Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 PM

470 posts, read 1,155,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Gary Pfleider II served his country for six years before he became a member of the new generation of disabled veterans.

Pfleider, a former Oregon National Guard soldier, was shot by a sniper while on patrol in Iraq in September 2007.

Soldier shot in Iraq billed for missing military gear | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional
Yep.
Anybody that's prior service would not be surprised that this happened.
If he isn't also given some form of written discipline,he'll be lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,707 times
I just wonder when they will get enough of what their gov and military is doing to them and start protesting the .

Sad part is more are joining to get a pay check thanks to those in office for past 55 years !.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Sad part is more are joining to get a pay check thanks to those in office for past 55 years !.
The benefits are quite substantial especially for some of the specialized services. My buddy got his schooling paid for and more importantly received training for that schooling he couldn't get anywhere else. A lot of these people moving in high tech fileds started out in the military. Some of the most successful people I know have military backgrounds.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The benefits are quite substantial especially for some of the specialized services. My buddy got his schooling paid for and more importantly received training for that schooling he couldn't get anywhere else. A lot of these people moving in high tech fileds started out in the military. Some of the most successful people I know have military backgrounds.

Good deal, so tough luck for your peers long as you can get that check and promotion, let the fighting soldiers and nation be damned ?

Instead of joining they should be protesting . No excuse now for anyone to be ignorant or un-informed about whats happening to our troops .

Security over liberty ! They will lose both !

Old 05-30-2010, 11:28 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Good deal, so tough luck for your peers long as you can get that check and promotion, let the fighting soldiers and nation be damned ?

Instead of joining they should be protesting . No excuse now for anyone to be ignorant or un-informed about whats happening to our troops .

Security over liberty ! They will lose both !
I never understood how so many Vietnam Veterans, having been screwed by their government, would line up to fight another war under the same government, this time in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Unfunded care for returning soldiers, pressure on doctors to limit certain diagnosis (such as PSTD), lies on the part of our military leadership ranging from the capture of Jessica Lynch to the death of Pat Tillman to the destruction of classified records recording destruction of Iraqi WMD during the first Gulf war--the Gulf of Tonkin was a contrived PR incident to open up violence against Vietnam the same as our government's demonization of Saddam when only a decade before he had been our best friend--when you have this kind of basis for a war, like karma, you will never outrun it.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
this is the problem with calling up no-go's (national guard)

poorly trained national guard troops should be used for state activitys only,,,this all stems to whem cohen (under clinton) re-organized the guard and the reserves and put all the combat arms in the guard

Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Will someone explain to me how a soldier who is wounded in the field is supposed to have the composure to start making a checklist of his gear while writhing in pain or incapacitated?
I guess this is a serious question, which is valid.

Normally, the supply sergeant or first sergeant will declare the items lost in combat etc, it will be approved by the commander, and all is taken care of. Normally soldiers try to take care of each other. Why did this make national(?) news? Perhaps because it is such a rare occurance, perhaps the soldier in question wanted the publicity, perhaps he did get tangled up in the bureaucracy. I am sure others will have different experiences and/or tales.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-02-2010 at 12:50 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
I never understood how so many Vietnam Veterans, having been screwed by their government, would line up to fight another war under the same government, this time in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Unfunded care for returning soldiers, pressure on doctors to limit certain diagnosis (such as PSTD), lies on the part of our military leadership ranging from the capture of Jessica Lynch to the death of Pat Tillman to the destruction of classified records recording destruction of Iraqi WMD during the first Gulf war--the Gulf of Tonkin was a contrived PR incident to open up violence against Vietnam the same as our government's demonization of Saddam when only a decade before he had been our best friend--when you have this kind of basis for a war, like karma, you will never outrun it.

I believe in a strng military but we need to be very careful before we let our leaders put us into war .

The buck stops with us just like it did with the germans .

We are turning the whole over to islam and it has to be on purpose .

Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Gary Pfleider II served his country for six years before he became a member of the new generation of disabled veterans.

Pfleider, a former Oregon National Guard soldier, was shot by a sniper while on patrol in Iraq in September 2007.

Soldier shot in Iraq billed for missing military gear | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional
Like others of said, that is the way it is. Right or wrong is determined by what the book says, not by common sense. Strict Liability is the legal term.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That is what happens when you deal with a bloated government, they follow the regs, and the people tasked with inventory and charging for lost items are not allowed to decide on their own and make exceptions. The guy prob went straight to the hospital, and someone else inventoried his equipment for him. Which is why I do not like having to work with the government, you usually give up trying to fight the system, by the time you could find someone who can make special arrangements or exception its years later. I knew people trying to settle a pay or records problems and it can take over three years.
You nailed it. On my way out of Iraq into Doha, Qatar, I threw the QM a doozy when I told them part of my gear had been issued to me in Kuwait, but I needed to return it there in Doha. That, of course, was not acceptable. "How can we get it back to Kuwait?" was the question. My question was "Why does it have to go back to Kuwait? Don't you reissue supplies to the next round of guys?"

Of course this was much more complicated than it had to be.

I'm not surprised that the guy in the OP was billed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies