Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:30 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,482 times

Advertisements

I am getting more and more fed up with Isreal! They are constantly playing hard ball and are not very good allies to us nor do they do anything that would indicate they want peace-----what is wrong with these people???

Why do we protect them?

This is the latest fromthe BBC

BBC News - Israel rejects Middle East nuclear talks plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 04:39 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I am getting more and more fed up with Isreal! They are constantly playing hard ball and are not very good allies to us nor do they do anything that would indicate they want peace-----what is wrong with these people???

Why do we protect them?

The problem is that they believe certain things that don't necessarily match our beliefs 100%. Yet we try to persuade them. They can be our allies without bowing down. Israel is a strong nation that has been good for us. I'm sorry if you believe they should be pushovers. When it comes to peace, most countries want it but they can't compromise their safety. If we were surrounded on all sides by a ton of countries that want to kill us, we'd be leery to get rid of our nukes too. Imagine if Canada, Mexico, and most of the South American countries threatened us, what then? Would we be so quick to get rid of our defense?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
The US was among the nations who agreed the document, but President Barack Obama warned that he did not agree with Israel's treatment.

"We strongly oppose efforts to single out Israel, and will oppose actions that jeopardise Israel's national security," he said.

Israel's Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon promised that his country's co-operation with the US would remain unchanged, but he condemned the document as "insignificant".

"Iran has signed [the treaty], Iraq has signed it... Syria has signed it, and we see that it hasn't stopped them from seriously breaking the treaty and from trying to bypass it," he said.

Well, the conservatives can't say President Obama isn't backing Israel anymore.

I don't blame Israel here, as it says, Iran signed the treaty, but they continue to seek Nuclear weapons. A nation that has said on multiple occasions that they want to wipe Israel from the map.

I think Israel should make peace agreements to other countries who are acting on the NPT, and if the United Nations said that they would take action against Iran, if they continue with their nuclear ambitions, I'd say Israel needs to sign it.

As it stands now, it'd be like Brittan destroying its military, knowing that the Nazis were building an army, which was against their peace treaty they signed after the first WW.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:47 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,160 times
I don't blame israel . It would be suicide for them to give up their protection . If iran attacks i hope they turn iran into a glass pit !

Old 05-30-2010, 07:22 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:

Why do we protect them?

Agreed. No country should EVER be allowed to develop nukes. We criticize North Korea, Iran, and Iraq, but Israel gets away with it? If I were Iran, I'd be terrified of Israel.

I don't think Iran should be armed, but I do think Israel should be DIS-armed and inspected by UN weapons inspectors. Israel is not a Non-proliferation treaty state and thus it should not be allowed to have nukes.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
This is an unprecedented attack from the US on Israel.

Where is the statement on IRAN, no mention of them and their coming nukes?

Right, Israel is expected to give up their nukes while Iran is building the bomb to annihilate Israel.

I can't remember a time when the US signed on to a statement that really singles Israel out like this. Traditionally, the Us has blocked such anti-Israel action.

It is unprecedented, dangerous and it is clear where obama's loyalties lie.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100529/wl_canada_afp/unnuclearnptisraelreject_20100529191057 (broken link)

Quote:
"It singles out Israel, the Middle East's only true democracy and the only country threatened with annihilation," the statement added.
For some reason, this one-side, biased statement failed to mention these countries;

Quote:
But it failed to make similar reference to other nations including India and Pakistan that, like Israel, are non-members of the treaty and are either known or believed to possess nuclear weapons.

The text also made no mention of Iran, which faces a new round of United Nations sanctions over its refusal to halt uranium enrichment as part of a nuclear program that many in the international community fear masks a nuclear weapons drive.
http://news.antiwar.com/2010/05/28/u...-free-mideast/

A madman at the helm along with his dangerous, disastrous foreign policy.

Quote:
The Obama Administration’s somewhat bipolar position on nuclear disarmament was in full view today, as the administration publicly signed an NPT declaration calling for a nuclear-free Middle East, then publicly condemned the same deal.

But almost immediately after agreeing to the pact, US Undersecretary of State Ellen Tauscher expressed “deep regrets” over the deal, saying it “singled out Israel.”
The words just don't jive with the actions.

Truly incredible.

Quote:
Well, the conservatives can't say President Obama isn't backing Israel anymore.
Come again? HE SIGNED THE PACT.

Last edited by sanrene; 05-30-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 07:58 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is an unprecedented attack from the US on Israel.

Where is the statement on IRAN, no mention of them and their coming nukes?

Right, Israel is expected to give up their nukes while Iran is building the bomb to annihilate Israel.

I can't remember a time when the US signed on to a statement that really singles Israel out like this.

It is unprecedented, dangerous and it is clear where obama's loyalties lie.
They're not being singled out though.

The fact is, neither Israel NOR Iran should have nukes.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Wow......... Herr Goebbels would be proud of some of you!!!!! There is only one reason anyone would want the Jews not to have nukes. ........

Old 05-30-2010, 08:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
They're not being singled out though.

The fact is, neither Israel NOR Iran should have nukes.
Agreed. Israel acts like a spoiled child when it comes to any criticism.
They fully expect the USA to be their permanent sugar daddy and to be loyal to them without question.
Israel has a valid point when it comes to their neighbors. This can't be denied.
However as I and others have said in the past, many of our problems in the ME are centered around our very biased approach in regards to Israel.
We simply have traded all credibility in favor of protecting Israel both in the UN and at home. Its a very lopsided approach.
Imagine if Syria attacked Lebanon as Israel did. Would we have supported Syria? No doubt about it we would have been all over them for it.
Look no further than our response to Russia attacking Georgia. Almost an identical scenario and yet the opposite response.
We would be better served if we took a neutral approach as China does.
Quite honestly it really is none of our business how Israel and her neighbors play in their sandbox.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:

Why do we protect them?

What's wrong with these people? Well Israel's ruling government and it's supporters are a bunch of immature babies. Why should they abide by International standards?

As this essay from Tony Judt published in Haaretz spells out.

Israel The Country That Wouldn't Grow Up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies