Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What a good little German you would have been.

Who cares about Constitutional rights and all that crap.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Interestingly enough,this man was assaulted and tazed by law enforcement at a 'border checkpoint' deep inside the USA and was charged with several offenses...and found not guilty.

Odd don't you think since the reason he was attacked was refusing to let the BP search his vehicle....

Old 05-28-2010, 09:21 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
This guy is driving down a two lane road next to an international border we have a problem securing, by all means stop people and ask!! what is the big deal? I live in Southern California and have no problem with checkpoints. The only people that have a problem with this are A) paranoid conspiracy theorist B) Illegal Immigrants C) People in favor of Illegal Immigrants D) people that have not experienced Illegal Immigrations or drug problems in their neighborhoods.
I live in South Fla and experience illegals daily. I dont support illegals being here but I also more then that dont support me giving up anymore of my freedom and living in nazi Germany.

This is papers please. No other way to spin this.

Do you support them walking into your house and questioning you there also.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Who CARES if they are a fact of life,what is the law allowing Border Patrol to do so?
Provide the law so we can all see the authority the BP has to search a US citizens vehicle deep inside the USA?

Actually from the video you do NOT have to allow your vehicle to be searched.It appears people like you do it for some other reason,not because it is the law.

So...if a person breaks the law,under AZ law they can be asked for ID and proof of citizenship...but you seem to support allowing law enforcement to stop anyone for NO reason and search their vehicle and demand identification

I find it odd you do not seem to like the AZ law but support checkpoints deep inside the USA for no probable cause....
I don't understand why you're attacking me. I'm just trying to explain to you what happens at a border checkpoint. You can disbelieve me or think it's wrong, but the stops and searches are a fact and have been for years.

People like me???? WTH? I don't work for the Border Patrol or any kind of law enforcement. But if you look nervous to a BP agent and he wants to search your car, that is considered probable cause.

I'm not "supporting" checkpoints or searches without cause. I'm a liberal, remember? I'm opposed to the Arizona law. I'm just telling you that under the new law, it will be much easier for local law enforcement to ask everyone, even U.S. citizens, for their papers.

Here's another thing that will really get your knickers in a twist. Did you know that if you are stopped carrying a large sum of cash and cannot provide a reasonable explanation for it, that it can be forfeited because it is PRESUMED that you got it from illegal means? That happens often down here too. People driving south to the border get stopped carrying $100,000 in cash and end up forfeiting it to the government because they can't prove where they got it.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Our finest in the Border Patrol...

YouTube - BP Agent Gets Owned in Court (Pastor Anderson Trial Excerpt 1)

Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
^^^^^ So now you're anti-Border Patrol but pro-Arizona immigration law?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't understand why you're attacking me. I'm just trying to explain to you what happens at a border checkpoint. You can disbelieve me or think it's wrong, but the stops and searches are a fact and have been for years.
Attacking you?
I am questioning your replies,that is how a discussion or debate works.
My issue is with you being fine with identification checkpoints inside the USA with no probable cause and yet you dislike the AZ law that requires probable cause BEFORE being asked for idnetification.

Quote:
People like me???? WTH? I don't work for the Border Patrol or any kind of law enforcement. But if you look nervous to a BP agent and he wants to search your car, that is considered probable cause.
Being nervous??You consider that is probable cause to be searched and asked to prove your citizenship?

Quote:
I'm not "supporting" checkpoints or searches without cause. I'm a liberal, remember? I'm opposed to the Arizona law. I'm just telling you that under the new law, it will be much easier for local law enforcement to ask everyone, even U.S. citizens, for their papers.
SO you do not support the BP checkpoints in the video,is that correct?

Quote:
Here's another thing that will really get your knickers in a twist. Did you know that if you are stopped carrying a large sum of cash and cannot provide a reasonable explanation for it, that it can be forfeited because it is PRESUMED that you got it from illegal means? That happens often down here too. People driving south to the border get stopped carrying $100,000 in cash and end up forfeiting it to the government because they can't prove where they got it.
I am well aware of it,another travesty as the actual carrying of cash is in and of itself not a crime in any way.

DO you support asset forfeiture laws like you wrote of above?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
^^^^^ So now you're anti-Border Patrol but pro-Arizona immigration law?
No I found his answers to the attorneys questions amusing...

By the way,how did you watch the 10 minute long video in 3 minutes?????

Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
It is really awful when someone insists on exercising their constitutional rights.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Again provide the ACTUAL law that gives the BP authority to stop you inside the USA,not at the border but deep inside the USA.
"In the 1976 case U.S. v. Martinez-Fuerte, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that contra the Fourth Amendment, the government can set up roadblock checkpoints within 100 miles of the nation's borders in order to check for illegal immigrants and smuggling."

The 190-Million Person Exception to the Fourth Amendment - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies