Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Okay... time to put this silly idea to rest.

There is actually no such thing as shooting "in a less lethal place." I have seen a person shot in the leg where the bullet exited their shoulder. And a femoral artery wound in the leg will bleed you out in three minutes.

If you are shooting, you are not "shooting to wound." It's not exactly "precision" work. And you usually don't have a lot of time to consider your options.
I disagree. If a person is standing there with a knife not near anybody and just refusing to put it down and I have a shot gun, I can bring that person down with no difficulty. Might they die if shot in the knee? Anything is possible but the majority of the time, they will live. They can quickly be cuffed and the bleeding stopped until EMS can take over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
If the family had sent in their census form in April, there would have been no need to send a census employee to the household and this incident would never have happened. It's possible the census worker had been there in the daytime and no one was home. Thus, she went back in the evening when there was someone there. She was doing the job she was paid to do i.e. try and get the census data from the household.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:19 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I disagree. If a person is standing there with a knife not near anybody and just refusing to put it down and I have a shot gun, I can bring that person down with no difficulty.
No doubt. In that same circumstance, a baseball bat would be affective too.

Too bad that particular scenario is both rare and not what happened here.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times
Point a shotgun at a police officer who knocked on your door and you answered the door what do you expect will happen?

"Miss, would you please put down the gun, we are just trying to find out how many people live here".

Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
How do you think you might react if someone was pointing a gun at you? Would you still be thinking about all the "options" available to you...or would you take care of business?

If it was me, that woman is dead. Let the media spin the story how they will--she wasn't pointing that gun at them!
How you put this is very true. True the gun was not being pointed towards the media. Who knows how each of us would react, if face with these same circumstances.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:40 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeButel View Post
I remember having my car break down years ago on a residential street later at night than 9 pm, and I had qualms about waking somebody up, but I considered it perfectly normal to go knock on someone's door, which I did, and I got help and used the phone. The possibility of you being a stranger having to knock on someone's door at night is even more if you travel. Imagine your car breaking down on a remote country road at night, out of cell phone range. I would understand some paranoia, and when someone knocks on my door at night, certainly I would be careful. But then, you have to be just as careful in the day time. Whatever the person's reason for knocking on your door at night--and 9 pm is not late by today's standards--there is no law that makes it legal to point a gun at them. And knocking on someone's door is not trespassing. Congratulations to the police for helping clean up our genetic pool; too bad it was too late to keep that one from passing her genes on.
Part of your location says Houston, Texas.....

Do you even watch the local news about home invasions that happen at night here in Houston?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Btw, it was not 9pm when the Census worker was there, it was actually 8 pm. Not that in matters. Pulling a gun on a census worker who is simply doing their job is horrific and pulling guns on cops is eve stupider.

Yuba City woman shot, killed by police after census worker run-in | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM

328 posts, read 195,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Imagine the stupidity of doing your job! Outrageous!!

As opposed to your needing to have a fact or two that would indicate that I lie was told to begin with? Maybe its me, but I never noticed an overwhelming desire on the part of police to shoot 67 year old blonds in the suburbs.

Are things that bad in suburbia these days that knocking on the door is an act of trespass? Must make borrowing a cup of sugar a pretty harrowing experience!
Well cops are known for lying and covering things up. Yea its a act of trespass when you do it at night and more than likely the government worker had probably already been told more than once to get off the property.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
Yea its a act of trespass when you do it at night and more than likely the government worker had probably already been told more than once to get off the property.
Until you can point to the statute under California civil or criminal code that defines anything approaching your fantasized definition of trespass, I will treat your comment for what it is, fantasy.

PS - I've checked both so don't try to bs your way through this.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 PM

328 posts, read 195,976 times
You go ahead then. Hope you enjoy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies