Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well here is where I stand with regard to this thread. If you aren't currently serving in the military, I don't want to read about your objections to repealing DADT. I see no point in arguing with bigots, homophobes or trolls, thank you very much.
ROFL

Who in the White House, senate or congress is serving, guess they need to shut the hell up, and leave it up to the military commanders to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:03 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Straight men rape straight men too. Rape isn't about sex, it's about power.

Look at the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Men are raped so that they will be humiliated and emasculated. It's not about sex at all.

Not that I'm saying it's impossible for a gay man to rape a straight man, but a man who rapes another man may very well identify as straight.

why the hell are we talking about rape so much tho. Some people need to get their heads out of the gutter. I like watching the SVU marathons on USA, but this is just too much rape talk for my liking!

Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
They secretly want to be anally violated, that's why.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:07 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
They secretly want to be anally violated, that's why.
I'm starting to think so!!!

Old 05-29-2010, 07:21 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Hmmm, now that's something to change. The military needs to be a democracy. Following the insane and immoral orders of lesser men wearing medals and who claim to be leaders needs to be avoided at all costs.
Are you serious?

The absolute determination of the military to be governed by the rule of law, including the civilian leadership, is one of the things that has enabled us to retain our republican form of government when so many other countries have lapsed into military dictatorship.

The idea that the military should be exempt from obeying the direction of the legislative and executive branches is one of the most dangerous ideas I have ever heard.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
This is exactly the same thing as when blacks were integrated. A lot of hatemongers and bigots screamed, and in the end, nothing happened.

Except that we moved a little closer to being equal.

What is so disturbing to me is that there are currently gay people fighting for an ideal that is being denied them. Every single one of us should be thanking them, not condemning them.
This is not about bigotry or racism. If you had a platoon of black men billeted together they would not engage in sexual acts with each other, and develop romantic relationships. You will have that if you allow gays to room with other gays.

We cannot allow gays in the same units to live and shower together for the same reason we do not allow men and women to do so. The only way to dismiss this, would be to adopt the mindset that gays do not engage in sexual relationships, do not have romantic relationships, do sometimes have a bad falling outs with their lovers, and they do have become jealous love triangles, and that they do not have the same rollercoaster relationships as heterosexuals.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:41 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Wapasha,

How are other countries managing? Are US Service members so incapable that they can't do the same things that 25 other militaries have been able to do?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:08 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I can tell you now that Airmen and most sailors do not have a problem with gays. Even when I was in the USAF decades ago, we all pretty much knew they were there and who they were. Nobody bothered them and they did not bother anybody else. The Army and Marines might have more of a problem integrating gays into the ranks but my suspicion is that, since gays as a group tend to be higher educated and more profession oriented, few of them would opt for the Army or Marines so I don't really see a problem here. Most gays are not beating down the doors of the local Marine recruiter to get in. If they join, it will be much more likely to be the Navy or Air Force.
And interestingly, the Airforce has far fewer reports of sexual assault in general.

According to the Dept of Defence Fiscal year 2009 Report on Sexual Assault in the Military,
there were 122 reports of sexual assault/misconduct in the Airforce in 2009 and only 1 report was male/male.

http://www.sapr.mil/media/pdf/report...ual_report.pdf

Old 05-29-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Wapasha,

How are other countries managing? Are US Service members so incapable that they can't do the same things that 25 other militaries have been able to do?
Compared to America's military, all others are second rate at best.

Do not use Israel for this argument because they are SURROUNDED on all sides and OUTNUMBERED 10-1, are fighting for their very existence, and cannot afford to exclude anybody. Besides, they recently got it's butt kicked by a non-rated hodgepodge, ragtag military.

The three strongest military forces in the world today are the United States, Russia, and China. None of them currently allow gays to join the military. The "other first world" countries that allow gays to serve, rely on the United States military for their ultimate protection. I believe Iraq had the 5th largest army in the world at the time, and we annihilated them in a matter of weeks.

I do not see how we enhance the war-fighting capabilities of the United States Marine Corps by allowing homosexuals to openly serve. DADT works, and we need to keep it in place.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:11 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So we need to ignore the reality of the problems to morale, discipline and unit cohesion, and change the US Code, just to allow gays to serve?
How is it that other countries like the UK, Canada, Australia etc have not had any problems to "morale, discipline and unit cohesion" with gay people serving openly for years now?

In fact, it's just the opposite.

So why do you think it would be different in the US Military?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies