Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times

Advertisements

Well I'm glad that SOMEONE is concerned enough about this disaster to try SOMETHING, unlike our POTUS who is sitting idly by while BP fails at attempt after attempt. For all the people trying to politicize Jindal's actions, you are the same people who would be crying "Look! a repub governor who doesn't care about his state does nothing about the oil leak!" in a damned if you do, damned if you don't way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Well I'm glad that SOMEONE is concerned enough about this disaster to try SOMETHING, unlike our POTUS who is sitting idly by while BP fails at attempt after attempt. For all the people trying to politicize Jindal's actions, you are the same people who would be crying "Look! a repub governor who doesn't care about his state does nothing about the oil leak!" in a damned if you do, damned if you don't way.
Obama is not sitting idly by, for Pete's sake, but there's a limit to what the president personally can do and one thing the fed govt cant do is rush in willy nilly as the people of the state of LA can. Its arms in this matter -- not defending the Army Corps of Engineers, but the Coast Guard too -- have to take a professional and cautionary approach. Jindal is politicizing this himself; he's had three years to consider mitigation for this horrible scenario.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:12 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What exactly do you expect Obama to do that he's not doing already?
...the Coast Guard commandant, Adm. Thad W. Allen, who said on CNN’s “State of the Union” program that the access BP has to the mile-deep well site meant that the government could not take over the lead in efforts to stop the leak.

“They are necessarily the modality by which this is going to get solved,” he said.

BP Delays New Attempt to Stop Oil Leak - NYTimes.com
Of course everyone understands something must be done and Louisianans naturally want to be doing something, anything, but the sand berm solution may be a lot of wasted activity and expense.
“If we use the good sand that we have for this quick-and-dirty berm, and a storm comes in and spreads it around, we’ve lost the major sand resource that we wanted to use for barrier-island restoration,” Dr. Reed said. “We could compromise the long-term restoration of the coast for a short-term gain.”
But Dr. Sallenger, like other experts, noted that the dredging project would take months to complete, and the oil is already showing up in the marshes. “My first question is whether such a thing could be done, from a scientific basis, quickly enough to be useful,” he said.

Experts Express Doubts on Sand-Berm Proposal - NYTimes.com
Everyone understands Louisianans' impatience and frustration -- even Obama.

Jindal has always been a proponent of offshore drilling; maybe he should have considered how to manage or mitigate worst case scenarios such as this one, as part of the responsibilities inherent in "drill baby drill," before disaster hit.
I don't want to hear from some Coast Guard guy, they're taking orders from BP anyway.

Where is Obama? What has he done, since this started 34 days ago..held a couple lousy news conferences? A lot of talk but no action..

Now I hear he's heading to some major fund raisers this coming week. Don't you think what's going on in the Gulf takes precedence ? His response to this disaster has been tepid at best.

Why is Obama allowing BP to tell the EPA NO, after they issued a directive telling BP to stop using the toxic dispersant Corexit?

Why doesn't he step in personally and take charge? Why?..because he's in bed with Big Oil that's why.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I don't want to hear from some Coast Guard guy, they're taking orders from BP anyway.

Where is Obama? What has he done, since this started 34 days ago..held a couple lousy news conferences? A lot of talk but no action..

Now I hear he's heading to a couple major fund raisers this coming week. Don't you think what's going on in the Gulf takes precedence ? His response to this disaster has been tepid at best.

Why is Obama allowing BP to tell the EPA NO, after they issued a directive telling BP to stop using the toxic dispersant Corexit?

Why doesn't he step in personally and take charge? Why?..because he's in bed with Big Oil that's why.
I have to agree with you Upton. His response has been very disappointing as POTUS, and I don't care if he's (R) or (D), this is going to go down as the WORST man made disaster in the history of mankind. He's allowing BP to call the shots, the same company that caused this mess and who is now spitting in the face of the EPA. Meanwhile, Obama jettisons across the country on other (seemingly more important) matters. It's just disgusting.

Oh, and both parties are in bed with big oil. Big oil floods both parties with big money to secure their own interests.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Upton and whatyousay,
TrueSlant’s Jeff McMahon.... explains how the Oil Pollution Act is governing behavior.
[T]he Oil Pollution Act, signed into law by President George H.W. Bush in 1990, restricts government involvement in oil spills to a supervisory role. The law was designed to avoid the situation that followed the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill, in which the government was left to clean up a private company’s mess and then had to sue the company to recover costs.
Political Wisdom: Exploring the BP-U.S. Relationship - Capital Journal - WSJ
Key Provisions of the Oil Pollution Act

§1002(a) Provides that the responsible party for a vessel or facility from which oil is discharged, or which poses a substantial threat of a discharge, is liable for: (1) certain specified damages resulting from the discharged oil; and (2) removal costs incurred in a manner consistent with the National Contingency Plan (NCP).....
Oil Pollution Act Overview | Emergency Management | US EPA

Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 AM

Not sure if your sources have shared, but Obama met with Jindal in NO five days ago, when he went out personally to see what was being done.

Maybe your disappointment comes from Obama not ripping off his shirt and striding in to pose for "Mission Accomplished!"-type pictures?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Upton and whatyousay,
TrueSlant’s Jeff McMahon.... explains how the Oil Pollution Act is governing behavior.
[T]he Oil Pollution Act, signed into law by President George H.W. Bush in 1990, restricts government involvement in oil spills to a supervisory role. The law was designed to avoid the situation that followed the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill, in which the government was left to clean up a private company’s mess and then had to sue the company to recover costs.
Political Wisdom: Exploring the BP-U.S. Relationship - Capital Journal - WSJ
Key Provisions of the Oil Pollution Act

§1002(a) Provides that the responsible party for a vessel or facility from which oil is discharged, or which poses a substantial threat of a discharge, is liable for: (1) certain specified damages resulting from the discharged oil; and (2) removal costs incurred in a manner consistent with the National Contingency Plan (NCP).....
Oil Pollution Act Overview | Emergency Management | US EPA
You're right, we should sit back and let BP fix this mess on its own while our shores are decimated. GREAT idea!

And we're not just talking about cleaning up the mess, but from preventing further damage by stopping the leak and keeping it off the shores.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You're right, we should sit back and let BP fix this mess on its own while our shores are decimated. GREAT idea!

And we're not just talking about cleaning up the mess, but from preventing further damage by stopping the leak and keeping it off the shores.
No, that's not the point. The point is the federal response cant be the same as the people of LA's response. No matter how attractive and comfortable he RW blogosphere's cartoon take on this may be to you, it's ridiculously inaccurate.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
No kidding, really?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
You should take a trip with him since he seems to know more than you. The Louisiana coast is nothing but sand and brackish water. It's not powder white sand like most people know about but it's sand.
As the old Cajuns would say...

Ah, ju tink that dere Bobby knows the Gulf likes I do! Well boy let me tells you sumptin, I was fishing dem waters fo Bobby boy was even a crawfish in his momma's eye!

Seriously, when I was a kid my uncles and I fished from Bay Champagne to Drum Bay for perch, crabs, and red fish from the time I was 7 till I went into the service in 1970, a year before Bobby was born in Baton Rouge (150 miles from the Delta). When I got out of the service in 1974, I worked for J.R. McDermott on pipeline barges out of Morgan City. I know the Mississippi Delta! And, while there are large stretches of sand beaches, the real issue are the marshes where marsh grass grows in the water along the shore. You can't build sand berms where sand doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies