Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What plans?

There are no plans for this kind of spill, they've all been tried. They didn't work.

BP was the best hope to stop the spill, and still are. The President has done all he humanly could to help contain the spill.
The EPA has an approved Disaster Plan for an oil spill. It was approved in 1994. It called for fire booms to be used. Sadly they never ordered any. They could have worked ahead of time to protect the shores.

No one asked anyone in the government to "stop the spill". Nothing was proactively done to protect the coast and that is their fault for not doing their job.

There is also the National Contingency Plan.
http://climateaudit.org/2010/06/02/e...tingency-plan/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,297,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The EPA has an approved Disaster Plan for an oil spill. It was approved in 1994. It called for fire booms to be used. Sadly they never ordered any. They could have worked ahead of time to protect the shores.

No one asked anyone in the government to "stop the spill". Nothing was proactively done to protect the coast and that is their fault for not doing their job.

There is also the National Contingency Plan.
EPA and the “National Contingency Plan” « Climate Audit
Funny, I remember seeing a butt load of booms

I don't care who ordered them, they are here. I know, I was out two weekends ago packing them with Alpaca hair.

*I know the picture isn't the ones I was filling, they were big and yellow, but they are still there, and they were ordered by someone, and thats all I care about, there is enough boom to go around, we've been shipping ours to LA*

Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Fire booms are a special type of boom used for burning the oil.

Despite plan, not a single fire boom on hand on Gulf Coast at time of oil spill | al.com

Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Fire booms are a special type of boom used for burning the oil.

Despite plan, not a single fire boom on hand on Gulf Coast at time of oil spill | al.com
Then they weren't there with the last 4 Presidents either

Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,077,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am quite sure Obama feels his responsibility is in both areas. It is now being found that the amount of oil gushing, may be more than 100,000 brls/day, not 19,000. If this is true or close to true, the impact will be much greater on shore and plugging the hole, even more urgent. The problem is huge, to all of us. If certain groups of people feel they need to criticize, go for it if it makes you feel better, most people want to help, even if it is only supporting the efforts.
That's true....and not ONE republican has offered up any ideas ....not the Drill, Baby, Drill Queen Palin, not the old fart who wanted to be president....not one ...The only thing repugs offer is criticism....whining because Obama didn't personally take control of the operations....and if he did they'd scream that he is power-crazy and egotisical and trying to make government bigger.......

The irony and hypocrisy of repugs all of a sudden pretending they have this great concern about the environment , pollution and the welfare of other Americans ... truly disgusting...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,763,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Too many times on this forum it seems that there is confusion as to where the discontent over the oil spill comes from. Some poster's even feel that conservatives are bashing Obama just to simply bash him. This couldn't be further from the truth. The response to the oil spill should enrage us all.

So lets clear the air for those who continue to confuse the issue:

The issue is not Obama's failure to "plug the damn hole." The issue is Obama's failure to devote the full resources of the Federal Government, in a timely manner, to contain the oil before it reached the shores of our valuable coastline.

* Instead of crafting jokes at the White House Correspondent's Dinner;
* Instead of gabbing it up with Jay Leno;
* Instead of delaying a visit to the Gulf by 11 days;
* Instead of photo ops with sports teams;
* Instead of a couple of vacations and multiple rounds of golf;
* Instead of fundraisers and stumping for legislators

Instead of these things, NONE of which contributes to the immediate prosperity of the country, Barack Obama should have been protecting our coastlines.

THIS is the issue that American's have with Barack Obama and his leadership during this time of crisis. Not some partisan bickery construed to imply that he could actually plug the hole himself. Lets be clear about that.

Correctamundo

Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Then they weren't there with the last 4 Presidents either
Yes Memphis1979..my initial post on this specifically called out "1994" for when the plan was signed. I didn't post to bash the current administration.
My beef is with "the government" putting half-a**ed plans in place and then fumbling around like chickens without heads when disaster does strike.

Fill in the party/President of your choice as it really doesn't matter who is in power; the same fumbling and bumbling "we're in charge" atrophy happens.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,030,180 times
Quote:
What plans?

There are no plans for this kind of spill, they've all been tried. They didn't work.

BP was the best hope to stop the spill, and still are. The President has done all he humanly could to help contain the spill.
Really, everything? Hardly.
Did he accept the skimmers from the Dutch when they were offered only 3 days after the spill began? NO!!
Did he approve the berms Jindal wanted to build to protect the marshes and beaches? NO!
When 17 countries, the UN and 4 international organizations offered to help (in multiple capacities...manpower, supplies, scientific expertise, etc) did he accept it? NO, he accepted help only from Mexico and Norway.
Are we using supertankers to suck up any of the oil? NO!!

As for plugging the hole....no one expects Obama to be able to do that...He can't even successfully plug Joe Biden's pie hole.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post

As for plugging the hole....no one expects Obama to be able to do that...He can't even successfully plug Joe Biden's pie hole.
Not now. But at one point Obama stepped up and said he was in charge.
He put himself in that position.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Yes Memphis1979..my initial post on this specifically called out "1994" for when the plan was signed. I didn't post to bash the current administration.
My beef is with "the government" putting half-a**ed plans in place and then fumbling around like chickens without heads when disaster does strike.

Fill in the party/President of your choice as it really doesn't matter who is in power; the same fumbling and bumbling "we're in charge" atrophy happens.
Actually, many of the provisions that he was talking about go back to 1969, they were updated in 94.

What it says is that there has to be a plan in place for a "worst case" situation.

However, BP and other oil companies have said multiple times that they could contain a spill, that THEY had everything in place to take care of it. This happened under the Bush administration.

We've been pumping oil out of the Gulf for a long time now, and at no time were they prepared for the worst case scenario. Blaming the President who happened to be in office when the crap hits the fan, isn't going to do any good. The fact is that we weren't prepared for this situation, our government believed the oil companies had the equipment in place to stop it, and they didn't.

They meet with all rules and regulations, and have done what is within their power to do. There are booms down here EVERYWHERE, trust me, I see them daily. All along the bay, inlets, and grassy waterfronts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies