Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I personally am VERY tired of the moaning and groaning about Katrina. I lived for over 30 years in Houston, SW Louisiana, and New Orleans. In that time I have experienced a number of hurricanes. I even had 3.5 feet of flood water in my house in 1979. After that occurrence my husband and I by ourselves did ALL the work to repair the house. It took us approximately 6 months to accomplish. We pulled and replaced sheetrock, removed and replaced flooring, removed and replaced cabinetry in kitchen and baths,etc. We got no federal assistance. There were no telethons or teams of people moving in to rebuild for us. Where were Brad Pitt, Oprah and Nate, etc???? We did the work, because we could not afford to hire the work done. That being said it has been almost 5 years since Katrina. I think it is about time to stop riding that dead horse!!!
And by the way, at the time, I told my sister who is a staunch republican that there was plenty of blame to go around with Katrina so I definitely don't give GWB a free ride. I just feel that it is time to move on!!!
Agreed Was actually at home during Hurricane Opal, and The Georges. Know exactly how you feel. Hope we
have an uneventful season this year Let's all Keep Our Fingers Crossed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
This definitely narrows down the cause...

BP Used Riskier Method to Seal Well Before Blast

Several days before the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, BP officials chose, partly for financial reasons, to use a type of casing for the well that the company knew was the riskier of two options, according to a BP document.

The concern with the method BP chose, the document said, was that if the cement around the casing pipe did not seal properly, gases could leak all the way to the wellhead, where only a single seal would serve as a barrier.

Using a different type of casing would have provided two barriers, according to the document, which was provided to The New York Times by a Congressional investigator.

Workers from the rig and company officials have said that hours before the explosion, gases were leaking through the cement, which had been set in place by the oil services contractor, Halliburton. Investigators have said these leaks were the likely cause of the explosion.

The approach taken by the company was described as the “best economic case” in the BP document.

But, the BP records explain, the casing chosen by the company may also cause problems if drilling mud or cement is lost or pushed away from the well into porous rocks as it is pumped.

The BP officials said that rig workers apparently had not pumped in enough water to fully replace the buffer liquid between the water and the mud, which stayed in the blowout preventer, the stack of safety valves at the wellhead.

This thick liquid, which is about one-third solid material, may have clogged the pipe that was used for crucial “negative pressure” tests to determine whether the well was properly sealed. The result was a pressure reading of zero (because the pipe was plugged, not because there was no pressure in the well) and the workers apparently misinterpreted that result as indicating a successful test.

Rig workers declared they were “satisfied” with the tests and started to replace drilling mud in the pipe to the seabed with water. About two hours later, the blowout and explosion occurred.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM

138 posts, read 165,405 times
Nobama just announced his administration is all over this incident like stink on a monkey.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

[i][color=DarkRed]Several days before the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, BP officials chose, partly for financial reasons, to use a type of casing for the well that the company knew was the riskier of two options, according to a BP document.

The concern with the method BP chose, the document said, was that if the cement around the casing pipe did not seal properly, gases could leak all the way to the wellhead, where only a single seal would serve as a barrier.

Using a different type of casing would have provided two barriers, according to the document, which was provided to The New York Times by a Congressional investigator.

Workers from the rig and company officials have said that hours before the explosion, gases were leaking through the cement, which had been set in place by the oil services contractor, Halliburton. Investigators have said these leaks were the likely cause of the explosion.

The approach taken by the company was described as the “best economic case†in the BP document.
18 blowouts in the Gulf since 1996 were due to poor workmanship injecting cement around the metal pipe. Halliburton is currently under investigation by the Australian government for a massive blowout in the Timor Sea in 2005 caused by its faulty application of concrete casing.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
British Petroleum caused the spill by accident or by negligence. But Obama has seemed to have done next to nothing to try to force a quick solution to the spill. This is Katrina all over again. So who deserves blame for this ever increasing disater? BP or BO or BOTH?

Who's to say there was a quick solution?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Several days before the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, BP officials chose, partly for financial reasons, to use a type of casing for the well that the company knew was the riskier of two options, according to a BP document.

The approach taken by the company was described as the “best economic case†in the BP document.

But, the BP records explain, the casing chosen by the company may also cause problems if drilling mud or cement is lost or pushed away from the well into porous rocks as it is pumped.

The BP officials said that rig workers apparently had not pumped in enough water to fully replace the buffer liquid between the water and the mud, which stayed in the blowout preventer, the stack of safety valves at the wellhead.

This thick liquid, which is about one-third solid material, may have clogged the pipe that was used for crucial “negative pressure†tests to determine whether the well was properly sealed. The result was a pressure reading of zero (because the pipe was plugged, not because there was no pressure in the well) and the workers apparently misinterpreted that result as indicating a successful test.

Rig workers declared they were “satisfied†with the tests and started to replace drilling mud in the pipe to the seabed with water. About two hours later, the blowout and explosion occurred.
I read that. BP, et. al has a lot of 'splaining to do.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Remember the "energy summit" about nine and a half years ago? You get three guesses (and the first 2 don't count) on how BP was allowed to drill w/o the proper cutoff valve that would have prevented this tragedy.

Place the blame where it belongs (http://yellowcakewalk.net/images/got_oil_small.jpg - broken link)
They won't let me rep you. . . .but I "rep you" anyway! right on!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
One more...

Doc: BP Opted for Cheaper, Riskier Well Casing

The investigators also said that a "loss of integrity" of the wellhead's casing created a path for hydrocarbons to enter the well.

In addition, Mark Bly, the company's group head of safety and operations, said that there was a gas plume before the explosion.

"This was a pretty large plume of gas ... I think it was a large enough where there was a high likelihood it would have ignited," he said.

There were other signs of problems, including an unexpected loss of fluid from a pipe known as a riser five hours before the explosion that could have indicated a leak in the blowout preventer.

The witness statements show that rig workers talked just minutes before the blowout about pressure problems in the well. At first, nobody seemed too worried, with Transocean chief mate David Young leaving two workers to handle the difficulty on their own and telling them to call when he was needed. The well site leader worked in his office. Then panic set in.

Workers called their bosses to report that the well was "coming in" and that they were "getting mud back." The drilling supervisor, Jason Anderson, tried to shut down the well.

It didn't work.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
The oil companies caused the problem, but Obama's response has been limited to anger and blame. He and his administration have done nothing to help and have even hindered progress.

His first priority is to establish blame, and then ensure that he isn't the one in the limelight. After that, he would rather have fun with sports teams while the Gulf Coast is swamped with oil.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Remember the "energy summit" about nine and a half years ago? You get three guesses (and the first 2 don't count) on how BP was allowed to drill w/o the proper cutoff valve that would have prevented this tragedy.

Place the blame where it belongs (http://yellowcakewalk.net/images/got_oil_small.jpg - broken link)
Dick Cheney restaffed the Minerals Management Service with "his friends" in 2001. Bush's 2005 energy bill dropped the Minerals Management Service recommendation that oil companies fit every Deep Water oil well with a $500,000 "acoustical regulator" an automatic shut-off switch. It would have prevented the British Petroleum spill.

Do I win a prize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies