Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:00 AM

46 posts, read 232,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
This does not apply to those american muslims such as the NOI. The prison system has thousands of NOI inmates, thieves, drug dealers, bank robbers, etc.

Muslims from other countries, here in the US, usually don't need to steal or rob, most are business owners or are gainfully employed.
I will have to agree with the above comment.. I'm a muslim immigrant. Theft is as common in my home country as the next one. Now, from the OP's post, I am assuming that he's basing his observation on middle eastern individuals and excluding NOI. Generally, muslim immigrants in the U.S are a close net community, and will not find a need to be involved in petty theft. In muslim states, however, petty theft is just as common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:09 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I would say, that this is fine when it comes to a stereotypical follower of islam, but on the same hand, the typical head wear worn by many muslim women, is very simular to the head wear worn by women of other religions also. They could be easily confused with each other.

Many muslims only know Farsi and Arabic for their prayers only, outside of that they typically speak their native tongues.

All I am saying is that, it is very possible that these people believe they are seeing muslims, when in some cases they may not, and some people that are being thought as not being muslim, may actually be.

Also unless, they specifically ask a person that they have taken into custody, what the persons religious faith is, they are only going off of assumption.

Good point They(Loss Prevention and Asset Protection people) all simply said they have NEVER had one in their offices on theft charges. As to whether or not they actually had one and didn't know it is still up in the air. They all just seemed to have to the same attitude towards Muslims as a whole on not worrying about them when it came to theft(at least the ones they thought were Muslims)

Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nsian View Post
I will have to agree with the above comment.. I'm a muslim immigrant. Theft is as common in my home country as the next one. Now, from the OP's post, I am assuming that he's basing his observation on middle eastern individuals and excluding NOI. Generally, muslim immigrants in the U.S are a close net community, and will not find a need to be involved in petty theft. In muslim states, however, petty theft is just as common.

Interesting! Thank you for sharing......

Old 05-31-2010, 09:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I don't find this to be a good thing when you consider some of the other things the Islamic religion teaches. At most this will show how devout Islamic followers are, if theft was looked upon as good thing they would be stealing left and right regardless of what our laws were.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:12 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I do find it interesting though on this particular subject, that no one could tell me that they had caught a Muslim stealing in the free world(prison excluded). I was told that if they see one in their stores(retail), they do not even pay attention to them as a possible suspect to theft, as they already know they will not steal.
Wow. I wonder how your corporate LP offices feel about this fact. Do not
even pay attention to certain profiles because "they will not steal".

Quote:
I know this is a great big generalization of a certain people, but as far as theft goes, this is what others in my field have found to be true about Muslims and theft as a whole.
Quote:
Good point They(Loss Prevention and Asset Protection people) all simply said they have NEVER had one in their offices on theft charges. As to whether or not they actually had one and didn't know it is still up in the air. They all just seemed to have to the same attitude towards Muslims as a whole on not worrying about them when it came to theft(at least the ones they thought were Muslims)

No offense intended but your friends sound like they need retraining.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Theft of that sort is probably one of the things America has to worry about least at the moment...

Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Wow. I wonder how your corporate LP offices feel about this fact. Do not
even pay attention to certain profiles because "they will not steal".

I am not in retail and did in fact question them as thieves come in all shpae and sizes to say the least. They know this, but just feel overall they have never encountered a problem up to this point with them.

No offense intended but your friends sound like they need retraining.

None taken. As I said earlier, I am not in retail, just thought I would share some of their thoughts on this subject. Alot of these people are ex-military and or ex police officers who are in position as Directors, Managers, and the such.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
[SIZE=4]An estimated 350,000 Muslims are housed in Federal, state or local prisons around the country.[/SIZE]
MRI
Give me a break , it's a holiday .

Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 AM

615 posts, read 545,211 times
If a Muslim is caught stealing something over a certain price the Shariah punishment is to have a hand chopped off. If the item is stolen because the person has to feed his family or another dire reason the punishment is not as harsh. It's also difficult to determine if a person is a Muslim by their physical appearance only.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:13 AM

438 posts, read 503,327 times
Quote:
As someone who has been involved in the security/law enforcement field for almost 20 years; I often ask fellow colleagues who are in the retail loss prevention field, their thoughts on crimes and criminals. By and large all(some work for Wal-Mart, Target, Ross, Macy's, and Dillards) said that they have NEVER had a robbery, much less a theft committed by a Muslim. I found this very interesting. So I asked a friend who is a Muslim and asked his opinion on this. He stated that theft is looked at by Islam as one of the worst things you can do in your life. Taking another man's belongings is looked upon almost as blasphemy. Now before this thread becomes a "but they bomb and kill and so on", I am just talking about crime in America(specifically RETAIL CRIME). I just found it very interesting to find out these results and thought I would share. I am asking now, please no hard case comments about any other types of crimes or what is going on overseas. I would like to hear from others who may be in the same field or by Muslims themselves and get their take. Please stick to the thread! Thank you!
One can steal more money with a briefcase than with a gun.

There are subtle ways to steal; just look at Wall Street, international mining and fossil fuel extraction companies, military industrial complex, handouts to corporate America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies