Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:37 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times

Advertisements

Please tell me you verified that your new car has had the camshaft adjuster bolts upgraded? All 2011 and some early 2012 models have the bad bolts. If they shear, you're looking at a new engine and a $30k expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 09:05 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Please tell me you verified that your new car has had the camshaft adjuster bolts upgraded? All 2011 and some early 2012 models have the bad bolts. If they shear, you're looking at a new engine and a $30k expense.
There was a campaign/recall for it. I asked my dealer mechanic friend about it today, there wasn't an open recall when they took it in on trade. I bought it from my dealer. He also told me he hasn't ever seen a camshaft bolt failure in all his years at Porsche dealer. He's a friend of mine outside of the dealer, so I know he wouldn't just tell me what I want to hear.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
There was a campaign/recall for it. I asked my dealer mechanic friend about it today, there wasn't an open recall when they took it in on trade. I bought it from my dealer. He also told me he hasn't ever seen a camshaft bolt failure in all his years at Porsche dealer. He's a friend of mine outside of the dealer, so I know he wouldn't just tell me what I want to hear.
Yes, a buddy of mine also has one and there's a brand new campaign for fixing the issue, but I don't know all the details of which VIN's are included. Hopefully all of them, this time. Most owners haven't been notified yet.

I'll say this though, if your friend hasn't seen this issue, they must not have very many V8 Cayennes come in. I was at our local Porsche dealership a couple weeks ago and they had two of them in the shop at the same time for the same issue. Not a question of if, but when those bolts will let go.

I might have changed my purchase plans if this news had come out just a week or two sooner... We just bought a Mercedes ML63 with the Performance package. 550hp, 560 torque.

I like the looks and handling of the Cayenne better, but the luxury and features of the ML63 better. It's also faster in a straight line, takes a 2014+ Turbo S to match it.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, a buddy of mine also has one and there's a brand new campaign for fixing the issue, but I don't know all the details of which VIN's are included. Hopefully all of them, this time. Most owners haven't been notified yet.

I'll say this though, if your friend hasn't seen this issue, they must not have very many V8 Cayennes come in. I was at our local Porsche dealership a couple weeks ago and they had two of them in the shop at the same time for the same issue. Not a question of if, but when those bolts will let go.

I might have changed my purchase plans if this news had come out just a week or two sooner... We just bought a Mercedes ML63 with the Performance package. 550hp, 560 torque.

I like the looks and handling of the Cayenne better, but the luxury and features of the ML63 better. It's also faster in a straight line, takes a 2014+ Turbo S to match it.
Mine better be included! Thanks for this info. Sounds like you got an awesome ML!
It also could be it's colder here then Texas, so that plays a difference as he said we sell many V8's here.

Last edited by wamer27; 07-09-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Mine better be included! Thanks for this info. Sounds like you got an awesome ML!
It also could be it's colder here then Texas, so that plays a difference as he said we sell many V8's here.
From my own anecdotal research, it seems the majority of them pop between 50-80k miles, with some outliers in the 40-50k mile range, and I think I've read of 1 or 2 in the 30k range. I don't think I've read anyone making it past 80k and then having a problem.

At any rate, glad to see Porsche stepping up to fix this finally!

Old 08-16-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
From my own anecdotal research, it seems the majority of them pop between 50-80k miles, with some outliers in the 40-50k mile range, and I think I've read of 1 or 2 in the 30k range. I don't think I've read anyone making it past 80k and then having a problem.

At any rate, glad to see Porsche stepping up to fix this finally!
Mine isn't included in the original or new recall, guess that's a good thing. Transfer case is next thing to keep eye on according to service friend, but most are much lower miles then mine. If mine were to fail, he said Porsche would help out, but since mine is tuned, yeah nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche