U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM

937 posts, read 1,924,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree. I don't recall seeing whites bawling when the NYC cops murdered Elanor Bumpers and she was 20 feet away and had only a knife. A shotgun to the knee would have stopped that without killing her. Maybe even pepper spray. But the whites all said it was "justified".
Ever hear of the reactionary gap? Its actually beyond 21 feet now, but within 21feet, someone with a knife can get to you and kill you before you can get to your gun and fire. "Only" had a knife? Get a clue. A shotgun to the knee? So wait, spraying buckshot at her knee from that far away, well, you'd remove her leg and also hit other people beyond that. Pepper spray to subdue someone with a knife? So while it takes 10-20 seconds to react, she'd stab you multiple times. You go ahead and try that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I still don't think it was necessary to kill her. She was not advancing on them with the knife. The cops were in number and they could have used pepper spray and shot her in a less lethal place to disable her.
Less lethal place? Go ahead and aim for the leg that far away, in a stress situation, and see if you hit it. You'll miss, hit someone else, etc. Or you strike an artery in the leg and she's dead anyways. WHen you use a gun, aka DEADLY FORCE, you use it with the intention to stop the threat, because YOU are being met with deadly force.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I disagree. If a person is standing there with a knife not near anybody and just refusing to put it down and I have a shot gun, I can bring that person down with no difficulty. Might they die if shot in the knee? Anything is possible but the majority of the time, they will live. They can quickly be cuffed and the bleeding stopped until EMS can take over.
You sound like you could write scripts for CSI: Miami. Real life? Try again.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM

14,390 posts, read 7,802,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The whole thing almost brings tears to my eyes, but anyone who points a gun at a cop is asking for trouble. The pic of the lady and the little doggy, give me a break!!!!

Had the census worker not shown up at 9pm, of this probably would not have happened, I wonder why she showed up so late? 10pm might be the breakoff time, but sitll, me, I wouldn't be doing census at that time. Regardless, situation is tragic to say the least, but you don't point a gun at anyone, especially a police officer. He did his job, the family needs to think about this and stop blaming everyone else for grandmas bad judgement.

Nita

According to other reports the Census worker was there around 8pm. Not that the time should mean anything. The Census worker's job is to show up when people are home. Regardless of what time the census worker showed up, no excuse for pointing a gun at the census worker, and the cops. The guy also pointed the gun at the cops, though he dropped the weapon. What a screwed up family.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM

50,040 posts, read 42,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
According to other reports the Census worker was there around 8pm. Not that the time should mean anything. The Census worker's job is to show up when people are home. Regardless of what time the census worker showed up, no excuse for pointing a gun at the census worker, and the cops. The guy also pointed the gun at the cops, though he dropped the weapon. What a screwed up family.
yep, some reports did say, 8pm. Regardless the whole thing is sad and yes, one screwed up family..

Nita

Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 PM

474 posts, read 285,813 times
Quote:

That's it? 2 days and that's all you got? And it's pretty weak. Beck telling us that he fills out his census is the big "shoot your census taker" smoking gun?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
That's it? 2 days and that's all you got? And it's pretty weak. Beck telling us that he fills out his census is the big "shoot your census taker" smoking gun?
I spent a couple seconds. I'm not suggesting that Beck or Bachmann played a role in this. However, the fear mongering, government will use the Census to get you crap is absurd, and bad things can happen when deranged lunatics hear it.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I spent a couple seconds. I'm not suggesting that Beck or Bachmann played a role in this. However, the fear mongering, government will use the Census to get you crap is absurd, and bad things can happen when deranged lunatics hear it.
Funny, I don't remember hearing any "government will use the census to get you" crap in this video. Let me watch it again . . . . . . . . . NO, there is no "the government will use the Census to get you" crap in this video at all. Do you just hear what you want to hear?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
Funny, I don't remember hearing any "government will use the census to get you" crap in this video. Let me watch it again . . . . . . . . . NO, there is no "the government will use the Census to get you" crap in this video at all. Do you just hear what you want to hear?
Bachman's claims about the Japanese during WW2 inferring that it could happen again

Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Bachman's claims about the Japanese during WW2 inferring that it could happen again
For NOT filling out the census. There is nothing in this piece that says filling out the census is bad. There is nothing in this piece that says good Americans don't fill out their Census. There is nothing in this piece to suggest you should SHOOT the Census taker when they come to your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies