Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
They have power with very FEW. Sure there are nuts that follow what Moore, Limbaugh, Beck, etc say but the majority do not. They are smart enough to think for themselves.
I certainly don't think it's a majority, but it's certainly more than just a few, or FOX wouldn't enjoy the highest ratings and the people who you named would be penniless street-corner ranters. And there are people on this very board, who push some of the people you named above. Plenty of them, some very loudly and persistently. That tells me something.

By the way, as an side, I dislike Moore myself, even though most would probably consider me a liberal, although I have never been (and never will be) a member of any political party. My state is one of those that let's us register without picking a team, thank God. I don't really care for Olbermann either -- way too smug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Look let's be honest here. Moore would be all over AZ if it would put money in his bank account. So would any of the others. Let me see one of them actually give up millions then their nonsense would actually mean something. It is easy to say you are going to boycott something when you had no intention of using it or going there in the first place.
Moore could easily do a film about Arpaio, it would be right up his alley and would be quite popular. However it would mean he would have to film in Arizona. So there is an opportunity cost at work.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:13 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Moore could easily do a film about Arpaio, it would be right up his alley and would be quite popular. However it would mean he would have to film in Arizona. So there is an opportunity cost at work.
I don't see people paying to watch a movie about Arpaio. Maybe no PBS but not in the theatres or even cable.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
I certainly don't think it's a majority, but it's certainly more than just a few, or FOX wouldn't enjoy the highest ratings and the people who you named would be penniless street-corner ranters. And there are people on this very board, who push some of the people you named above. Plenty of them, some very loudly and persistently. That tells me something.
You are not a dim bulb by any means so I know you know that Beck is nothing more then a train wreck and you know how people like to watch train wreaks. Seriously though most of Fox's programs I like and watch but Hannity and Beck annoy the hell outta me. When I have watched them I have found myself yelling at them thru the TV so I just don't watch anymore but the point I was trying to get to in my long drawn out diatribe is although I am counted in the rating I don't watch those shows.

Quote:
By the way, as an side, I dislike Moore myself, even though most would probably consider me a liberal, although I have never been (and never will be) a member of any political party. My state is one of those that let's us register without picking a team, thank God. I don't really care for Olbermann either -- way too smug.

The ones that follow Moore are the loony left version of the ones that follow Beck. The far extreme ones. For the most part most in this country are very middle of the road and know a moron when they hear it. Also one very important thing is that over 65% of American AGREE with the AZ law so these actors are really not doing themselves any service.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:10 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Oh you watch he will. He will do a lie fest on how AZ is treating illegals so badly. You mark my words he will.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Say it aint so Joe!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:13 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post

Now we KNOW it was the right thing to do.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:21 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times
Quote:
You are not a dim bulb by any means so I know you know that Beck is nothing more then a train wreck and you know how people like to watch train wreaks. Seriously though most of Fox's programs I like and watch but Hannity and Beck annoy the hell outta me. When I have watched them I have found myself yelling at them thru the TV so I just don't watch anymore but the point I was trying to get to in my long drawn out diatribe is although I am counted in the rating I don't watch those shows.

The ones that follow Moore are the loony left version of the ones that follow Beck. The far extreme ones. For the most part most in this country are very middle of the road and know a moron when they hear it. Also one very important thing is that over 65% of American AGREE with the AZ law so these actors are really not doing themselves any service.
I am not talking about the quality and integrity of these public figures, I am simply speaking to the fact that they do have influence.

These forums bear this fact out on a minute-to-minute basis. People are constantly propping up these people or trying to tear them down. The fact that people even talk about them at all is ample evidence that they have influence. Obviously, you're more like me, if only in that you're not very impressed by hand-waving polemics. Sadly though, I think the appetite for polemics is increasing at a rapid pace, and that's not limited to any particular ideology, not by any means, as you alluded to.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I had expressed concern over the law in past threads. However it pains me to see Satriani grouped with those other names, those others who I have little respect for.

Satriani is a incredible guitarist, one of my favs who usually isn't known for getting political as far as I know.
Law is fine, blown out of proportion and politicized to fit an agenda. Satriani is a great guitarist, I saw him play and met him at the Filmore in San Francisco many years ago. It is disappointing to see him step into the "Celebrity Politics" scene, I thought he had more sense than that. He should stick to his career (also stay away from singing) and leave the politics to the idiots and boobs.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy1427 View Post
hahahah.....look at the company all these pro illegal alien people have now!!! ahhahaha....kanye and michael moore. hilarious!!!
I know! Like we are going to A: care what they say or do and B:it's Kanye for goodness sakes! Shouldn't he be busy being rude to Taylor or something? This is hilarious!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies