Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:29 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right..............................

I think the only thing we have learned from this mess is to not elect another Kenyan for President.
So, even if the tin-foil-hat birther allegations are true, and Obama's mother was in Kenya the day of his birth instead of Hawaii, yet every other aspect of his life was exactly the same, how would this affect him taking money from BP's employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't work for BP, so I don't know how they specifically view certain political parties or certain political candidates. Did Obama lay out plans for expanded offshore drilling during the campaign? Did he advocate for domestic oil exploration in the heartland?

All it takes is for the CEO to send out a company-wide email stating that BP will be in a good position to capitalize on expanded offshore/domestic exploration (without even naming Obama) and the message would be wholly understood that Obama would be a good person to contribute money too. This is just an example, but there are many ways to make subtle hints without breaking any campaign contribution laws.
I understand what you're saying but obviously the "drill baby drill" mantra was not associated with the Obama campaign. Seriously, trying to blame or tie everything negative to Obama has gotten old. There is a bigger issue at stake here. It is annoying that rather than show concern for the issues some people feel the need to bash Obama every chance they get even when they know good and well that it is NOT his fault. You have every right to criticize him or every other president but when one sees him as the root of all evil, it is extreme, delusional and shows that you have very little credibility. So more BP employees donated to Obama than McCain, does that change the fact that oil is uncontrollably leaking into the ocean? We all know what the intent was when Palin made the statement.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Over the last 20 years...not just in 2008.

Lets see, $77,000 divided by 20 years equals (quick calculation on my lunch napkin) oh $3850 per year. Oh yes! That will buy a politician. I am sure they are real cozzzzzzzzzzzzy in bed together.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I understand what you're saying but obviously the "drill baby drill" mantra was not associated with the Obama campaign. Seriously, trying to blame or tie everything negative to Obama has gotten old. There is a bigger issue at stake here. It is annoying that rather than show concern for the issues some people feel the need to bash Obama every chance they get even when they know good and well that it is NOT his fault. You have every right to criticize him or every other president but when one sees him as the root of all evil, it is extreme, delusional and shows that you have very little credibility. So more BP employees donated to Obama than McCain, does that change the fact that oil is uncontrollably leaking into the ocean? We all know what the intent was when Palin made the statement.
I agree. This is politiking at its best (?). I don't disagree with you. But it shouldn't surprise anyone that its being pointed out.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:34 PM

38 posts, read 71,856 times
The corporations pay the employees back for all contributions. A little trick to get around the max amount the corp can donate...

Old 05-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Sunday View Post
The corporations pay the employees back for all contributions. A little trick to get around the max amount the corp can donate...
What corporation does that? Mine certainly doesn't but they do match my United Way donations.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Ummm...no, sorry but in most large corporations political discussion or influence is discouraged and I am quite sure that the store clerk working the register at one of their gas stations has a very different view than the CEO. People are not programmed like robots as you would like us to believe and their political views are shaped by life experience. If you raised by Republicans, identify with Republicans and never think of being anything else, I seriously doubt that getting a job at a new company would change that. I work for a very large corporation and I live in Texas, I am sure that the party donations here vary from our offices in MA, NY or CA. They do not tell us who to vote for and based on what I've heard in this office and the fact that our break room TV is on FOX almost every time I go in there, I am sure that most people here donated to McCain. However, if the company as a whole was polled, there are probably more employees that donated to Obama.

BOTTOM LINE: MS. "DRILL BABY DRILL" DISTORTED THE TRUTH IN AN ATTEMPT TO FURTHER HER AGENDA.
Did she happen to mention how much money her family received from BP, you know, for full disclosure and all...

Mr. Palin goes back to Prudhoe - KTUU.com | Alaska's news and information source |

"For eighteen long years, that dodgy, not-to-be-trusted foreign oil company known as British Petroleum employed one Todd Palin."

Palin Questions Trusting "Foreign" BP - Newsflash: Todd Palin Worked There // Current

Old 05-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Did she happen to mention how much money her family received from BP, you know, for full disclosure and all...

Mr. Palin goes back to Prudhoe - KTUU.com | Alaska's news and information source |

"For eighteen long years, that dodgy, not-to-be-trusted foreign oil company known as British Petroleum employed one Todd Palin."

Palin Questions Trusting "Foreign" BP - Newsflash: Todd Palin Worked There // Current
Conveniently, no...didn't know BP was in the business of commercial fishing

Old 05-24-2010, 03:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Over the last 20 years...not just in 2008.
BP started paying Obama when he was 28?

That's amazing! You'd think if they could see that clearly into the future they'd have done something to prevent this oil spill.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:11 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Political discussion is discouraged in most workplace environments. You are correct. But as you move up the totem pole, you learn that certain views are understood to be accepted, such as which political party is in power and how will that benefit the corporation (or not). Those figures in the upper ranks know how the system works, and the implied pressure is there. Is it outwardly discussed? Nope. But its there, and the donations flow accordingly.
Let me just agree with you here

In my 25 years where I work I have reached a "certain" position (in fact, I retire at end June).

Firstly, it is quite clear where the allegiance of the very senior management resides. Just look at the photos of them taken with a "certain" vice-president that adorn their office furniture.

Secondly, there is overt pressure on staff at my level to contribute to the PAC (I could show you the emails).

Thirdly, during the primaries I was asked by my direct boss to contribute to the campaign of one of the contenders (not Obama).

Fourthly, and again during the primaries, another very senior manager was overtly coordinating "invitations" to a fund-raiser where a certain former president was rumored to be in attendance.

I would emphasize that I have never been criticized or otherwise penalized for my own political views. However, had I chosen to be an active player in "the game", I could have got a lot of exposure to the movers and shakers where I work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies