Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the term African American offensive to you?
Yes 20 27.78%
No 23 31.94%
Don't Care 29 40.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 AM

351 posts, read 533,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
having people being racist that live in a country does not mean the country is divided.

According to you, since there is not a country anywhere in the world that doesnt have a racist that lives there, there is no where in the world that is not a divided country.
Whatever you say. Chicago comes across as a divided city by the forum, you would be blind not to see it that way through that forum too

What makes you so sure that there is no country on this earth without racists?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasuba View Post
Whatever you say. Chicago comes across as a divided city by the forum, you would be blind not to see it that way through that forum too

What makes you so sure that there is no country on this earth without racists?
Because racism is based off of ignorance, and there is ignorance everywhere in the world.

Chicago is a very diverse city there are people of every ethnic background that lives here. Are there areas that are divided.. yes? Many of times these areas are that way because of white flight back in the day, but that doesnt mean that those same feelings hold true to this day.

I have neighbors that are black, white, hispanic, Asian etc..

Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
But when you say you don't care what a race of people think or want to be called, because you are going to call them what ever you feel is correct, it could very well be the N word
I said in the other thread that I will call them anything that becomes the standards term (if necessary Marshmallows). This automatically excludes insults such as the n word as that and comparable terms can never become a standard anymore. As you have seen with African-American it is the majority and leaders of your own ethnic group who decide what you will be called. So please don't blame me for being PC

Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I said in the other thread that I will call them anything that becomes the standards term (if necessary Marshmallows). This automatically excludes insults such as the n word as that and comparable terms can never become a standard anymore. As you have seen with African-American it is the majority and leaders of your own ethnic group who decide what you will be called. So please don't blame me for being PC
Well I will blame you for being PC... PC is for those that would rather give up their own thoughts and opinions for the thoughts and opinions of others...

And please do not tell me about leaders of black people... The leaders of black people in the United States are the same leaders whites here have, and Hispanics, and everyone else.. it is called the Executive branch.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,704 times
Quote:
I find many blacks oversensitive ... Almost as if they were trying to find reasons to call everyone else racists, even people who have a very positive attitude towards African-Americans and black people in general.
When people make sweeping generalizations about a race, I suspect they don't actually have close friends or connections with said race. I propose people sometimes mistake what they see or read in the media, as some insight into a race they know little to nothing about.

Of course, maybe folks who make comments like Neuling's have many black friends, like the OP. It'd be awfully challenging to maintain friendships with a handful of hypersensitive black people, always angling to ID you as a racist. Bummer!

Then again, maybe their friends are the exception, nothing like allllll the other many overly sensitive black people. (end sarcasm, end scene )

Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Well I will blame you for being PC... PC is for those that would rather give up their own thoughts and opinions for the thoughts and opinions of others...

And please do not tell me about leaders of black people... The leaders of black people in the United States are the same leaders whites here have, and Hispanics, and everyone else.. it is called the Executive branch.
Yes, keep wallowing in your paranoia and offending decent people for no reason

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, keep wallowing in your paranoia and offending decent people for no reason
That is the thing, I am not paranoid about anything... calling things as I see them isnt paranoia ....

I am still waiting to hear who these supposed leaders of all black people in america are?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
When people make sweeping generalizations about a race, I suspect they don't actually have close friends or connections with said race. I propose people sometimes mistake what they see or read in the media, as some insight into a race they know little to nothing about.

Of course, maybe folks who make comments like Neuling's have many black friends, like the OP. It'd be awfully challenging to maintain friendships with a handful of hypersensitive black people, always angling to ID you as a racist. Bummer!

Then again, maybe their friends are the exception, nothing like allllll the other many overly sensitive black people. (end sarcasm, end scene )
No, not many, I have exactly 7 black friends, four of them American, two Brazilian, and one Indian. None of them has such ridiculous issues, they have lives...

And yes, I do think many blacks in the States are oversensitive, just think of that black hole greeting card fuss recently People desperately looking to be offended...

Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
That is the thing, I am not paranoid about anything... calling things as I see them isnt paranoia ....

I am still waiting to hear who these supposed leaders of all black people in america are?
Well, it's your perception, no more no less.

You should know your community leaders better than I do. MLK, Jesse Jackson, etc. Or check out this compilation for future ones.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Well, it's your perception, no more no less.

You should know your community leaders better than I do. MLK, Jesse Jackson, etc. Or check out this compilation for future ones.
well, you just prove that you know nothing about blacks in America... okay.. next

Jesse Jackson is not and will never be a leader of Black people in America.

Just because you people want him to be a leader for blacks don't make him so.

MLK was for equality of all, not to be a leader for black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies