Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm not enslaved by the oil companies. I am enslaved by the people who want to end our oil drilling. They are the ones who are hamstringing our economy.

Let the oil companies do what they are in the business to do; provide the maximum oil that the economy demands at the cheapest price.

The oil companies are not the problem here. Government is the problem, and radical environmentalism.

You have no understanding of how an economy works. Do you think the oil companies just raise the prices willy nilly? Obviously you must think that. If they were allowed to drill and produce all the can, prices would come down, they would still make huge profits (which is what they are in business to do) and we would walk all over the rest of the world, as we once did.
You are enslaved to oil and the companies that supply that oil. Oil companies are your "pusher!" Your posts reflect the fear of someone who is addicted and afraid of loosing his supply. You clearly are willing to do anything, pay any price, or put up with anything (including destruction of our great land), to keep getting you supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is a cry of help from someone who is enslaved by oil companies. When big oil decides to raise their price of oil, you no longer have a choice or alternative.
Quote:
You are enslaved to oil and the companies that supply that oil. Oil companies are your "pusher!" Your posts reflect the fear of someone who is addicted and afraid of loosing his supply. You clearly are willing to do anything, pay any price, or put up with anything (including destruction of our great land), to keep getting you supply.
That's easy for you to say living in the flat US midwest. Try living in one of the hilliest regions of the country.

http://www.cadencecycling.com/training/blog/uploaded_images/Canton-702482.jpg (broken link)

http://www.cadencecycling.com/training/blog/uploaded_images/Logan-725819.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-05-2010, 06:38 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
The difference is that the other countries drill wisely with all available safety measures. The USA is becoming the Walmart of the world!
And you get this information from...where?

Why do you thing that other contries have more safety measures in place than we do, when they don't have the environmental constaints that we have?

Secondly, we have developed much of the equipment for offshore drilling. They buy if from us. Why do you think Haliburton was selected to deal with the oil fields in Iraq? Most of the equipment is theirs. They know it better than anyone.

We have always been the leader in oilfield technology.

And, by the way, I worked for many years for a company that provided equipment to the offshore oil and commercial diving industry. I am somewhat familiar with offshore drilling and who's who. Haliburton is one of the biggest suppliers, and they are a U.S. company (as I'm sure you know).

Apparently, you are already a slave--------to the oil companies![/quote]

No; to environmental wakos.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:

Why do you thing that other contries have more safety measures in place than we do, when they don't have the environmental constaints that we have?

Secondly, we have developed much of the equipment for offshore drilling. They buy if from us. Why do you think Haliburton was selected to deal with the oil fields in Iraq? Most of the equipment is theirs. They know it better than anyone.

And, by the way, I worked for many years for a company that provided equipment to the offshore oil and commercial diving industry. I am somewhat familiar with offshore drilling and who's who. Haliburton is one of the biggest suppliers, and they are a U.S. company (as I'm sure you know).

Apparently, you are already a slave--------to the oil companies!

No; to environmental wakos.
This is what I know.

Quote:
The oil well spewing crude into the Gulf of Mexico didn't have a remote-control shut-off switch used in two other major oil-producing nations as last-resort protection against underwater spills.
Quote:
Regulators in two major oil-producing countries, Norway and Brazil, in effect require them. Norway has had acoustic triggers on almost every offshore rig since 1993.
Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device - WSJ.com

Old 06-05-2010, 07:43 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Default hmm...

Quote:
What are you going to do to stop the foreign countries from drilling in the gulf, Mr. Smarypants.

If we stop, do you think the rest of the world will? Sure. They aren't stupid.
lol...

How about - No you can't drill in our EEZ? (Exclusive Economic Zone)

Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) is a seazone over which a state has special rights over the exploration and use of marine resources. It stretches from the seaward edge of the state's territorial sea out to 200 nautical miles from its coast. In casual usage, the term may include the territorial sea and even the continental shelf beyond the 200 mile limit.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Lightbulb hmm...

Quote:

Interesting...or at least it will be since Halliburton Energy Services Inc, which was engaged in cementing operations of the well and well cap will definitely be asked what went wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies