Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
DADT was the best solution to a big problem

before DADT gays were not allowed in at all

now with DADT they are,, just dont advertise

repealing it will be a logistaical nightmare, ..look at the rules within the barraks for 'single' soldiers...you are not ALLOWED to have someone of the OPPOSITE sex in the same room without leaving the door open at least a foot........look at the laterines there are male and female laterines (to include the SHOWERS).....also the RULES about family members being in the same chain of command (unit)

dont ASK, dont TELL was the best solution to a difficult problem, repealing it will be a big mistake
Exactly. If they repeal DADT then gays will be denied entrance into the military, and the rest will be kicked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
Somehow when the right wing was sending out their talking points this morning they forgot that whole "Constitutional" part about CIVILIAN control of the military. These guys are NOT advisers of the President, they are CHIEFS of their respective services, who advise the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs (Admiral Mullen) and SecDec Robert Gates. BOTH of whom ARE on board with it.

As an AF veteran, and straight, I'm glad to see this belatedly coming to pass. During my 9 years of service I saw the AF transition from a time when the "N" word was often used with impunity to a (better IMO) time when I witnessed a Lt. Colenel drop it and was soon informed that his retirement papers would be on our Wing Commander's desk ASAP. Actually the guy was a good officer and good leader, but somehow he was having a hard time transitioning from his Mississippi upbringing.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
and there are people that don't want Blacks to vote and use the N word... doesn't make it right.

Guess the sanreneitized world doesn't have room for democrats, gays and anyone else that doesn't fit the ignorant right wing agenda. ... hmm a world with Sarah Palin, rednecks, and republican fundamentalists.... sounds like a recipe for poisoning the gene pool.

So how much do the Reps pay you for spewing your anti Obama foulness?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Oh, so here is the expert I have been waiting for.

My question is this: why not? What about their sexual orientation makes them unfit for military service?

Don't bother with your stupid college dorm example, as that applies to heterosexuals as well.

Enlighten me.
Unit commanders separate men and women's living and sleeping quarters, and their bathing areas. Why? Enlighten me.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Unit commanders separate men and women's living and sleeping quarters, and their bathing areas. Why? Enlighten me.
Good question. I don't see the use of it. It certainly doesn't stop them from having sex with each other, now does it?

So are you going to just dodge my question by asking your own, or are you actually going to address the question I asked?

The fact is, you have no answer.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Good question. I don't see the use of it. It certainly doesn't stop them from having sex with each other, now does it?

So are you going to just dodge my question by asking your own, or are you actually going to address the question I asked?

It was a time saver. By your response i can tell that there is nothing I can say that would affect your opinion on the matter.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:

Quote:
I don't see the use of it
so you so no use for rules....very anarchistic of you

it doesnt stop them???? and speed limits dont stop speeders either...should we get rid of those????

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If you're running a successful business you should welcome and accept feedback from your subordinates. They are the ones out in the field so their feedback is valuable. It's kind of like a successful business management 101 type of thing. Maybe Barry Soetoro misssed that one at one of the many fine universities that he purportedly attended.

America's biggest businesses are ran by a strict top down chain of command. The command structure is not interested in what rank and file employees think about their policies. AT&T does not ask my opinion before the command structure issues policies. They issue them and I carry them out. If they screw it up, they screw it up. It is not my business to tell them how I think they should run their business.
AT&T issued a policy years back that stated that gay employees shall not be discriminated against and that benefits will be offered to them on an equal basis. These were policies issued by the Executive in Dallas Texas. They did not ask the managers or rank and file employees whether we thought it was a good idea or not. They just issued policies and any manager or employee that does not wish to abide by the policy is free to seek employment elsewhere.
Having served in the United State Air Force, I can tell you that the military works the same way. Orders are issued and it was my job to follow them. The Air Force did not ask my opinion before they issued orders and they were not interested in my opinion after they issued orders. When you got orders to go to McChord AFB, you don't get to say "oh, I don't think McChord is a good place for me and I would rather be assigned to Homestead". It doesn't work like that.
The President issues orders. He is the TOP of the chain of command. Everybody else is below him. It does not matter a hoot if you like him or not. It does not matter if he is Democrat or Republican. I personally did not care much for Reagan but he was my commander (as was Carter) and when he gave orders, I followed them faithfully and to the best of my ability. That is the way the military works and if anybody tells you otherwise, they are lying to you (yes recruiters DO lie) If the Generals don't want to follow orders, they can leave or retire. The President is their commander.

Last edited by KevK; 05-27-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Very good points. Why have Advisors, when you are just going to ignore them? And, lets keep the emphasis on the real job of the military;i.e., defending our country; and not do anything that might compromise it. Again, the opinions/advice of the Top Military Advisors need to be respected.
Advisors are just that- they give "advice". The President as the supreme commander is free to follow the advice or to not follow it. Sometimes Presidents get into trouble following advice- as LBJ did with Vietnam. That is why we elect Presidents- to use their best judgment when it comes to military issues.
And gays are not going to "compromise" the mission of the armed services because they follow orders. They follow orders or people die. It is really that simple.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
America's biggest businesses are ran by a strict top down chain of command. The command structure is not interested in what rank and file employees think about their policies. AT&T does not ask my opinion before the command structure issues policies. They issue them and I carry them out. If they screw it up, they screw it up. It is not my business to tell them how I think they should run their business.
AT&T issued a policy years back that stated that gay employees shall not be discriminated against and that benefits will be offered to them on an equal basis. These were policies issued by the Executive in Dallas Texas. They did not ask the managers or rank and file employees whether we thought it was a good idea or not. They just issued policies and any manager of employee that does not wish to abide by the policy is free to seek employment elsewhere.
Having served in the United State Air Force, I can tell you that the military works the same way. Orders are issued and it was my job to follow them. The Air Force did not ask my opinion before they issued orders and they were not interested in my opinion after they issued orders. When you got orders to go to McChord AFB, you don't get to say "oh, I don't think McChord is a good place for me and I would rather be assigned to Homestead". It doesn't work like that.
The President issues orders. He is the TOP of the chain of command. Everybody else is below him. If the Generals don't want to follow orders, they can leave or retire.
AT&T is not the military, people do not die, and the security of the nation are not affected if AT&T changes a few internal rules.

The president is the CinC, but he does not micromanage the military. The president assigns the mission objectives, and the experts decide how to accomplish it. We saw how politicians can screw things up when they decide to take control over the the heads of the military commanders. We saw it in Vietnam, and Iraq.

You may be the person in charge of the electrician who is rewiring your home, but your best option is to tell the electrician what you want accomplished and he decides the proper way to do so. If you override his expert opinion on how to do it, you may burn the house down or electrocute yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies