Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you guys, but I think its not the job of the federal government to tax you and I to bailout the unions and their bloated pension plans.

Unions are nothing more then a private collective bargaining partnership between employees and their employers. If they bargain for higher wages and gold plated pension funds and generous healthcare and benefits packages, more power to them. But when their agreed to compensation falls short, why am I supposed to dig into my pocket to provide them my personal wealth?

While we are focused on Israel, Iran, the oil spill, DADT and immigration reform, our congress wants to spend billions of dollars to bailout union pensions:

Read The Bill: S. 3157 - GovTrack.us

You can try to read the bill, but its in legalese, so lets see the union friendly version: Senate Pension Hearing Scheduled Today | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) (http://teamsters.org/content/senate-pension-hearing-scheduled-today-counter-misinformation - broken link)

Keep in mind that the California state employees pension fund (CalPERS), is right around $500 billion in the red, for unfunded liabilities.

One article I read said the state pension for the US are in the red for almost $900 billion, and that is not even their total for unfunded liabilities.

Quote:
California’s pension and budget defaults are not isolated phenomena. All across the US state pension funds have been collapsing due to the broader economic crisis. According to the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, state governments have run up pension fund losses totaling $865.1 billion. Assets for 109 pension funds dropped 37 percent to $1.46 trillion in the 14-month period ending December 16. By comparison, the S&P 500 fell 41 percent in the same period.
California pension funds close to bankruptcy

I know we are in tough economic times, but its our fault, and we need to take in the wallet ourselves, and not force our children and grandchildren to pay for our ignorance and overindulgence. I mean, come on, people thought it was okay to bargain for a retirement benefits package where they were retiring in their 40s, and for the last half of their life, collect 75%-90% of their last paycheck, plus benefits??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,160 times
Yes we are, we are bailing out an organization (UNIONS) that acts like the very tyrant the unions were made to fight. "Unions SUCK!"

Old 06-01-2010, 08:07 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Fairs fair. We already bailed out the bosses.

Only people who get nothing are you and me. But we do get to pay for it all.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
It's not really a bail-out. In terms of the bank "bail outs" (wrong as they were), there at least was a plan for the money to be paid back. As far as I know there is no such plan with the unions. This is a buy-off, rather than a bail out. More Chicago-style politics in action.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Its not just SEIU, AFLCIO and IBT, but its also professional baseball and football unions and I'm sure it covers the folks in the Screen Actors Guild too.

It looks as if Casey’s bill would transfer failing union pension plans to the tax-funded Pension Benefits Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), which is itself running a $35 billion deficit.

WASHINGTON—The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation posted a $33.5 billion deficit for the first half of fiscal year 2009
PBGC Deficit Climbs to $33.5 Billion at Mid-Year, Snowbarger to Tell Senate Panel

This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I think its not the job of the federal government to tax you and I to bailout the unions and their bloated pension plans.

Unions are nothing more then a private collective bargaining partnership between employees and their employers. If they bargain for higher wages and gold plated pension funds and generous healthcare and benefits packages, more power to them. But when their agreed to compensation falls short, why am I supposed to dig into my pocket to provide them my personal wealth?

While we are focused on Israel, Iran, the oil spill, DADT and immigration reform, our congress wants to spend billions of dollars to bailout union pensions:

Read The Bill: S. 3157 - GovTrack.us

You can try to read the bill, but its in legalese, so lets see the union friendly version: Senate Pension Hearing Scheduled Today | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) (http://teamsters.org/content/senate-pension-hearing-scheduled-today-counter-misinformation - broken link)

Keep in mind that the California state employees pension fund (CalPERS), is right around $500 billion in the red, for unfunded liabilities.

One article I read said the state pension for the US are in the red for almost $900 billion, and that is not even their total for unfunded liabilities.

California pension funds close to bankruptcy

I know we are in tough economic times, but its our fault, and we need to take in the wallet ourselves, and not force our children and grandchildren to pay for our ignorance and overindulgence. I mean, come on, people thought it was okay to bargain for a retirement benefits package where they were retiring in their 40s, and for the last half of their life, collect 75%-90% of their last paycheck, plus benefits??
Any representative or senator who votes for this and who acccepted union campaign contributions ought to be prosecuted for bribery.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
This is not a bailout of unions. It is legislation to protect the workers from the improvident actions of their employers in failing to adequately fund the pension plans they freely contracted to provide for.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Gives one a warm fuzzy feeling just to be able to help these people out:
Quote:
After years of gambling in real estate investments, the state workers pension fund has lost more than 41 percent of its value, after peaking last fall. Its real estate holdings have dropped from $9 billion to $5.8 billion, according to the Sacramento Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This is not a bailout of unions. It is legislation to protect the workers from the improvident actions of their employers in failing to adequately fund the pension plans they freely contracted to provide for.
Convenietly forgetting to mention the "employer" is the State of California.
Just one branch of government doing a solid for another lol

Old 06-01-2010, 02:45 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,148 times
Solution is to revolt... and in the end not pay the income tax.... you are a slave... no voting will undo the mess the have created.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM

220 posts, read 222,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Solution is to revolt... and in the end not pay the income tax.... you are a slave... no voting will undo the mess the have created.
good luck with not paying income tax when your employer does that automatically for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies