Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Nor do I, especially because these teabaggers won't shut up about how much disdain they have for this nation's government and elected leaders. Patriots? These fools are veering dangerously close to treason. As a proud patriot who has fought for his country in foreign lands and who will fight for his country again in foreign lands, they are one step away from walking on the fighting side of me. Revolution is not "cute" teabaggers, and that word has been on your lips a little too often lately. I'm not amused.
Disdain for politicians= treason? No it means that you are not deaf dumb and blind and at least partially retarded.
I too am a vet who has faught for his country and bled for his country. My loyalty is not for politicians. This country is not about politicians.
Loyal to Pelosi? Newt? Biden? Clinton? Bush? Cheny? I think not. I am loyal to the United States of America.
Its unfortunate that only the most dishonest and corrupt seem to get elected. Evidence thatthe average voter is either too lazy to research their vote or to stupid to understand that Party doesn't equal country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Disdain for politicians= treason? No it means that you are not deaf dumb and blind and at least partially retarded.
I too am a vet who has faught for his country and bled for his country. My loyalty is not for politicians. This country is not about politicians.
Loyal to Pelosi? Newt? Biden? Clinton? Bush? Cheny? I think not. I am loyal to the United States of America.
Its unfortunate that only the most dishonest and corrupt seem to get elected. Evidence thatthe average voter is either too lazy to research their vote or to stupid to understand that Party doesn't equal country.
Nice discussion. The system today is broken. Both sides vote for the most extreme members of their parties in the primaries, so that is who we get to choose from in the general elections. All pols care about is their own reelections and making sure the other side gets no credit for anything. The system is set up to ensure nothing gets done. Honestly it is pretty depressing to watch. Sometimes I think we need a benevolent dictatorship to at least point us in a direction and then get us there. Only half kidding.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It probably won't surprise you to hear that I loathe Bush. I agreed with, and participated, in much of the Bush bashing. You know though, I'm getting older. (I'm 33.) Watching the teabaggers is making me reflect on my own past behavior. And I'm beginning to realize that true patriotism transcends political parties, as our founding fathers urged us to realize as a fledgling nation.
You say you participated in much Bush bashing. We have seen a lot of bashing here of a veteran Marine and for no other reason than that he is a conservative at a Tea Party gathering. His audience also has had hateful remarks hurled at it, again for no good reason but I'll bet you that the folks in that audience are not the kind of people who woud have spat upon our returning Viet Nam vets. What elements in our society were so vile toward our vets? It wasn't the right, that's for sure.

It's good to see that you are growing in wisdom with the years. Patriotism does transcend political parties, but it also requires actively monitoring and controlling, to the extent legally possible, their power grabs and aspirations at the people's expense. We, the people, are the government until we abdicate and hand it over to the politicians when we're just too lazy to stay involved. Then, THEY become the government. I don't believe anyone would criticize them if they were working in the best interests of the country, if they were truly transparent and ethical, and showed wisdom and the capable leadership that we expect. We cannot afford blind obedience and fall into line behind incompetence and greed. The stakes are too high. The country is at a cross roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
With Beck and Maher you can hit the remote, with the law makers we have to live with their decisions. I think you put far too much emphasis on entertainers.

I also see some hypocrisy in your words but we all probably have some of that.
As in this:

... these teabaggers won't shut up about how much disdain they have for this nation's government and elected leaders. Patriots? These fools are veering dangerously close to treason. As a proud patriot who has fought for his country in foreign lands and who will fight for his country again in foreign lands, they are one step away from walking on the fighting side of me. Revolution is not "cute" teabaggers, and that word has been on your lips a little too often lately. I'm not amused.

If you served, I thank you for your service. However, I'm not quite clear what you are fighting for when you "fight for your country", especially if you can show such intolerance for people who are also patriots. Methinks a bit of political perspective has clouded your own vision to show such disdain for those whose views differ from your own.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You say you participated in much Bush bashing. We have seen a lot of bashing here of a veteran Marine and for no other reason than that he is a conservative at a Tea Party gathering. His audience also has had hateful remarks hurled at it, again for no good reason but I'll bet you that the folks in that audience are not the kind of people who woud have spat upon our returning Viet Nam vets. What elements in our society were so vile toward our vets? It wasn't the right, that's for sure.

It's good to see that you are growing in wisdom with the years. Patriotism does transcend political parties, but it also requires actively monitoring and controlling, to the extent legally possible, their power grabs and aspirations at the people's expense. We, the people, are the government until we abdicate and hand it over to the politicians when we're just too lazy to stay involved. Then, THEY become the government. I don't believe anyone would criticize them if they were working in the best interests of the country, if they were truly transparent and ethical, and showed wisdom and the capable leadership that we expect. We cannot afford blind obedience and fall into line behind incompetence and greed. The stakes are too high. The country is at a cross roads.

You couldn't even ask for a more typically ignorant right wing post. He's even passed along their "spat on Vietnam vets " lie yet again.

This is how they do it folks. They lie to the lemmings and the lemmings accept the lies. They don't have the intellect to question what they are told.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

The Nazi propagandists used a version this myth on their lemmings to discredit people who don't fall into line when the politicians call for War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stab-in-the-back_legend

Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Your post is not worth repeating.

You want to try to convince us all that Viet Nam vets got heros' welcomes when they came home from a failed war that the democrats unleashed and would not permit our troops to win?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Your post is not worth repeating.

You want to try to convince us all that Viet Nam vets got heros' welcomes when they came home from a failed war that the democrats unleashed and would not permit our troops to win?
You can't read too well.

I mentioned nothing about that ALL vets received a "heros welcome"

That's you trying to run away from your lie about Vets being spit on.

Additionally, popular opinion in the USA turned against the war. That's why we left. Liberals don't have this magic dust to make the majority bend to our will.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:04 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Tea parties are meant against government. This is pro-government banter.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Tin, disdain for certain politicians is not treason. However, I didn't say disdain for "politicians" .. I said disdain for government, which is what many of the teabaggers express.

Our form of government is an essential part of our country. If you support the US Constitution as the teabaggers claim to do (and as you and I are/were sworn to protect and uphold) you support our government. If you don't like the current person or people in office you are free to voice your concerns anytime and in two to four years vote for a different person or people.

What rubs me the wrong way though is this constant, unrelenting day in and day out bile that fellow Americans are expressing towards one another. You know what? I'm a liberal. I happen to like Barack. He's my guy. Apparently, I'm not alone because the majority of Americans voted for him. Apparently, according to some talk radio hosts and their fans this makes me anti-patroitic, evil, callow, minsinformed or whatever. I am none of those things, sir. I'm a proud American who thinks that Barack is the right man for these times.

Now I know that there are talk radio hosts and fans on the left who go on and on about how Bush voters and Palin supporters are undeserving of respect and stupid and whatever.

I'm 33.. still pretty young, but I'm getting old enough to be getting sick of this. No more. This is no way to live. America has stood the test of time because in times past we have been mature enough to come together as one nation after elections. Beck and Maher and their ilk are threatening to destroy this proud heritage with their constant, self-serving rants. Again, it's beginning to really p*** me off.

I am a liberal, but I am also a soldier who currently lives in Georgia. Of course I interact with plenty of white, southern conservatives on a daily basis. I'm proud to count many of them as my friends and neighbors. I find they are just as likely to be patriotic and educated as the liberals and people from other regions I come across. We just have some different ideas about how things should be run. That's cool. That's what democracy is all about. We can't let this destroy us. (See all of Latin America for examples of countries with democractic institutions that were torn to shreds by demogauges.)

Mark my words. I'm going to be singing this same tune in 2012 or 16 when we have a Republican for president or a Republican Congress. I will probably voice dissent over many of their policies, but I'm just sick of attacks on character and attacks on patriotism. We're all Americans, searching for solutions to the same problems. It's high time we all start showing each other some more respect. Seriously.

Thank you for your service.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:07 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Patriotism does transcend political parties, but it also requires actively monitoring and controlling, to the extent legally possible, their power grabs and aspirations at the people's expense. We, the people, are the government until we abdicate and hand it over to the politicians when we're just too lazy to stay involved. Then, THEY become the government. I don't believe anyone would criticize them if they were working in the best interests of the country, if they were truly transparent and ethical, and showed wisdom and the capable leadership that we expect. We cannot afford blind obedience and fall into line behind incompetence and greed. The stakes are too high. The country is at a cross roads.
Southward, I think being an engaged citizen who voices dissent is a good thing. I also think it is the responsibility of American citizens to keep their elected leaders in check. We get the form of government we deserve. I'm with you in just about everything you say in the above paragraph.

Keep in mind, however, there are some of us out there who are just as engaged, patriotic and informed who have a different perspective and idea about how our government should be ran. Patriotism transcends party, meaning at the end of the day, we're all Americans.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Just an old man stuck in the past..

If that guy wants to sing about God why doesn't he do it in a church?
because he doesn't have to. or does he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies