Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,116 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Just taking a few minutes to say hello from Canada, Quebec. I don't know if this is the right place to talk about it but we bought a house last year in Fort Pierce in a community. Now, someone told me that, on labor day (possible), a major hurricane (depression 97L) (level 5) MAY hit somewhere near fort pierce. They says it is quite accurate since it is based on some european model... Now, where can I be informed more locally and more accurately on what to do etc... We have shutters on our house, but they need to be installed... anyone know a company that does install only ?

We never had hurricane in our entire life, nor other major disaster and we are just not too sure how local citizen handle cases like this....

Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz3bo View Post
Hello All,

Just taking a few minutes to say hello from Canada, Quebec. I don't know if this is the right place to talk about it but we bought a house last year in Fort Pierce in a community. Now, someone told me that, on labor day (possible), a major hurricane (depression 97L) (level 5) MAY hit somewhere near fort pierce. They says it is quite accurate since it is based on some european model... Now, where can I be informed more locally and more accurately on what to do etc... We have shutters on our house, but they need to be installed... anyone know a company that does install only ?

We never had hurricane in our entire life, nor other major disaster and we are just not too sure how local citizen handle cases like this....

Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks
I think someone is joshin' with ya. There is no Fiona yet. They have not found circulation and winds are real disorganized. It is expected to probably become a storm, but at this time no one knows where it will head or even if it will get near Florida let alone the day it will get here. Danielle and Earl are no threat to Florida.

To monitor the storms look at

National Hurricane Center

or

Central Florida Hurricane Center 2010 - 15 Years Tracking Storms

or check out the local news stations

Florida Hurricane News, Orlando Hurricane Season Information - WESH Orlando's Channel 2

They have hurricane guides on the Wesh page.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Rabflmom is right....the NAtional Hurricane Center is your best bet to stay on top of things. Regardless of whether or not one hits this year you should make arrangements with someone ahead of time regarding the shutters, etc. Most communities will not allow you to keep them on all the time. If you are a snowbird you should have arrangements lined up with someone ahead of time. If a hurricane is actually threatening it will be extremely hard to find someone at that point. Regardless of what happens with Fiona I urge you to set up an arrangement with a person or company. Most snowbirds I know have an arrangement with a neighbor, but I think others may have an arrangement with a handyman or a property management company.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times
as of tonite, Monday, the first two are heading away although we will probably get some rain and such from them. Fiona, if it gets a name, is too far away to tell yet.

YES, you definitely should have someone that can put up shutters for you. If you don't know anyone you can call the Realtor you bought the home from for a handyman recommendation or if you live in a community call the HOA and ask them if they could suggest someone. BUT...you need someone! Once we get notice EVERYONE will be scrambling and you could be left out so find someone NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach