U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 AM

22,237 posts, read 16,367,745 times
You're talking about something that instrumental in the food supply though. It's not necessarily the cost but the effects of not having it.

Hay Shortage Hits Dairy Farmers | KIMA CBS 29 - News, Weather and Sports - Yakima, WA - Yakima, Washington 29 | News

I don't know if there is giant surplus or not but my guess is there isn't enough and if that is the case you'll have farmers struggling to feed their animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 AM

21,001 posts, read 11,917,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Who cares, gas prices are going to go through the roof. I imagine farmers would be delighted to supply hay. I can't believe Obama and BP want this thing to get any bigger."""

NO, and NO SANE INTELLIGENT person would even consider that.

"""I agree, the government can't do much right so why not get out of the way and let the people give it a try instead of tying their hands. There has been suggestions but no follow up from the government. Maybe the environmentalists are still running the show. I don't know what would be wrong with hay since it is organic.
Gas prices through the roof???? WHERE do you live....they've been dropping where I live.

And it has nothing to do with the oil spill.

And why wouldn't/shouldn't environmentalists run the show....BP/Haliburton, THE PARTIES RESPONSIBLE!, aren't doing such a great job protecting the environment(which NOW Repugs seem to care about ).

BP used more DANGEROUS chemicals to contain the oil...like Repugs everywhere,they don't give a rip about the environment ...

Old 06-08-2010, 05:54 AM

14,351 posts, read 4,983,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
You are clueless.
No, what's "clueless" is the blame game.

You might want to research on the MMS and the culture of corruption between government and big oil that started way before the current administration.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM

13,737 posts, read 5,307,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Gas prices through the roof???? WHERE do you live....they've been dropping where I live.

And why wouldn't/shouldn't environmentalists run the show....BP/Haliburton, THE PARTIES RESPONSIBLE!, aren't doing such a great job protecting the environment(which NOW Repugs seem to care about ).

BP used more DANGEROUS chemicals to contain the oil...like Repugs everywhere,they don't give a rip about the environment ...
Everything is going to cost more because of this oil spill. Gas, fish, food. You name it and the cost will increase a lot. I don't care what the prices are now, the prices will reflect the market. Less fish, less gas so farmers need to pay more to harvest their crops, etc, etc, etc.

The environmentalists put so many regs on drilling oil, the companies had to go into deep water in the gulf. Then when the spill happened environmentalists didn't want chemicals be used to clean it up so the oil came into land taking out many birds, etc in it's wake.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM

44,931 posts, read 12,709,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

YouTube - Amazing How To Clean up Oil Spill.

Why isn't BP and the government doing all these things?
I said last night that these guys had their video on youtube in the second week of this disaster and that one has been seen by nearly 2 million people by now and surely someone in the administration saw it when it first came out. Now Obama says he was talking to all kinds of well informed people and none of them had any ideas. One of these guys must have been a southeastern US farmer since he had on overalls. Everybody knows they know nothing at all.

Today I found a Youtube that talked about a California blow out in 1969 that they used wheat straw to clean it up. They spread it by hand and these two gentlemen suggested that plenty of people in the south have blowers that could have handled it very well. The 1969 situation was taken care of by people by hand all the way. When the oil soaked straw came to the beaches they just picked it up by hand. One picture showed little boys about 10 or so picking it up with their hands.

This time people just sat on their asses and howled for the government to do something, as being dependent on government leads people to do, and now it is too late for many of them but it still can be used for those who don't have oily beaches yet. DOES THAT SOUND ABOUT RIGHT FOR FLORIDA? It sure does to me.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Wow...aren't you something.

No, this isn't "what Obama wants". Idiotic.

I don't know the deal with the hay.
The hay idea was made public on youtube in early May and nobody did anything with it. I really do wonder why nobody took a stab at it. Maybe Rahm kept Barack from knowing about it. Never waste a good crisis is Rahm's way of thinking.

People are starting to beg him now just as the nice person said and that is what they want.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:36 PM

22,237 posts, read 16,367,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
One picture showed little boys about 10 or so picking it up with their hands.

In 1969 that little boy wouldn't have 10 lawyers following him around waiting for him to stub his toe so they could sue BP. Just guessing here but BP isn't allowing people into these areas so they don't have to settle billions in lawsuits from people claiming every ailment they have years down the road whether real, imagined or manufactured was caused from them helping clean up.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well... for starters I'd imagine there isn't enough hay and it will cause problems elsewhere. Might be useful for spot solution but not as a overall solution. Farmers don't grow hay just for the heck of it, they use it and if you took a large quantity of it out the supply chain you're going to cause problems somewhere. It would certainly drive the price through the roof...
If anyone had asked to buy hay farmers from Texas to North Dakota would have been glad to cut their wheat a bit deeper to be able to sell their hay. The harvest is not in southern Kansas so Oklahoma and Texas have been missed but there are lots as wheat harvest moves north. Normally they work that straw back into the ground but could easily bale it and sell it to whoever wanted to buy it for that purpose. We used to cut it deep to sell to several states to use as cover for their newly planted grass seed on road ditches.

Oh yeah there has been plenty of wheat straw but most is wasted now. Wheat straw has wider spaces than those other hays and could absorb more oil.

Yep, we will never know but we should have tried and didn't. One more huge mistake by this administration.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're talking about something that instrumental in the food supply though. It's not necessarily the cost but the effects of not having it.

Hay Shortage Hits Dairy Farmers | KIMA CBS 29 - News, Weather and Sports - Yakima, WA - Yakima, Washington 29 | News

I don't know if there is giant surplus or not but my guess is there isn't enough and if that is the case you'll have farmers struggling to feed their animals.
Wheat straw is not the best hay for animals so it should have at least been tried.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Most of the farmers in the Great Plains would be very happy to have one season's wheat straw spread on the oil slick but none of those environmentalists wanted to do it. I think that more farm folk need to be asked for solutions instead of being ignored as these two were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies