Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

The whole lot of them should be fired:

"The federal Minerals Management Service gave permission to BP and dozens of other oil companies to drill in the Gulf of Mexico without first getting required permits from another agency that assesses threats to endangered species — and despite strong warnings from that agency about the impact the drilling was likely to have on the gulf.
...Those scientists said they were also regularly pressured by agency officials to change the findings of their internal studies if they predicted that an accident was likely to occur or if wildlife might be harmed."

U.S. Said to Allow Drilling Without Needed Permits - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Heck of job Brownie.........

Yes putting people in jail for an accident makes lots of sense.

You Know Bush should have thought of that and arrested Katrina.
There's a difference between an accident and negligence. From testimony yesterday, it appears that BP was in a hurry to shut down the well and disregarded safety procedures. That's negligence.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:38 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
What excuses? Do you really think BP woke up one morning and said, we have enough oil let dump millions of gallons into the ocean?
No, I think greed and bribery got in the way.
The Inspector General characterized this orgy of wheeling and dealing as “a culture of ethical failure", costing taxpayers millions in royalty fees and producing bad science to justify unregulated deep water drilling in the gulf.

I do think BP thought this:

That oil companies DIDN'T NEED to fit every Deep Water oil well with a $500,000 "acoustical regulator" an automatic shut-off switch.

MMS didn’t demand sufficient disaster response plans from BP as a condition to authorizing drilling, it now seems quite plausible that MMS looked the other way while BP officials falsified test results on blowout preventers much like the one sitting under a mile of Gulf water spewing oil.

Whistleblower: BP Falsified Tests on Its Blowout Preventers « The Global Realm

Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 AM

90 posts, read 87,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On what charges? Not defending BP, just asking a question. Is there evidence BP execs bribed government officials? Are they criminally negligent? Negligent homicide? I'm no lawyer or judge, but these are the potential charges I can think of but it would take some good evidence to convict them of any of these charges with their team of lawyers working overtime. The most possible one would be bribery if it happened and can be proven.
Perhaps sailor thinks that such thing as due process etc., are things of the past that have no place in the B.O. admin. In America we don't just put people in jail, or put boots on their necks - well at least not yet.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetair View Post
Perhaps sailor thinks that such thing as due process etc., are things of the past that have no place in the B.O. admin. In America we don't just put people in jail, or put boots on their necks - well at least not yet.
I all for due process. Something the right rarely wants to allow anybody, unless it's some corporate pigs like those from Big Oil..

How very telling..

Old 05-28-2010, 12:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetair View Post
Hmm, I'm not the one who said they should be put in jail. I asked on what charges? Reread my post and the post I was responding to.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,580 times
Actually the title of this thread is incorrect. The "Man in charge from day1" did not fire her; as he stated at the press conference yesterday he didn't even know that she had been fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies