Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the term African American offensive to you?
Yes 20 27.78%
No 23 31.94%
Don't Care 29 40.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Ok good to know. Well now I am frankly surprised that you believe it is less offensive to be called dark tan or light brown if the person is "black" than being called African American...for whatever reason I am not going to test this theory out by calling "black" people who aren't truly black, brown or dark tan, I don't have a feeling that would go over so well. So i'll stick with African American because it is more consistent more often than calling every person who has slightly darker skin black.

guess what even with black people, they use the descriptions of the differnt skin tones.... ever heard the term redbone... mocha.. carmel complexion etc.... these are all terms that are used when trying to be descriptive of the individual...

if a person can not be fully descriptive when describing someone, than that person isnt fully describing.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
guess what even with black people, they use the descriptions of the differnt skin tones.... ever heard the term redbone... mocha.. carmel complexion etc.... these are all terms that are used when trying to be descriptive of the individual...

if a person can not be fully descriptive when describing someone, than that person isnt fully describing.
Actually no I have never heard those terms used before, the only one I even know what it means is carmel. Plus I have a lot more confidence in "black" people using those terms than I would, hell sometimes "blacks" call themselves the n word casually. You guys (and I know this is a generalization but I am trying to be as accurate as possible) don't really give half a damn as to what you decide to call each other but when the white guy comes into the party god forbid he utters something that could be twisted and somehow made to be offensive.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Actually no I have never heard those terms used before, the only one I even know what it means is carmel. Plus I have a lot more confidence in "black" people using those terms than I would, hell sometimes "blacks" call themselves the n word casually. You guys (and I know this is a generalization but I am trying to be as accurate as possible) don't really give half a damn as to what you decide to call each other but when the white guy comes into the party god forbid he utters something that could be twisted and somehow made to be offensive.

I will agree that there are many that feel this way, and will try and make anything a white person says as being racist. But many of times those same ones are keeping racism even more rampant because the accuasations create more racial tension

Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM

410 posts, read 514,953 times
I thought they would rather be called african american than black. I think also don't think it's right to be called "white folk" as well.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
I thought they would rather be called african american than black. I think also don't think it's right to be called "white folk" as well.

this is the biggest issue.. you assume that blacks are not individuals and you assume that they all have to think the same and believe the same and want the same things.. this is not the case...

Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
because people here are SO QUICK to jump to the conclusion that you are a racist even if you call a black an african american
So even though you may say something that I could perceive as being racist or offensive I'm supposed to just let it slide because you have a black friend?

Either way you can have black friends and still have racist feelings toward other black people. I have a dog and I love him but I can't stand other dogs.

When people start off by annoucing that they have black friends as a way to validate a point it usually makes me think that you don't have one.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
this is the biggest issue.. you assume that blacks are not individuals and you assume that they all have to think the same and believe the same and want the same things.. this is not the case...
the biggest issue is you drawing the conclusion that if someone calls someone an african american they are taking away that persons individuality. Lets make a little example here...

You are an African American and an individual

You are a black man and also an individual

hmm seems to work.

Also you seem to be the one who assumes that they all have to think the same way. You are pressing so hard to have all blacks/African Americans be called blacks instead of AA's that you are almost saying that their aren't the INDIVIDUALS out their that would rather be called African Americans....You can't please every person on the street or everyone you know unless you blatantly come out and say to each person "do you want to be called black or african american?" and in some cases that person will look at you like you are nuts or become offended by just the question as is. The only other solution is to have all people were signs around their next (black and white) that says how to address them racially, which frankly ain't gonna happen.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So even though you may say something that I could perceive as being racist or offensive I'm supposed to just let it slide because you have a black friend?

Either way you can have black friends and still have racist feelings toward other black people. I have a dog and I love him but I can't stand other dogs.

When people start off by annoucing that they have black friends as a way to validate a point it usually makes me think that you don't have one.
First of all why would I lie to completely strangers about having black friend?

Second I could say hotdog or mushroom and their will still be those out there that could find someway of calling me a racist so I couldn't give half a flying **** what people think of me anymore.

I learned in my speech class at the college I am going to that you choose the value you put on other people's words. So if you choose to call me a racist for no reason other than you think I am, good for you, but i'm not and could careless what you think.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Why do black people get so much attention around here anyway?

Because were Black.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
No everyone don't know that, because it isnt true. Everyone knows that Jesse Jackson wanted people to call all black people that are americans by the term African American, and some people accept Jesse Jackson as a great mind to follow.. which it seems like many in this thread think.
If you didn't know before, now you know. White people in South Africa (and still are to a degree) purposedly distance themselves from the indigenous people. Now that some Afrikaners or Boers come to America and are upset about not being able to qualify for an African American scholarship? What a funny world we live in

Jesse Jackson is getting credit for coining African-American because he is well known in the media. For all we know, there probably were some of us calling ourselves African American before 1988. I was born in 1989, so I wasn't around. I do know that Malcolm X suggested in one of his speeches in the early 60s that all blacks in America should identify as Africans. Malcolm's philosophy was influenced by black nationalists before him such as Marcus Garvey(he was Jamaican btw) who came up with the African-American or the Pan-African flag and also the founder of Back to Africa movement. I can imagine NOI members calling themselves African Americans before Jesse Jackson brought it to the media in 1988.

As far as black leaders to follow, my ideology is more MLK's dream. I really like to see a racial harmony country, not only in some liberal neighborhoods and cities. As I see it now, his dream of a post-racial America might never come true or in another 100 more years or so. I'll be most likely dead by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies