Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,593,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Westcobb. First of all know that I am grateful for your service and thank you for it.
My greatest issues is with party hardliners who seem to feel that party = country. The party's are in a business. A business that brokers power, favors and corruption. The government once a noble concept has been corrupted into something I doubt our forefathers would be proud of.
Our government is the best of ideas, the best of intentions and the very best of ideals. We the voters have helped to transform it into what it is today. The voters who vote party line, and the voter who votes not based on qualifications but because their friend says to.
Political figures should be able to bear up under any scrutiny and it is the job of every citizen to be very critical. We are supposed to be the boss.
I will question character, honesty, and integrity of any and all politicians.
Obama is your man? To what does he oh such loyalty? What has he done in his life to earn such note worthy praise and respect? What has any politician done?
Some are combat vets like myself. I thank them for that service but that buys no loyalty. I am not anti-Obama nor am I pro Obama. He hasn't earned it yet. I am still waiting for any of the change he promised about how they do business. Instead we get a bunch of very questionable so called czars. We get the ever popular arm twisting and bribing for votes.
You talk about unpatriotic etc. and I agree with you.
On the other side you have those that feel anyone who disagrees with Obama must be a racist. Anyone who questions the democrats hates poor people etc. The stones are thrown by both sides. Its a bipartisan issue. Why? Because that is how they want it. Divide and conquer.
Is either party really any different than the other?
I am in complete agreement with all of the statements I have bolded. It's true. We have an outstanding form of government, but it only works if we work it. Citizens have to be informed, critical and engaged. When we fall asleep, and quit minding our business as a nation, the powers of corruption are left at the wheel to steer the boat to whatever harbor best suits them.

I don't agree with most of what most teabaggers have to say, but I have to give them credit for trying. At least they're out there advocating for what they believe in. They just need to can the revolution talk, as I have already stated. Revolution takes place at the ballot box.

As for Obama, yeah, I voted for him. I figured in 2008, he was the best pick. I like McCain too, but his decision to pick Palin as VP pretty much sent a signal to me that he's past his prime .. that pick was bold, but it took him out of the running as a serious person in my mind. I don't want to start a hate rant on Palin, but I don't think she's anywhere near qualified to run this country. If she were in office, I think the special interests would pretty much roll her.

Anyhow, about Obama ... when I am picking a candidate, I like to take a close look at where they came from and how high they have climbed in life. Yes, we have had some outstanding presidents who were born into the ruling classes, but they have also been some of our biggest stinkers. The Bushes (I like the dad more than the son) fall into this category. If either one of them had been born into single parent homes or homes with abusive fathers, or homes with poverty issues, could either one of them held it together long enough to get into a school like Yale and capitalize on that opportunity? Prolly not.

If you look at the greats, or even the pretty goods, they often come from humble backgrounds. Reagan falls into this category, as does Clinton, Nixon -- and if you go way back, you've got your Lincoln and Jackson.

Obama has an interesting background -- no one gave him anything -- yet he was able to succeed. Another thing about him is that most of the people who knew him when have good things to say about him. I liked the fact that he was voted president of Harvard law (a very politically divided body at the time) with support from the conservatives. Some of them supported him because they said he had a cool head and a first class temperment.. if they had to pick someone from the other side of the aisle, they picked him.

To be perfectly honest, I also figured it's about time to have a black president. I didn't vote for him solely based on this (I wouldn't have voted for a Jesse Jackson), but I think he does some good being up there because his presence sends a signal to a large segment of our fellow Americans (those who in times past were held back unjustly) that nope -- America really has changed. We mean it. If you work hard, you can succeed.

I know that most white people -- conservative and liberal -- feel this way. A racist is a very rare animal these days, but a lot of black people are still suspicious of us. I think Obama does some good for race relations in the country, which is good .. because if we are going to make it in this century we need all oars in the water, black, white, brown, yellow, etc.

Just my two cents.

Sorry for veering so off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,638,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't agree with most of what most teabaggers have to say, but I have to give them credit for trying. At least they're out there advocating for what they believe in. They just need to can the revolution talk, as I have already stated. Revolution takes place at the ballot box.
Your entire post was interesting, though I do think it's far more significant to consider the direction this country takes than who is in office "because it gives blacks hope". The way we are going, no one, of any color, will have any hope. The President is not there to give any select group hope. He is there to lead and ensure security, protection, freedom and prosperity for ALL Americans.

A comment on the excerpt of your quote:

I have not heard anyone in the TEA party talk about violent, physical revolution. I don't know where you get that idea. They are talking about taking back the government for the people by electing candidates that can help turn it around. That is revolution at the ballot box.

TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already (as you undoubtedly know), but their concerns aren't just taxes. Taxes are a result and symptom of the problem that this country is facing, and we haven't seen the last of it yet. There's a power hungry monster in D.C. and it needs to be stopped because we just can't afford to feed it at this rate. It's insatiable.

They want more power, more authority to continue on a disastrous road. If people are unhappy with the way politicians have screwed things up, Barney Frank (D-MA)says : ... The way to cure that is to give us more authority and more ability. ...

It is about power, more and more power. That is what the TEA party wants to put the brakes on. I'm thankful that people are waking up and getting involved. For too long we've let things take their course in Washington because either we were lazy or felt helpless. Well, guess what, we're not helpless. Didya see the results of the recent primaries. Now that's what I call hope!

Barney Frank Tells Dems: 'Give Us More Authority' | The FOX Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies