Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times

Advertisements

Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I certainly don't disagree with you. Which raises a larger point: America will never be free of oil dependency. Too may products rely on it. But that's for another thread.

Obviously i'm pained by the actual oil spill, but the CEO's of BP have been less than stellar in their interviews - almost like its just another day in the oil business. For that reason, I have trouble contributing to their golden parachute, which I believe will be handed out pretty soon as this crisis unfolds.
Do I have to boycott BP since the spill of today is so much smaller than the one by the Mexican company in 1979? That one took a whole 9 months to take care of and was done by drilling the two wells and using concrete to seal it all off. That one put 138 million barrels of oil in the Gulf which dwarfs the present one up to now. Check the time it took then and what BP says about now.

I think that many could learn a bit about this one from my thread about BP paying for the cleanup thread. I learned quite a bit that I know I never would have learned unless Fox started telling the story. Nobody else is going to compare these two spills.

I can't boycott their stations because there just aren't any near anywhere I buy gasoline. In fact, I haven't seen one company mentioned on this thread that does have stations in my part of the world. Ain't a shame?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldTheBeans View Post
I'm willing to see what actually happens first before throwing everybody under the bus. Two weeks ago Florida was supposed to be under oil and just today I think they spotted the stuff. Now the media is howling that NC and even NY better look out and on and on. A lot of this oil evaporates and is being dispersed with chemicals. Now I'm not excusing anybody but before jumping the gun like the media has been we still need to find out what the hell happened to begin with. Nobody is talking just playing the blame game. Government and BP should be working together instead of at odds sending the AG down to bully BP who is the only ones apparently who can stop this thing and now shutting down rigs for six months is gonna just cripple the economy down there. These rigs must use proprietary parts.
I still think that the government is using this catastrophe to shut down as much off shore drilling as they can. How happy are the environmentalist groups the way things are going.

Do you know that we still have to wait 2 more weeks before the investigation really begins as to what caused all of this?

How many here know that in 1979 a Mexican bunch had a 138 million gallon spill that has been mentioned but just mentioned by the media? Yep, it happened and they got by with it. Maybe the reason is that 24/7 news groups weren't around competing for the money.

BP has said that they will pay for the entire cleanup so it must not be as bad as it seems to most people. Have you seen the post by starline9 about the Exxon Valdez spill and how it is very hard to find any real damage from that one? I wonder how the Gulf managed to recover from the Mexican spill in 1979. They were fishing in that area about a year from the March 1980 capping of the line. Maybe the media is trying to help Obama keep drilling from happening. Maybe, hell.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I am. I know it won't do any good and all that. But I am so frustrated as to what is happening and not happening.

And no it doesn't make me feel better. What would make me feel better is go back a few months and have them take the right precautions so 11 people would still be alive and the Gulf wouldn't be going down the crapper along with people's jobs and our coasts.
It appears to me that many here need to wait till the investigation that will be broadcast on TV a couple of weeks from now. That investigation will be to find out just what caused this catastrophe not throw all kinds of crap about it the way our media has done up to now. I will be waiting till that time since BP has agreed to pay for the clean up completely and they are already giving Louisiana parishes the booms they have been after for so long. Do you know that our government was supposes to have a whole raft of those things on hand from a much earlier law? Didn't have a damned thing. Blame every administration from the late 80s up to now for that little skip it thing.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
What do you mean? I prefer Marathon anyway, so boycotting BP wouldn't be hard to do on my end.

I'm just curious if the oil spill has piissed people off enough to drive past the BP station and stop somwhere else?
By all means, make sure you stop in the BP station and tell the owner why you are punishing them for the mistakes BP has made. BP doesn't own the station you know...someone in your community does. The people who work in the station don't work for BP either. If the station sell less gas their profits go down, maybe they have to lay off a couple of employees, but BP just sells their gas to someone else and you may well be buying the same BP gas at the station across the street. Ooops, I hate it when that happens.
Meanwhile, that BP station owner and his employees suffer the consequences for something they have no control over....BP goes on selling as much gas as ever.

I might be pissed off about the oil spill, but I'm not stupid enough to think I'm hurting BP by participating in a boycott.

Last edited by NCyank; 06-04-2010 at 08:42 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
I certainly don't disagree with you. Which raises a larger point: America will never be free of oil dependency. Too may products rely on it. But that's for another thread.

Obviously i'm pained by the actual oil spill, but the CEO's of BP have been less than stellar in their interviews - almost like its just another day in the oil business. For that reason, I have trouble contributing to their golden parachute, which I believe will be handed out pretty soon as this crisis unfolds.
And what exactly do you expect BP to do here that they haven't already done or thought of? They are spending boat loads of cash to clean this thing up to their best ability. There is only so much you can apologize as a company before people think you're being fake or superficial about it. I personally think Hayward is handling the issue pretty well given the intense firestorm of politics against him.

When the whole world has eyes on you for making a mistake that was more than likely caused by failed government regulations, it's kinda hard to get ANYthing done without people bitching and complaining endlessly.

Do I think BP should take full responsibility for this and reimburse everyone affected economically? Absolutely 100%, and they said they would honor that. It is a mistake people! Mistakes happen, even the government makes mistakes... yet liberals seem to ignore that fact. Until this is proven to be a criminal case against BP, meaning they were found guilty of breaking regulations, I cannot see any good berating them further.

People will complain no matter what happens. That's our lovely society for you... Nobody is ever right, and nothing is ever good enough.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,374 times
Quote:
Just curious, are any of you boycotting BP gas? I've boycotted Exxon and Citgo for several years now. BP might make its way to my list as well.

Are you?
Yup, **** em.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
No;because that could only cause them to go bankrupt and then who do you think pays the bill.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Just curious, are any of you boycotting BP gas? I've boycotted Exxon and Citgo for several years now. BP might make its way to my list as well.

Are you?
I don't buy gas--at all. So I guess I'm boycotting all the major oil companies. And the minor ones too.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
I"ve been boycotting Exxon (greed) and Citgo (Chavez) for several years now. I'll note to the anti-boycotters on the thread that niether of those two entities have gone bankrupt.

The little man who owns those stations is hurt every single time I drive past and wheel it into the other competition. But that's the price of doing business in the United States.

To the BP-lovers on the thread, keep buying BP. I don't begrudge you. But spare us the "little man" argument. BP is not going bankrupt over someone going to another gas station. Remember the billions of profit they've reeped everytime you stop in for a fill. And know that those profits are now going to clean up a mess.

For now, I say "No Thanks." My dollars will go somewhere else. Again, that's the price of doing business in the USA.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 06-05-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies