U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
 
5,406 posts, read 12,275,075 times
Reputation: 5426

Advertisements

I don't get it, all the networks, cable news, newspapers, etc., always turn to a Mexican, or Mexican-American to debate the Arizona immigration law. Why? It is like asking rapist what they think of DNA test kits.... what do you think the rapist is going to say? Just stupid, you already know where most will stand.

Political Correctess run amok. Why doesn't the media ever debate the law with African Americans? They are US citizens too last I knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Gilpin Co., CO
474 posts, read 489,029 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I don't get it, all the networks, cable news, newspapers, etc., always turn to a Mexican, or Mexican-American to debate the Arizona immigration law. Why? It is like asking rapist what they think of DNA test kits.... what do you think the rapist is going to say? Just stupid, you already know where most will stand.

Political Correctess run amok. Why doesn't the media ever debate the law with African Americans? They are US citizens too last I knew.

Shh, you're not suppose to notice liberal bias. News bias is all about that evil Faux News Network, which isn't entitled to 1st amendment rights like other news outlets who know the appropriate direction to slant their stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,121 posts, read 10,361,971 times
Reputation: 11776
I'm not saying that Mexican-Americans should be the only ones whose opinion should be asked, and last I checked that isn't the case. But legal Mexican-Americans are also the ones who face the possibility of being disproportionately harrassed due to the way this law was structured, and that's a perspective on the debate that should be heard. It's not the only perspective, but in fairness to all parties involved, it is one worth including. Categorizing all Mexican-Americans as basically criminally complicit when they aren't and using that as a basis to deny them a voice is unfair. If you get to be heard, they should get to be heard. Isn't that the point of free speech? I don't see the problem here.

Finally, if your main concern is that you already know what they're going to say: do you think we should not ask tea party right wingers what they think of the law, either? We already know what they're going to say, too. It could save us a lot of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,341,788 times
Reputation: 5906
Yeah, it's kinda like asking Jews what they think of the Holocaust, or Blacks what they think of discrimination, or asking Asians about stereotypes. Damn those liberals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,430,739 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
Shh, you're not suppose to notice liberal bias. News bias is all about that evil Faux News Network, which isn't entitled to 1st amendment rights like other news outlets who know the appropriate direction to slant their stories.
I totally disagree with you, Fox News Outlet, isn't any more bias then STUPID CNN OR MSNBC OR NBC or any other news outlet. They all have their stories, they all are bias to a point, every freaking single one of them. I'm sorry but i find that fox tells you more about the news you want to here, and i listen to all of them, let me fase that, i use to, cannot stand CNN OR MSNBC. There is bias on these forums, there is bias all over the place, this is life. And i happen to find that some of the other news outles, are wayyyyyyyyyyy more bias then Fox, which is the most popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,341,788 times
Reputation: 5906
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I totally disagree with you, Fox News Outlet, isn't any more bias then STUPID CNN OR MSNBC OR NBC or any other news outlet. They all have their stories, they all are bias to a point, every freaking single one of them. I'm sorry but i find that fox tells you more about the news you want to here, and i listen to all of them, let me fase that, i use to, cannot stand CNN OR MSNBC. There is bias on these forums, there is bias all over the place, this is life. And i happen to find that some of the other news outles, are wayyyyyyyyyyy more bias then Fox, which is the most popular.
You are absolutely correct.... FOX only tells you what they know you want to hear (if you happen to be a 'winger).

"See honey, I told you... Obama is a racist, the government is evil and and there really is an international conspiracy... it's true, Glenn Beck just said so!"


YouTube - Glenn Beck Fail: Best Of Beck Clips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
402 posts, read 745,683 times
Reputation: 231
Default Not About Race

I see no reason why a Hispanic living legally in the United States would be offended by the law. I don't know the numbers, but plenty of Hispanics in Arizona support the law. In addition to the reasons why anyone would support the law, here are some reasons why it benefits Hispanics-

1) Illegal immigrants from Mexico make legal Americans of Mexican heritage look bad.
2) Legal Hispanics suffer the same negative effects (economic burden, increased crime, etc.) that white and black Americans do.
3) An honest look at the law shows that legal residence of any race have nothing to worry about, including Americans of Hispanic descent.

The way some people portray the law, you would think the police are going to be driving around arresting Hispanic people. Here are a few problems with that theory-
1) The law is not based on race, its based on immigration status. European, African, Asian, Hispanic, it doesn't matter, if you're here illegaly, that is going to be a problem.
2) The Arizona police aren't that dumb to go arresting everyone who looks Mexican. They don't want to get sued.
3) Many people from Mexico are of European descent, and wouldn't look very different from an Anglo in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,798 posts, read 6,715,336 times
Reputation: 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
I see no reason why a Hispanic living legally in the United States would be offended by the law. I don't know the numbers, but plenty of Hispanics in Arizona support the law.
Let me stop you right there. 12% support it. 12. 12%. That is not plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 27,313,750 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm not saying that Mexican-Americans should be the only ones whose opinion should be asked, and last I checked that isn't the case. But legal Mexican-Americans are also the ones who face the possibility of being disproportionately harrassed due to the way this law was structured, and that's a perspective on the debate that should be heard. It's not the only perspective, but in fairness to all parties involved, it is one worth including. Categorizing all Mexican-Americans as basically criminally complicit when they aren't and using that as a basis to deny them a voice is unfair. If you get to be heard, they should get to be heard. Isn't that the point of free speech? I don't see the problem here.

Finally, if your main concern is that you already know what they're going to say: do you think we should not ask tea party right wingers what they think of the law, either? We already know what they're going to say, too. It could save us a lot of time.
I know lots of Mexican-Americans who are in their third and fourth generation of citizenship here that will answer that question exactly all Tea Party goers will answer it. Those in this area of the nation just don't like the illegals they have to work with at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 16,059,888 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I don't get it, all the networks, cable news, newspapers, etc., always turn to a Mexican, or Mexican-American to debate the Arizona immigration law. Why? It is like asking rapist what they think of DNA test kits.... what do you think the rapist is going to say? Just stupid, you already know where most will stand.

Political Correctess run amok. Why doesn't the media ever debate the law with African Americans? They are US citizens too last I knew.
Or at least interview a mexican american who agrees with 1070 (they do exist, I am one). As much as I agree with the Ariz law, I wouldn't want to publically announce it b/c it's just like discussing politics, which I don't like to do since I am a salesman and deal with customers of differing opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top