Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 02:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
To a degree, I think you are collateral damage here.

By that I mean that the primary focus of the law, the policy if you will, is on male homosexuality. If that were not the case - if the only issue at hand was with female service members - most people wouldn't feel nearly as strongly about it.
Do you mean cuz female homosexuality is usually considered sexy? Like when Megan Fox made out with the chick in "Jennifers Body" and it was considered hot...

Or do you mean cuz people forget that the military is about 20% women, and women recruits coming in are making up an even bigger percentage.

In general, people are more comfortable with two women....

But the law treats both the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 02:12 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
If you bother to go back and read, there are a multitude of references before I ever posted in thread.
Like I said... If its stupid, why are you keeping it alive, maybe you already made your point a while back?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:14 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Being uncomfortable is one thing. Encouraging systematic discrimination, claiming that gay people will be unable to function or control themselves, claiming that they need separate barracks...that's bigotry.

---claiming that women will be unable to function or control themselves,claiming they need seperate barraks...that's bigotry.

Aye ?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrooster27 View Post
You really should read the whole thread before posting.
And miss replying to all of your ridiculous posts? Not on your life!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:16 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Seems gays want it both ways.

On one hand,they state their attraction to men is no different than an attraction between a man and woman.

Yet, when it comes to housing in the military, they talk out of the other sides of their mouth by favoring housing arrangements that are not allowed between men and women.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:16 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
All you're saying here is that you think gay men are somehow incapable of performing the job to which they've been assigned. And that is patently ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I'm thinking maybe you need to review the definitions of bigot and bigotry. Try Websters.com. But here, I'll help you out:

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1660

: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

Main Entry: big·ot·ry
Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gə-trē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural big·ot·ries
Date: circa 1674

1 : the state of mind of a bigot
2 : acts or beliefs characteristic of a bigot

When I see nonsense like that highlighted above....that even you don't believe, I think it's time for you to consider revising your status line.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:18 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You know, can I just say, that I am about to be forcefully moved my the military. I just made my husband quit his job, we are losing money on our house. We can't even sell it, have to rent it out at a loss, we are moving to a place far from here, I have to get to know new coworkers, learn a new city, I don't get to be near my family, I know we're going to have to move again in 4 years....

My husband doesn't like this. He wishes I wasn't in the military, cuz it really Fs up the things that he wants in life... like a stable home without having to move and change jobs...

And if a gay person wants to serve their country, and maybe I don't have to move as often, cuz we're better staffed.... and maybe I can miss a deployment cuz there are more people to take on the burden... then guess what... I'll shower with you, I'll room with you, and if you try to hit on me, I'll say, "I'm sorry. I am married. Please look elsewhere."

And if that person doesn't respect my boundaries, then I'll take it to the proper channels... just as I would if a man were to hit on me.

I have probably been hit on by 30 men, despite the ring on my finger. If I can handle myself in those situations, then I could do it with gay women too!
Now forgive me for being a little confused. You're a gay woman with a husband and he wishes...?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:18 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---claiming that women will be unable to function or control themselves,claiming they need seperate barraks...that's bigotry.

Aye ?

I support pure equality. If a woman can pass the same physical tests as a man can, I see no reason not to include them.

No one, as far as I can tell, is claiming that women won't be able to control themselves, and the separate barracks are a privacy issue.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Again, It's not about a political stance. It's about the fact that if I were a gay woman, I'd have to hide my relationship... and not just at work either. If I go to the ice cream store a town away, and I am holding hands with my girlfriend, who no one at work even knew existed, and my commander sees me... he is obligated by law to kick me out of the military. That ice cream shop has nothing to do with my military service, but any homosexual act= you are required to be kicked out. The current law requires this!

If I have a party at my house, and I have a picture on the wall of me and my girlfriend kissing, and I invite anyone from work to my party, I have to take the picture down and hide it in the closet.

It's not about bringing the "gayness" to work. It's not that they want to be able to paint their cubical in rainbows or get "I'm gay" tattoo'd on their forehead.

We have told them they are not allowed to be true to themselves, and that they have to hide it. We don't ask straight people to do that!

Straight people get to wear wedding rings, bring their partners to unit and military functions, put a picture of a family vacation on their desks... gays will be kicked out of the military if they do this!

A gay person risks their whole career just by listing their partner as an emergency contact!

Do y'all really, and honestly, think this is right?

I understand you don't want people flaunting it at work, but they can't even kiss each other in their own homes without closing the blinds- or they risk being seen and kicked out of the military.

It might not always be that dramatic, but it is the way the law is written.

REALLY- really you guys think this law is OK?

You think it is OK that congress says that they can't hold hands at the mall, or kiss at the movies, or put a picture on their desk, for fear of being "fired" over it? Do you really think that is what this country stands for?

Freedom is now about hiding who you are every moment of your day so that you don't make someone else uncomfortable?

This blows my mind. Really and truly.

You guys call yourselves Americans?
If I could I'd have repped you for every one of your posts in this thread!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Whoops... rep'd you when I meant to hit qoute

Guess what! ALL those people already are taking showers with gay people! They are just pretending that they are not. Kinda like when a kid pulls a blanket over their head and thinks no one else can see him/her. They already are showering with gays in basic.

And let's be real... I haven't taken a shower with another service member since basic training, and it's not like we're scrubbing each other down. Most people don't even want to shower with other heterosexuals.

I do agree... everything should be weighed, and it has been... the country wants gays in the military to be able to stop hiding who they are and secretly showering with people who pretend that if we don't know they're gay, it's like they aren't really gay.
I always got a kick out of the fact that the German Army barracks we used in Germany in 1956 had shower facilities for 8 people per floor. I didn't mind taking a shower with 7 other GIs but we worked shifts and most of the time while we were working the swing shift I took a shower about 9 am. I was really shocked the first time a maid came boldly in to get a bucket of mop water and made small talk with me. After that I decided that Germans sure didn't see many things as Victorian as my mother did so I just grinned and managed to not be bothered by that. Those old gals didn't seem to get excited when they saw a man bare, but I don't know what a "gay" man would think, especially if he was interested in me sexually. I probably would have gone to the stockade for attacking one of them if he even acted like he may be interested in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies