Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:08 PM

20 posts, read 106,344 times

Advertisements

I did consider those, but we are going a different Jaguar route after doing some research.
We are very close to buying a low mileage X300 Vanden Plas sedan for my wife (1995-1997 Jaguar XJs) after looking for quite some time. The X300's have proven to be very reliable with the 4.0 straight 6 and GM transmission. Plus, they have very nice interiors; and can be bought for very, very little due partly to Jaguar's terrible reliability reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
How about a Jaguar XK8? not the most reliable car in the world, but definitely stylish

Last edited by jstein; 11-16-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Well, you mentioned status twice (I don't see how that can be interpreted as anything but the "look at me" factor), referred to appearance numerous times in your posts, and then said performance isn't your prime objective, so why are you buying a sports car?
1) Actually I mentioned status AND sports car AND reliability AND seating AND cost once, and then only repeat myself on ALL factors when stating those same things seem to fit the 911.
2) I mentioned looks only once; status does not equal looks. Please reread and count slowly this time.
3) Many, many people buy sports cars without performance being the most important/prime factor???

Thanks for making my point again by focusing on the status part versus the other four repeated indicators I was looking for in a car.

"I'm looking for a used sports car that needs to have the following:

1) Under $20K
2) Sports car with some status
3) Seats at least 4 - small seats with little legroom are fine because children will be sitting in them
4) Fairly reliable as it will be a daily or at least weekly driver

Everything seems to point to a 1999-2001 Porsche 911 in reliability, seating, status - for the money. My only real dislike is that it LOOKS like the boxster that I could get for much less, but I have to have the extra seating.

Other suggestions or thoughts??????"

Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein View Post
1) Actually I mentioned status AND sports car AND reliability AND seating AND cost once, and then only repeat myself on ALL factors when stating those same things seem to fit the 911.
2) I mentioned looks only once; status does not equal looks. Please reread and count slowly this time.
3) Many, many people buy sports cars without performance being the most important/prime factor???

Thanks for making my point again by focusing on the status part versus the other four repeated indicators I was looking for in a car.

1) Under $20K
3) Seats at least 4 - small seats with little legroom are fine because children will be sitting in them

Everything seems to point to a 1999-2001 Porsche 911 in reliability, seating, status - for the money. My only real dislike is that it LOOKS like the boxster that I could get for much less, but I have to have the extra seating.

buy a nice boxster S and a used minivan
but then again I never bought a car for "status"
I have bought them cause they were fun, fast and looked awsome but never for status

Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,065,636 times
I think the non turbo 996 Porsche's aren't very attractive cars. The non turbo front end looks quite dated.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:

1) Under $20K

1. Correct, but you didn't go back on anything BUT status when you said we were putting too much emphasis on your having said status. And the other requirements are practical and sensible. Status is just about keeping up appearances, nothing else.

2. Maybe so, but coupled with your interest in status, appearance does become more of a superficial issue.

3. There's two types of people that buy sports cars-those who want the performance a sports car offers, and those who want others to see they own a sports car.

Apparently you're the second type. Nothing wrong with that. Just admit it and move on.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:57 PM

Status is not remotely my #1 factor, but it factors in somewhere down the line. But it's funny to me that no one on any forum, regardless of what you are buying, buys for status.
To the more important point, I would buy a boxster and minivan (if she wanted one) with no issues. But again, when the wife and I have to change direction, a 2 seater does me no good regardless of whether I have a minivan or greyhound bus. I usually need to take 2 of the kids in the vehicle I am driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
buy a nice boxster S and a used minivan
but then again I never bought a car for "status"
I have bought them cause they were fun, fast and looked awsome but never for status

Old 11-16-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Status is not remotely my #1 factor, but it factors in somewhere down the line. But it's funny to me that no one on any forum, regardless of what you are buying, buys for status.
To the more important point, I would buy a boxster and minivan (if she wanted one) with no issues. But again, when the wife and I have to change direction, a 2 seater does me no good regardless of whether I have a minivan or greyhound bus. I usually need to take 2 of the kids in the vehicle I am driving.
well I am diffrent I would get a corvette C5 Z06 or 03-04 mustang cobra they are a great performance bargin and I would not give a hoot about status or what other think about it.
I would be having to much fun driving it to really care what others think

people that tend to buy for status tend to buy new leased base model 3-series BMW or a base mercedes C-class or a leased BMW X3 suv

Old 11-16-2010, 06:11 PM

I agree it is not my favorite, but price plays a factor. I don't see anything better that I like for what I am willing to spend with the needs I have in a car - which is why I opened a thread asking for suggestions in the first place.
If price is no object, I'll take a Saleen S7.

What I do think is very attractive is the interior of the ones with the wood trim/steering wheel and Savanna leather - almost looks Italian without the headache, costs, maintenance of an Italian sports car. I tried to talked my wife into a red Ferrari Mondial, since it had 4 seats and was a convertible (which she likes). But she just could not get used to the 1980's look and feel of the car. Honestly, the Mondial would have been more headache/cost than it's worth to me anyway; even if they can be bought low on the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I think the non turbo 996 Porsche's aren't very attractive cars. The non turbo front end looks quite dated.

Last edited by jstein; 11-16-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 PM

I still think you need to come to terms with what your wants and your needs a $20,000 10-20 year exotic used sports car is a want what you need is something that is still sporty but a little more practical heck a mustang GT, infinity G35 or LS2 GTO fits the bill perfectly IMO
that and the fact that a Ferrari motor needs to be dropped and rebuilt every 40,000 miles and any one with over 10,000-15,000 miles is considered "high-mileage" by collectors and enthusiasts.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Yes, those are the cars people drive here for status as well. You notice I'm not looking for one of those. No one is impressed with an old 1996 Jaguar which we are close to buying, but my wife and I like it - so who cares.
My in-laws have a 2000 black corvette with tan leather, and it is nice to drive. I guess the European cars just speak to me more. Again, I retired when I was 30 and mostly just play with my kids or play golf or search online for whatever piques my interest. (In fact, I spent last week just looking up all the wrestlers I used to watch on Mid-South Wrestling and WCW when I was a kid and watching old clips on youtube - it was a blast!) I don't have to prove much where I live as no one has been able to retire at my age.
I just made another chunk of money, and I decided instead of trying to daytrade the e-minis and waste a 1/4 of my profit in losses for the 4th time in a row, I would enjoy the money in a fun sports car that will still somewhat work in our every day life - simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well I am different I would get a corvette C5 Z06 or 03-04 mustang cobra they are a great performance bargin and I would not give a hoot about status or what other think about it.
I would be having to much fun driving it to really care what others think

people that tend to buy for status tend to buy new leased base model 3-series BMW or a base mercedes C-class or a leased BMW X3 suv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche