Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Any person could pick up a subject, study it, have a teacher's manual and teach, if they had a mind to do it. There is a plethora of information and resources to be had!

I'm glad for teachers, but please, you can be replaced!
And I would offer you the challenge of doing exactly that.

I have seen a plethora of second career 'teachers' get their butts kicked by today's middle/high school students (and their parents) - they're out the door in less than a grading period. It take much more than a 'teacher's manual' to be an effective teacher in today's schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Quote:
See, this is where I get confused. Christie made ALOT of cuts, not only to school aid for towns but other aid in different areas. I got the estimate for my property taxes yesterday in the mail for the third quarter, and its up by 12 percent, 1100 dollar increase for the year. I thought fiscal conservatives where all about lower taxes and less spending. All I see is my town closing 2 schools, closing parks and my taxes going up 1100 a year. My town is a die hard rebuplican town, it's been run by conservatives for the past 20 years, so its not like the dems ran it to the ground. So again why are my services decreasing and my taxes going up?
Well obviosuly the local republicans aren't as conservative as they say they are. Republican does not equal fiscal conservative as we've unfortunately found out the last ten years. Fortunately Gov Christie does seem like the real deal and I hope to see him on the national stage after he gets done with business in NJ.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 PM

631 posts, read 720,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Well obviosuly the local republicans aren't as conservative as they say they are. Republican does not equal fiscal conservative as we've unfortunately found out the last ten years. Fortunately Gov Christie does seem like the real deal and I hope to see him on the national stage after he gets done with business in NJ.

Again I'm confused. My property taxes go up, due to a cut in aid, and this tax increase is OK, and not Christie fault, but my local government because they are not "real" conservatives.

When Obama wants to increase taxes to get rid of the deficit, its his fault the deficit is high, and and the increase is a horrible idea.

Not trying to start a fight but Can someone please tell me the difference?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:28 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
I agree the taxes in NJ are horrible and I think people who don't live in New Jersey don't realize how much everything cost. Insurance, taxes and property values are much higher here then they are in most states. Would I think 86,000 a year in North Carolina is too much... yes. In NJ I think its fair, and lets not forget she's been teaching for 17 years.

NJ's biggest problem is the amount of small boroughs with complete governments setup (police, fire. school etc) in each one. Many of these could be trimmed to save tons of money. Also the state took over many of the local county roles about 10 years ago. Since then property taxes went up 70 percent.

I think in NJ position they need to do all they need to help the state save money and get business to want to come do business in NJ

Do you not think its fair to ask them to not get a raise 1 year and help pay into their benefits?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I think in NJ position they need to do all they need to help the state save money and get business to want to come do business in NJ

Do you not think its fair to ask them to not get a raise 1 year and help pay into their benefits?

I think its very fair. The teacher Unions should have taken the hit. I do think that the Union's unreasonable stance has made a bad impression to the public about teachers, and now for some reason all of America thinks they are over paid slobs. The reality is, and I think you agree 83k in NJ is fair in particular after 17 years on the job.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
And I would offer you the challenge of doing exactly that.

I have seen a plethora of second career 'teachers' get their butts kicked by today's middle/high school students (and their parents) - they're out the door in less than a grading period. It take much more than a 'teacher's manual' to be an effective teacher in today's schools.
I homeschooled for 15 years, so I know that it can be done.

The purpose of the Teacher's Manuel is to keep the course on schedule, gives teaching tips, answers, and other additional information. At the end of my daughter's 7th grade year she took the Stanford Achievement Test and scored in the 11th grade percentile. It can be done.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
I'll go back on my own words. She makes 84,000 a year, has 17 years experience, masters degree and is a special ed teacher. Do I find this overpaid to teach kids with learning disablities? Nope. Is the average salary still around 55,000 yes.

NJ Teacher Details

Nice apology!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
According to the following chart the range for High School teacher is $43,210 - $59,888.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=High_School_Teacher/Salary/by_State

Keep up there junior...

based on this PDF from the Rutherford, New Jersey Board of Education — it looks like Ms. Wilson makes a salary of $86,389.
Read more at the Washington Examiner: NJ Teacher who complained to Gov. Chris Christie she deserved $83k actually makes $86k | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/nj-teacher-who-complained-to-gov-chris-christie-that-she-wasnt-paid-83k-she-deserved-actually-makes-86k-94951164.html#ixzz0piPx7mO4 - broken link)

Old 06-02-2010, 01:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Of course!

The problem with schools is teachers!

It's all so easy to see!
That and the bloated bureaucracy of the unions in order to pay for their pay, benefits and pensions.

Just explain where the $24000/pupil is going in these failed schools.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Keep up there junior...

based on this PDF from the Rutherford, New Jersey Board of Education — it looks like Ms. Wilson makes a salary of $86,389.
Read more at the Washington Examiner: NJ Teacher who complained to Gov. Chris Christie she deserved $83k actually makes $86k | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/nj-teacher-who-complained-to-gov-chris-christie-that-she-wasnt-paid-83k-she-deserved-actually-makes-86k-94951164.html#ixzz0piPx7mO4 - broken link)

His shows the average salary for NJ. Not this particular teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies