Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 03:15 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Iran to Change 45 Billion Euros for Dollars, Gold: Report

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37464422 - broken link)

Iran's central bank will sell 45 billion euros from its reserves to buy dollars and gold ingots, a report on the website of state-owned Press TV said on Wednesday.

There was no announcement of the sale on the bank's website and officials at the bank declined comment.

Following the report, the euro eased slightly versus the dollar from around $1.2227 to $1.2213.

Traders said the news was having limited impact on the euro, and some in the market were sceptical about whether Tehran would be able to buy significant amounts of dollars, given that U.S. depository institutions are banned from processing transfers involving the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 03:18 PM

I know the amount is not huge, but it is funny the Iranians who tried to kill the dollar with their oil bourse and Euro trading suddenly flip-flop back to good old USD when Euro tanks. Maybe the era of USD as world reserve currency is not over yet. I'll tell you it has looked pretty scary the past 10 years or so, but appearently there is still faith in USD.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know the amount is not huge, but it is funny the Iranians who tried to kill the dollar with their oil bourse and Euro trading suddenly flip-flop back to good old USD when Euro tanks. Maybe the era of USD as world reserve currency is not over yet. I'll tell you it has looked pretty scary the past 10 years or so, but appearently there is still faith in USD.
Of course, it is on Fox that I heard this story twice today but both times they said that the Euro is about to tank completely and this sounds like a gentle nudge toward that very thing.

It does appear that they want to do something but I wonder if it is anything good toward the USD. It does appear that they see what is coming and it isn't what you and I have agreed about for some time.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:39 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Talk about being between a rock and a hard place and having to swallow your pride and return to the Great Satan's currency.What a choice should I stay with this currency with countries that are in debt up to their eyeballs or take this currency from a country that is in debt up to their eyeballs.No where to run no where to hide.The best scenerio for them is to get more gold then USD.
I wonder why they did not do what China did,they took 30 billion USD and traded with the IMF for SDR's.That might be there next move.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Of course, it is on Fox that I heard this story twice today but both times they said that the Euro is about to tank completely and this sounds like a gentle nudge toward that very thing.

It does appear that they want to do something but I wonder if it is anything good toward the USD. It does appear that they see what is coming and it isn't what you and I have agreed about for some time.
FOX has been saying that about the dollar too so..... but then again, so have I on occation.

Anyway, it is a business move from Iran, not an attempt to boster the USD. It makes sense to dump a currency (Euro) which is tanking. What is telling though, is that world central banks did not do the same to USD when it was hurting in the past 10 years. That says a lot. Some central banks like China did so in small scale but only to balance their portfolio. Obviously the world is not ready to say good bye to USD yet.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Talk about being between a rock and a hard place and having to swallow your pride and return to the Great Satan's currency.What a choice should I stay with this currency with countries that are in debt up to their eyeballs or take this currency from a country that is in debt up to their eyeballs.No where to run no where to hide.The best scenerio for them is to get more gold then USD.
I wonder why they did not do what China did,they took 30 billion USD and traded with the IMF for SDR's.That might be there next move.
I am sure it was not easy for Iran to support the currency of the great satan, but business is business. Maybe even Iranian bankers know no religion Gold is to expensive that I would be vary of going there if I were a central bank. If this becomes a trend, I'd say it is a very good sign for US, because it means central banks aroud the world have faith in US comeback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies