Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Okay.

That says it is a crime to bribe somebody to get a job. Are you accusing Sestak of bribing the White House to get a job that it appears he was voluntarily offered?

I don't get the connection here. Please... explain.
You have scenario reversed.

The White House is the briber and Stesak is the bribee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times
Quote:
Actually... I cannot for the life of me see a problem with it.

Since when do political parties not have conversations about what job somebody should have?
It was a bribe. It wasnt just "hey, you want a job". They didnt want him running against "their boy" so they bribed him. Most Americans think DC is full of crooks and liars, and this is just another example of that. You can say you dont care, but others do. I think the majority of those who say they dont care, only dont care because if true, it would hurt the Obama admin.

And whether you think its true or not, the truth should come out. What happened to the most transparent Administration ever? How many times did we hear that? Yet its been over a year, and there's been hardly any transparency in this administration.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You have scenario reversed.

The White House is the briber and Stesak is the bribee.
That's what I thought.

Therefore, according to that law, no crime was committed.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Default uh huh

Quote:
That's what I thought.

Therefore, according to that law, no crime was committed.
Gee a few posts back you weren't even familiar with the situation.
So much for your thoughts

Old 05-24-2010, 04:57 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
One last point, In 2004 when Sestak ran for Congress, the Democratic machine here in Pennsylvania got all other Democratic candidates to drop out of the race so that Joe could have a clear shot as the war hero candidate. So, when I hear Joe, who I personally consider to be a backstabbing lying piece of garbage (this is based upon personal dealings) I can only shake my head as the bald faced hypocrisy of the man.

And yes, as a Democrat, I will still vote for him in November.
YOU are just an example of exactly what's wrong with many voters. So stuck in your partisan BS, that youll vote for someone you feel that way about, strictly because of the letter next to his name. ITs people like you, that goes for both Republican/Democrat voters, who arent helping this country. You and those who know nothing about anything because their too caught up in American Idol and Dancing with the "stars", and only vote for who the media/hollywood is gushing over..aka ..the "cool and popular" candidate.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
It was a bribe. It wasnt just "hey, you want a job". They didnt want him running against "their boy" so they bribed him.
That's not a bribe. That's slate making. That's a political party trying to make decisions around political strategy.

There's nothing wrong with it.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Gee a few posts back you weren't even familiar with the situation.
Welcome to the Socratic method. Stick around and you might learn something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest
So much for your thoughts
So much for your "legal citation."

Old 05-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
YOU are just an example of exactly what's wrong with many voters. So stuck in your partisan BS, that youll vote for someone you feel that way about, strictly because of the letter next to his name. ITs people like you, that goes for both Republican/Democrat voters, who arent helping this country. You and those who know nothing about anything because their too caught up in American Idol and Dancing with the "stars", and only vote for who the media/hollywood is gushing over..aka ..the "cool and popular" candidate.
So... what law was broken here? Exactly?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Default oh brother

Quote:
Welcome to the Socratic method. Stick around and you might learn something.

So much for your "legal citation."
yeah you really schooled us.
Quote:
Title 18, U.S.C. Section 211 says, “Whoever solicits or receives, either as a political contribution or for personal emolument, any money or thing of value, in consideration of the promise of support or use of influence in obtaining for any person any appointive office or place under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year or both.”

Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
yeah you really schooled us.
Apparently not. You just posted again a law that has nothing to do with what happened here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies