Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

by...BP? Now, pardon me, but who the hell put BP in charge of our coastal areas and waters? Who gave them the authority or more likely, who is "allowing" them to dictate the conditions by which media is allowed into these areas?

One guess?

If the public can't see the damage and destruction, then I guess they won't place blame were it belongs...right?

Gulf Oil Spill: Media Access 'Slowly Being Strangled Off'

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS — Media organizations say they are being allowed only limited access to areas impacted by the Gulf oil spill through restrictions on plane and boat traffic that are making it difficult to document the worst spill in U.S. history.

A CBS news story said one of its reporting teams was threatened with arrest by the Coast Guard and turned back from an oiled beach at the mouth of the Mississippi River. The story said the reporters were told the denial was under "BP's rules."
The FAA, CG and BP are working together - They are restricting flights with reporters and photographers aboard - normally, there are no such restrictions.

Why would there be now?

"Access has been hampered by a cumbersome approval process that stretched all the back to the White House.

Well, we can understand their reticence to allow reporters and photogs to see, print and air the devastation, can't we?

You need the WH to sign off before touring the spill zone.

Is this not the most incredible thing you've ever heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
The chief of the Coast Guard's public affairs programs branch said access had been hampered by a cumbersome approval process that stretched all the way to the White House.

Chief Warrant Officer Adam Wine said White House officials had to sign off on requests for tours of the spill zone before they could proceed. The Coast Guard is attempting to increase access through guided boat and aircraft tours, he said. Still, there is no plan to lift restrictions on flights or boat traffic into offshore areas – including some barrier islands.

White House officials referred questions about their involvement to Wyman. He said Wine's description of the chain of command was incorrect and that all requests from media were decided on by the command center in Robert, La. The Department of Homeland Security is notified, he said.

-- OP ( Huffington Post!)

Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
I am not sure I could be surprised by anything this administration does anymore.

The only thing I wonder about is...what next.

Has HuffPo figured it out too?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I am not sure I could be surprised by anything this administration does anymore.

The only thing I wonder about is...what next.

Has HuffPo figured it out too?
They just report....

"[The WH spokesperson] said Wine's description of the chain of command was incorrect and that all requests from media were decided on by the command center in Robert, La."

Old 05-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
They just report....

"[The WH spokesperson] said Wine's description of the chain of command was incorrect and that all requests from media were decided on by the command center in Robert, La."
You mean there is another conflict with this administration....what next?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You mean there is another conflict with this administration....what next?

Whatever the issue is, do you really think the folks in charge want people to "tour the spill zone"?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Whatever the issue is, do you really think the folks in charge want people to "tour the spill zone"?
I am wondering how they can rightfully stop them? I think "the folks in charge" do not want everyone to see how bad this spill really is and report it to the rest of the world.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I am wondering how they can rightfully stop them? I think "the folks in charge" do not want everyone to see how bad this spill really is and report it to the rest of the world.
Do you think... it's... being... kept.... a secret?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:14 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:

Tourists no. The media, why not?

National secrets?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Do you think... it's... being... kept.... a secret?
I think pictures are worth thousands of words.

When Ali knocked out Foreman(who no one thought he could beat), most everyone knew about it (it was no secret) but it had far more impact by actually seeing it happen because of the "rope a dope" and then the actual knock out blow.

The visual is by far more powerful..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies