Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

The Mystery of Welfare and the Recession - BusinessWeek

Based on the amount of screaming on CD about welfare recipients, you'd think that number of welfare recipients and the amount spent is growing. It's shrinking...

So why all the screaming from the right? It is that welfare recipients, like illegal aliens are simply another convenient scapegoat for the right to inflame middle class, traditionally democratic voters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
If inflaming "middle class, traditionally Democratic voters" gets them off their collective asses and out there doing something productive, then i'd say us conservative inflamers have been successful.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Because everybody is on unemployment now. Not to mention the other endless list of subsidees and title ## programs. Grow government, that's the plan...

Old 05-24-2010, 08:45 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Yep. Their rhetoric lags about 20 years back. They think their taxes are high and welfare is some big part of the budget.

If they only knew taxes are at an all time low and the absurd Defense budget ( that they will not ever criticize) dwarfs welfare.

The GOP keeps drilling these lies into their heads because they need to divide Americans along racial and cultural divides in order to keep ignorant lower and middle class whites voting against their own family's interests.

It's worked like a charm. Amazing how deluded people can be.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
my best guess. . . because an man with African heritage is in the White House. . . .
also, of course, a Democrat! Republicans are just "bad losers". . . .

Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Because everybody is on unemployment now. Not to mention the other endless list of subsidees and title ## programs. Grow government, that's the plan...
Is unemployment insurance or an entitlement? Just curious what you think. I have always looked at it as insurance... The one time I received unemployment was for about four weeks in Texas. About seven years ago. My salary had been at the time $42,000/ year. My unemployment was $320 every two weeks. Not much of a benefit.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Is unemployment insurance or an entitlement? Just curious what you think. I have always looked at it as insurance... The one time I received unemployment was for about four weeks in Texas. About seven years ago. My salary had been at the time $42,000/ year. My unemployment was $320 every two weeks. Not much of a benefit.
Yep, That's another myth. These right wingers lump unemployment benefits and Social Security as "welfare".

Despite the fact you don't get either if you didn't work and pay into the system with your own money.

They're very confused.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:

Based on the amount of screaming on CD about welfare recipients, you'd think that number of welfare recipients and the amount spent is growing. It's shrinking...

So why all the screaming from the right? It is that welfare recipients, like illegal aliens are simply another convenient scapegoat for the right to inflame middle class, traditionally democratic voters?
Thats a good observation, prior to that, one could have a lifetime of welfare but it was reduced to a maximum of five years... the problem isn't that welfare is shrinking which is great, its that those on welfare are cheating the system... I know of many business owners who have their siblings "stand in" as the "owners" while they collect welfare and its benefits... these people actually make a LOT of money but also receive government benefits... if that doesn't make you mad, I don't know what will... the government has already done a run-around with welfare by extending unemployment benefits which is basically welfare except it doesn't "count" as a year on welfare... that should make you mad to... people are mad because of its LACK of accountability... who checks on these people to make sure they are actually not working or paid cheaply with no assets... once the system is cleaned of these abuses, the public will have a different perspective...

Old 05-24-2010, 09:06 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
People need something to complain about, and it's an always popular snarl topic for the GOP. Largely because no one likes some one getting something for nothing, and they are never held accountable for not doing anything about it once they are elected. They just brush any argument as some sort of liberal smear campaign or cry their "reform" won't pass because of opposition playing partisan. Though they never present anything to oppose, and are happy enough to be partisan when it suits them.

Same crap, different day. Welcome to partisan America.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:

Because thats how the Tea Party crowd works: Slavish, unthinking devotion when the party you support is in power, and non stop criticism of those you dont support.

Facts dont matter to these people. In fact, thats the last thing they want to hear. Thats the consequence of living in fantasyland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies