Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:16 PM

243 posts, read 887,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I just want to know how you can buy a three bedroom house for $60,000...I'll take a couple at that price...
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 03:24 PM

243 posts, read 887,427 times
Default $100.000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Uh very nice- where can I get that job .
$100.000 isn't much!!!!!!!!!! It costs me almost that much to live in a day!!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:37 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Why in the He** is it that everyone wants to blame the "rich" for their problems. Sounds like a terrible case of class envy to me. "Oh, the rich have this, the rich do that. . ." If you want what the rich have, get off your ass and work for it like they did!
You can get off your ass and work like they did, but if everyone got off their ass and work like they did, there would not be as many riches to do around. In theory, that is why communism fails; not enough resource to go around. I happen to think a capitalist system works well,but only temporarily. As resources become overwhelmed,and there is not enough resource or as the production of a resource peaks (in our age, its oil) the society will fall, just as the roman empire did. Fact of the matter is, the collapse has began, and you can't blame the liberals or the neocons. Middle class is sinking first, and the wealthy will keep it until they die off.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Buckhead your point is valid, but that is not entirely fair. We are seeing a sea change in our society, and it can't all be blamed on the illegal immigrants doing the crap jobs nobody else wants. Things have happened incredibly quickly with globalization the past 5 years. What was thought to be highly marketable in the 1990s all of a sudden is being outsourced now. This includes computer programmers, engineers, skilled manufacturing positions, etc, etc. Lots of positions that require advanced degrees. A lot of people may have made all the right moves, they are middle aged, their job gets outsourced, now what. The jobs with the competitors are getting outsourced too. Sure they can go back to school and take on more debt. But now they are looking to start a career in a whole new field and they are older. Not easy. And our society is turning into a service based society. Do we really need more lawyers and bankers? The only other options seem to be restaurants and selling cars.
Well-spoken, hard-hitting, sensitive post. Congrats!! Speaks well to the eternal tension between a society which offers unbridled opportunity and one which seeks a guaranteed security. No easy solution...

Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 PM

194 posts, read 281,241 times
[quote=Buckhead_Broker;1048737]I understand but don't agree totally. If a person worked in the IT field and didn't see that the internet was going to flatten the world they were either in denial or just blind.

Very interesting....
This is what people are saying about the real estate market. Isn't that the same industry your you have been bragging about that you work in? You'll probably lose everything I hope you have "Developed some Marketable Skills" You have " Developed Some Marketable" skills haven't you? The last thing we need is another hungry mouth on welfare in this country....

Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 AM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
[quote=nsgjdennis;1051511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
I understand but don't agree totally. If a person worked in the IT field and didn't see that the internet was going to flatten the world they were either in denial or just blind.

Very interesting....
This is what people are saying about the real estate market. Isn't that the same industry your you have been bragging about that you work in? You'll probably lose everything I hope you have "Developed some Marketable Skills" You have " Developed Some Marketable" skills haven't you? The last thing we need is another hungry mouth on welfare in this country....

Yes, I do quite well. But thank you for your concern. And it's not bragging if you can do it. I can quit working today and never have to ask for any sort of government assistance to live out a very comfortable lifestyle. Maybe you should be worrying though.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,015 times
jesus christ.

you have no help with you at all

Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
Social class is not just a matter of money.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I am not blaming anything on the "rich". I guess my point was missed. I want to know why some people that consider themselves middle class blame the rich for there not having enough money to pay there bills,lack of health care etc. Like I said I am very middle class and I am good to go!!
I think we need the rich, they keep the economy going!

A myriad of complex issues.

1) Different types of tax rates on various incomes. Why is income for labor taxed at a higher rate?
2) Tax loopholes that those of less means can not possibly take advantage of
3) The growing intergenerational income mobility. (Less people being able to work their way out of the class they were born into.)
4) The growing incongruiety of the whole "rising boats" theory about hard work within a company. Some are getting rewarded at a much higher rate than others. There is no explanation why middle class jobs are worth less than they were 30 years ago.
5) Expensive lobbyists employed to lobby for legislation that allows all of the above to increase

Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I am not wealthy and I got a "Bush" tax break..I live in a very blue collar town here in south jersey. Everyone on my street is a blue collar worker and they all drive to work in either a big truck or an suv.
You mean the place where everyone commute 2 hours to Manhattan just so they can get cheap housing? Where there isn't ANYTHING at all to do.... Like Tom's River.... Eesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies