various people talked about the fact that the east side of that place is never showed in videos or movies these days. Do you know why that is. Beck even mentioned that the main reason people have to go up on the monument in the elevator rather than the stairs must be because of all the quotes from the Bible on the stairs all the way up.

You guys did me a real favor since I might have forgotten to watch that show. Thanks to all of you.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I would love to walk up those stairs and read.
mag32gie, there may be a tour you can take to walk down the stairs from the top with a park guide, and see the stones. I read this at a number of commercial DC tour sites but there's no mention of one at the National Park Service's WM page. Doesnt mean there isnt one, though.

Here are photos of all the stones: Washington Monument National Monument - Photos & Multimedia (U.S. National Park Service)

Oh wow, guess what! Someone this very morning went and vandalized the Washington Monument entry at Wikipedia, this sentence:
The stairs are no longer accessible to the general public due to safety issues and vandalism of the interior commemorative plaques.
and added (incorrectly)
, engraved with bible verses,
and
(yeah right)
I know it was one of you guys! Give it a look before I go in and revert it

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...action=history

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...undo=363576554

(you might have capitalized "Bible" while you were vandalizing )

edit2 -- created a new account just to revert your vandalism, whoever did that. Next time act your age....

Last edited by delusianne; 05-22-2010 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: update re revert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies