Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there anybody here who really doesn't like the military as the Clintons have seemed to be? I am surely with the majority according to this poll. Pretty big majority, too.

74% Have Favorable Opinion of U.S. Military - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢

Having myself served, I have no problem with the military, but with the government that misuses and abuses it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 04:25 PM

571 posts, read 942,017 times
I support, respect, and honor those who have bravely served our country.

However, I 115% disagree with the idea of a draft and believe that war should only be fought in self-defense, as in if we are directly bombed. However, neither of those events would ever decrease my opinion of those in our armed forces. It's such a noble and heroic thing to do.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,488 times
I am not gung ho military...when they are being used as pawns for the giant corporate whores, and their ambitions..to cover the globe with corporate slime

Old 05-29-2010, 04:36 PM

18,349 posts, read 18,963,331 times
our military is awesome.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
For the most part, I like it.

However, there are a few things I don't like about it. It's often used as a political prop. Are you aware that some gang members are also in the military? Now, that's a scary thought. Isn't the military supposed to keep the riff-raff out?
I've known a few "riff-raff" who served in the military, and sometimes it was a choice of that or prison, but they came back as pretty decent human beings. They went on to "make something of themselves" so I don't think it's all that bad an idea.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
[quote=roysoldboy;14392843]Is there anybody here who really doesn't like the military as the Clintons have seemed to be? I am surely with the majority according to this poll. Pretty big majority, too.

74% Have Favorable Opinion of U.S. Military - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢[/quote

I'm pretty proud of our military. I've had ancestors/family in every war this country has fought since the Revolution and I have to think the military is partly what's made our country as strong and respected as it is.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:50 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there anybody here who really doesn't like the military as the Clintons have seemed to be? I am surely with the majority according to this poll. Pretty big majority, too.

74% Have Favorable Opinion of U.S. Military - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢
As having two parents who both served 20+ years in the military among other family members, I love the military. It helped to turn a lot of people in my family who would have been nothings in rural NC and TX into a little bit of something.

With that said our last two commander-in-chiefs are idiots.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,159,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
I like our military, but I don't necessarily like the Washington critters that are in charge of them.
Yep, they are the downside. The creeps who create problems and send the soldiers into harm's way.
I spent 3 years in the army. Great experience, made many new friends, and did things to provide for terrific memories decades later.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 PM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
The US military is okay.

I enlisted in 1976 and retired in 2001.

I served before urinalysis, and after it. Through a bunch of presidential administrations, peace-time and in combat.

The huge pay-raises every year with Reagan were really nice.

I have seen uniforms despised, and servicemembers openly hated. I was even arrested once in Newport News Va, spent a night in jail and had to pay a $100 fine, basically just for being a sailor.

I also saw the complete turn-around during Desert Storm One, of US corporations acting like they loved the military, and people everywhere saying that they 'support' the military.

The US military in the 70's, 80's, 90s and into 2000's was an interesting 'ride'.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,077,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The US military is okay.

I enlisted in 1976 and retired in 2001.

I served before urinalysis, and after it. Through a bunch of presidential administrations, peace-time and in combat.

The huge pay-raises every year with Reagan were really nice.

I have seen uniforms despised, and servicemembers openly hated. I was even arrested once in Newport News Va, spent a night in jail and had to pay a $100 fine, basically just for being a sailor.

I also saw the complete turn-around during Desert Storm One, of US corporations acting like they loved the military, and people everywhere saying that they 'support' the military.

The US military in the 70's, 80's, 90s and into 2000's was an interesting 'ride'.
Thank you for your service to our Great Country and Republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies