Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,705,682 times

Advertisements

Our government already has way too much power. Big government will grow faster than ever with Obama in the lead. Of course, he thinks big powerful government is good for us.

Now census workers have the power to violate a protection we used to have against home invasion without a warrant.

"What many Americans don’t realize, is that census workers — from the head of the Bureau and the Secretary of Commerce (its parent agency) down to the lowliest and newest Census employee — are empowered under federal law to actually demand access to any apartment or any other type of home or room that is rented out, in order to count persons in the abode and for “the collection of statistics.” If the landlord of such apartment or other leased premises refuses to grant the government worker access to your living quarters, whether you are present or not, the landlord can be fined $500.00.

That’s right — not only can citizens be fined if they fail to answer the increasingly intrusive questions asked of them by the federal government under the guise of simply counting the number of people in the country; but a landlord must give them access to your apartment whether you’re there or not, in order to gather whatever “statistics” the law permits.
In fact, some census workers apparently are going even further and demanding — and receiving — private cell phone numbers from landlords in order to call tenants and obtain information from them. Isn’t it great to live in a “free” country?"

Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence | The Barr Code
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:39 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,154,066 times
What's the worst that can happen to you if the government knows how many people live in your apartment?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:42 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,111,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Our government already has way too much power. Big government will grow faster than ever with Obama in the lead. Of course, he thinks big powerful government is good for us.

Now census workers have the power to violate a protection we used to have against home invasion without a warrant.

"What many Americans don’t realize, is that census workers — from the head of the Bureau and the Secretary of Commerce (its parent agency) down to the lowliest and newest Census employee — are empowered under federal law to actually demand access to any apartment or any other type of home or room that is rented out, in order to count persons in the abode and for “the collection of statistics.” If the landlord of such apartment or other leased premises refuses to grant the government worker access to your living quarters, whether you are present or not, the landlord can be fined $500.00.

That’s right — not only can citizens be fined if they fail to answer the increasingly intrusive questions asked of them by the federal government under the guise of simply counting the number of people in the country; but a landlord must give them access to your apartment whether you’re there or not, in order to gather whatever “statistics” the law permits.
In fact, some census workers apparently are going even further and demanding — and receiving — private cell phone numbers from landlords in order to call tenants and obtain information from them. Isn’t it great to live in a “free” country?"

Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence | The Barr Code
Census workers can't enter your home without permission | HULIQ

Sorry.

Fun fantasy while it lasted though, I'll bet

Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 AM

Can I just ask, why would you blindly believe this without looking up the Census rules or otherwise looking for corroboration or contradiction?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,131,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
What's the worst that can happen to you if the government knows how many people live in your apartment?
Ive never had a problem with that. What I take issue with is the other questions they ask. The Census was never meant to ask about race, yet thats most of whats in the census.

I filled out one portion. The count of people in my home. They dont need to know anything else. They dont need my name, nor do they need to know my ethnicity.

In regards to the OP, I dont believe that for one second. There is no way a temp Census worker is going to get the power to just come into your home like that.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:51 AM

338 posts, read 310,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Please tell me this is not true (big govt)

This is not true.

There you go.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Ive never had a problem with that. What I take issue with is the other questions they ask. The Census was never meant to ask about race, yet thats most of whats in the census.

I filled out one portion. The count of people in my home. They dont need to know anything else. They dont need my name, nor do they need to know my ethnicity.
The Questions on the Form - 2010 Census (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php - broken link)

^ They've asked about race since 1790, so the Census was indeed "meant to ask about race," and with the Hispanic/Latino/Spanish-origin question that makes exactly two questions pertaining to race/ethnic background, out of ten total questions... not exactly "most of what's in the census."

Since you didnt fill out your form they'll probably have to send someone around to ask you. Way to save those tax dollars, which might not come to your district if you dont fill out the form.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:07 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,732,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Would you feel the same if the police had the same power? The census is a function enumerated in the constitution. But this is way over the line.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:13 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,732,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Census workers can't enter your home without permission | HULIQ

Sorry.

Fun fantasy while it lasted though, I'll bet
It is hard to say which is true, neither provides any supporting documentation.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is hard to say which is true, neither provides any supporting documentation.
The Whole Story - 2010 Census (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/about/whole.php - broken link)

Or, you could use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies