Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:06 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Because Dems, media and even Obama, talked out their posteriors about him being entirely the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Good comments. George Bush won the 2000 election under controversal circumstances. He was given that position by one of the worst Supreme Court decisions since Dred Scott. Al Gore would've been a better choice, no question. Bush was given a surplus too. 9/11 happened and so came his mechanism for engaging in some cause to keep from addressing THIS country's problems. I expected Bush to do what Republicans do: wreck the economy, support the good ole boy network, make it fashionable to be a racist, be divisive, and be a warmongerer. This country regressed under Bush. He lied to get congressional authorization to engage this country in an ideological war that was unnecessary. The man had the greatest hindsight of any previous president, yet was an utter failure. His reelection campaign stressed that he should be allowed to do another term to "finish the job." Absolutely pathetic. He wrecked this country. But we found out that his party, Republicans, really don't have any answers. Their short-sighted approach to every problem is to focus on keeping taxes low. For 8 years they did this, and look what happened. Neanderthal non-solutions and neanderthal diplomacy. Republicans stink.

Enter Barack Obama, the worst nightmare for the Regressives. He's articulate, intelligent, almost overqualified. He carefully analyzes problems and they take time because he draws consensus, not just among Dems, but Regressives too. He engages the opposing side, giving them a chance to do something they rarely do which is come up with a good idea. He considers all options for deciding on the best solution. President Obama was given the worst mess in history and it's going to take time to work through the problems created by 8 horrific years of Republican-Bush control. Obama doing an excellent job! We're fortunate to have this man at the helm until 2016!
Hook, line and sinker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 04:13 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
So yet another thread about how GWB screwed up the country so badly. It is getting old. Obama has done NOTHING to help this country. He is an embarrassment.
His predecessor also did nothing to help this country. So you're hatred of Obama is what? That he isn't doing what he promised? Or that he's not solving the problems the way you want?

This thread was (as I read it) intended to explore why people blame Obama for practically everything. In your response, you gloss over the Bush years and call Obama a failure. Is it even possible for Obama to do anything right in your view?

My view is that Obama is Bush 2.5. He is the product of the elite (aka corporate) powerbrokers of the world. Somehow, they managed to create a puppet that uses lovely and inspiring rhetoric. But it's a lie, just like the last ten Presidents. I don't blame him entirely for the state of our country, it's insane to do so. But my patience is wearing thin. And I'm pissed off that we all got suckered yet again into thinking change is in the air.

I read somewhere that hope is the most disempowering emotion. It takes you out of the current moment and makes you dream of something intangible, of thoughts and desires not yet made real. Power is not in the dreams of the future, it's in the here and now.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:14 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Good comments. George Bush won the 2000 election under controversal circumstances. He was given that position by one of the worst Supreme Court decisions since Dred Scott. Al Gore would've been a better choice, no question. Bush was given a surplus too. 9/11 happened and so came his mechanism for engaging in some cause to keep from addressing THIS country's problems. I expected Bush to do what Republicans do: wreck the economy, support the good ole boy network, make it fashionable to be a racist, be divisive, and be a warmongerer. This country regressed under Bush. He lied to get congressional authorization to engage this country in an ideological war that was unnecessary. The man had the greatest hindsight of any previous president, yet was an utter failure. His reelection campaign stressed that he should be allowed to do another term to "finish the job." Absolutely pathetic. He wrecked this country. But we found out that his party, Republicans, really don't have any answers. Their short-sighted approach to every problem is to focus on keeping taxes low. For 8 years they did this, and look what happened. Neanderthal non-solutions and neanderthal diplomacy. Republicans stink.

Enter Barack Obama, the worst nightmare for the Regressives. He's articulate, intelligent, almost overqualified. He carefully analyzes problems and they take time because he draws consensus, not just among Dems, but Regressives too. He engages the opposing side, giving them a chance to do something they rarely do which is come up with a good idea. He considers all options for deciding on the best solution. President Obama was given the worst mess in history and it's going to take time to work through the problems created by 8 horrific years of Republican-Bush control. Obama doing an excellent job! We're fortunate to have this man at the helm until 2016!
Ah so what does our great CIC do? He doubles down. He is escalating Afganistan. And he quadrupled the debt! Well done. If you hated GWB you should loath BHO!

Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
My thoughts? He's the President who accepted a difficult job. Now its time to quit bitching about how we got here, and do your job to fix it.

IMO his persona is part of the problem. He needs to lead, but not continually lecture. He is no longer a community organizer, he's the President of the entire US population. If he just wants to lecture, go back to Harvard or Chicago. Maybe get a talk show.

The Arizona law debacle further shows his weakness. Instead of admitting that the Fed govt has been negligent in their duty in protecting the citizens of Arizona,(and the whole country) he sided with the Mexican President (although Mexico has far more intolerant and intensive profiling laws regarding immigration into its country). That scene and the whole standing ovation by Congress won't soon be forgotten by a lot of Americans who felt their govt was incorrectly supporting Mexico.

Also, basically, the buck stops on the desk of the President no matter who it is. You take the blame and get the glory even if you have nothing to do with it. That is part of the job decription, like it or not. That is why Presidents look so bad after they leave office. The stress kills them.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Why do people think Obama is entirely the problem?

We know why but we have to pretend like "its" not true. Shhhh.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I personally realize that Obama's cures for our problems have been very slow but are people really this delusional? Bush screwed us for 8 years. Just because he is no longer in the big seat, it DOES NOT change history. We know how we got here. There were many factors and I can't blame Georgie Boy for all of them, but most....YES. Forget about being a bad president, he was and is still an idiot. I wouldn't hire the guy to bag my groceries. Bush bankrupted a country and got us into 2 wars, and one specifically (Iraq), that never should have happened anyway. Why do you think that Bush has been rubbing elbows with Clinton? Looks like a poor attempt to build up his credibility. And to think, we tried to impeach Clinton. If that's the case, what should we have done to Bush? I'll leave that one alone. Now Obama has to clean up this huge mess and everyone wants it done overnight. Yes, I think Obama should be tougher, and yes I think he needs to speed it up; but this is going to take time. 8 years of crap is not taken care of in a little over a year! Any thoughts?
Oh enough with the Obama has to clean up a mess. No one made him apply for this job. I am so sick of hearing that.

Tell me something what do you think Obama is doing that is so different then Bush?

I am so sick of hearing democrats complain about things Bush did but make excuses for Obama doing them also.

Remember when democrats complained about
Spending
National debt
Gitmo
wars
Patriot act
Warrant less wire taps
Lobbyist
Wasteful spending etc etc

Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
My thoughts? He's the President who accepted a difficult job. Now its time to quit bitching about how we got here, and do your job to fix it.

IMO his persona is part of the problem. He needs to lead, but not continually lecture. He is no longer a community organizer, he's the President of the entire US population. If he just wants to lecture, go back to Harvard or Chicago. Maybe get a talk show.

The Arizona law debacle further shows his weakness. Instead of admitting that the Fed govt has been negligent in their duty in protecting the citizens of Arizona,(and the whole country) he sided with the Mexican President (although Mexico has far more intolerant and intensive profiling laws regarding immigration into its country). That scene and the whole standing ovation by Congress won't soon be forgotten by a lot of Americans who felt their govt was incorrectly supporting Mexico.

Also, basically, the buck stops on the desk of the President no matter who it is. You take the blame and get the glory even if you have nothing to do with it. That is part of the job decription, like it or not. That is why Presidents look so bad after they leave office. The stress kills them.
Why didn't that buck ever stop on Bush's desk? You guys weren't whining about the border during his 8 years in office but now it's (politically expedient) the most important thing in the country. Obama wants to reform Immigration while John McCain and the like continue to build the same fence he's been building and not building (depending on the electorate at that moment) for 30 years. At some point you will have to be honest about your hatred for Obama. You can't be silent for 8 years while problems persist then suddenly expect Obama to have solved them ALL in 16 months.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Why do people think Obama is entirely the problem?

We know why but we have to pretend like "its" not true. Shhhh.

No, no I am perfectly willing to tell you. He is at the helm when the deficit quadrupled, no one else. Is this a great achievement? No pretending, it is a fact. Obama increased troop levels in Afghanistan, we are still in Iraq. He is backing off his pledge not to raise taxes on those under $250K. Is there another reason you have in mind? Are these insufficient for you?

Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Oh enough with the Obama has to clean up a mess. No one made him apply for this job. I am so sick of hearing that.

Tell me something what do you think Obama is doing that is so different then Bush?

I am so sick of hearing democrats complain about things Bush did but make excuses for Obama doing them also.

Remember when democrats complained about
Spending
National debt
Gitmo
wars
Patriot act
Warrant less wire taps
Lobbyist
Wasteful spending etc etc
Enough pretending like he didn't inherit a mess and a republican party that only serves to obstruct. I hope Obama never lets you forget who CAUSED all of these problems. Bush doubled the deficit, spent out of mind, opened GITMO, signed the patriot act, authorized warrantless wire taps, slurped lobbyist and was as wasteful as any President in history. Whodini couldn't fix all that plus in 16 months.

THis is why we know why you hate him but we wont say it

Old 05-23-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No, no I am perfectly willing to tell you. He is at the helm when the deficit quadrupled, no one else. Is this a great achievement? No pretending, it is a fact. Obama increased troop levels in Afghanistan, we are still in Iraq. He is backing off his pledge not to raise taxes on those under $250K. Is there another reason you have in mind? Are these insufficient for you?
No, Obama has NOT quadrupled deficit. Nice attempt at word trickery. Obama said he was doubling down in Afghanistan and were on schedule to leave Iraq. Where he is backing off his pledge on taxes?? You haven't posed any legit reasons.

Again we know why but we'll keep your secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies