Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Do you rent out your mind reading device? Or is it glued to your cerebral cortex?

I don't need a mind reading device to read posts. Lame turn-around gotcha is lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:44 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
It's pretty obvious to me he was making a joke about a racial stereotype, I don't see that as racist at all - far from it. I thought it was funny.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:12 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
RealClearPolitics - Video - Maher: Obama Not Acting Like A "Real Black" President

Why is he not a racist? Heck why isnt Matthews a racist

They are! They are 'puppy dog' racist. But I'm just a white person who use to be a bartender, listening to white people discuss their feeling with just enough booze in them to tell me what they really think; what do I know about white racists.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Rush has never presented himself as a comedian. Quite the contrary, he wants his followers - and they ARE his followers - to take him very seriously.
Wrong, Rush has always called himself an entertainer. We who appreciate him are called fans not followers...

Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Most people have been so dumbed down that they don't know what humor is anymore. Fortunately, there still are people who know and appreciate wit and real humor. They're not in Maher's audiences, that's for sure.

Trouble with people like Maher, who try so hard to be comedic, is that they don't know what humor is either, and they are scraping the bottom of the garbage barrel to come up with something they HOPE will work. They depend on their dumbed down audiences to tell them whether they're "funny".
Poor Maher.

Too many people in this country have become stoic PC-Extremist Puppets. They want to paralyze society with their thought control, word control and speech control.

The world was a better place when people could laugh at themselves (ourselves) and at others, in a playful manner.

Now, too many are so delicate, soft and thin-skinned. It's digusting.

Maher is very funny. Not every show is a great one, that's for sure. But he often has some killer funny material on his shows. And a lot of it is very clever and intelligent. New Rules is often hilarious and very clever.

He also has low-brow humor on his show. I think he mixes it up very well and overall......it's a great show.

I don't agree with all of his politics and points. I do with a lot of it, but certainly far from all. Ultimately, whether I agree with it or not; he makes a lot of very good points and a lot of it is intelligent thinking.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Cornel West was a guest on the show soon after that joke was made. West is not known for keeping opinions to himself, and he did not comment. West apparently understood that Maher meant President Obama should be more aggressive. Michael Eric Dyson another prolific black commenter was a guest the week before. I don't think these men would appear on Real Time if they thought Maher was a racist. Racism should be fought where it actually exists instead of focusing on a joke. Maher is an equal opportunity offender. He called the Mormons "bat ----" crazy on the same show.
Quote:
Rush has never presented himself as a comedian. Quite the contrary, he wants his followers - and they ARE his followers - to take him very seriously. Maher is a comedian and does not expect to be taken seriously, even though some of his jokes do provoke serious thought.
[***]
Please. It was a joke. Any intelligent person - black or white - could easily discern that.

I'm sure Maher finds you and your ilk equally repulsive, albeit necessary fodder for his comedic bits.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Wrong, Rush has always called himself an entertainer. We who appreciate him are called fans not followers...
That's the problem with Rush. Many of his listeners get it.

Too many of his listeners, do not get it.

Then they go out into the world babbling verbatim about Rush's words and everyone around them starts looking at them like they're retarded.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The truth hurts. But the fact remains that Obama became the blacks candidate after the Rev. Wright tapes came out.

I don't make it up, I just say it like I see it.

YOU look it up. Look at polls among AA's before the Rev Wright tapes and after.

BTW...Obama's election was more like American Idol.
Tapes of all of Rev. Wright's sermons were openly for sale on his church's website, and had been for years. Not sure what you mean by "when the Rev. Wright tapes came out." Were you under the impression that the sermons were secretly recorded, and smuggled out of the church?

This might help you understand the controversial sound bites in those sermons -- and maybe why the polls went up, too:

Wright's sermons fueled by complex mix of culture, religion - chicagotribune.com

Hope it helps!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Rush has never presented himself as a comedian. Quite the contrary, he wants his followers - and they ARE his followers - to take him very seriously. Maher is a comedian and does not expect to be taken seriously, even though some of his jokes do provoke serious thought.
I disagree. Maher does both.

That's why he has the triangle table for guests to come on and discuss politics and social issues.

He has his serious parts and he has his comedic parts. He does both on his show. Always has.

It doesn't take a genius to understand and comprehend when he's being serious and when he's being comedic. And often, he tries to add a little levity, irony, sarcasm or absurdity to the serious discussions. That's what he does.

But he does expect to be taken seriously on the issues which he presents and discusses in a serious manner. And his guests get it. Can't say the audience always gets it.

He's an intelligent guy who along with being friends with other comdedians, is also close friends and frequent acquaintance with a lot of intellectuals.

Anyone with a half a brain who watched this particular show, understood what he was talking about, when he went into that schtick about Obama.

They understood his point and what he was trying to say and the joke he was delivering.

Anyone who thinks that was racist, is either purposely grasping at straws; or simply is not very bright.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,726 times
I got what Bill was saying and I'm black,And it was funny as hell. It's all about context. Limbaugh would have drove it so far down into the ground it would not have been funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies