Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:36 AM

13 posts, read 37,678 times

Advertisements

I love it and Hobe Sound. My wife and I are seriously looking at settling down there before the end of the year. I just got out of the service and we're looking to start a family in this area.

Last edited by Marka; 08-19-2006 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 10:15 AM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
I love St. Lucie West. Thanks for clearing that up for me psloldtimer. I didnt know that it was seperate from PSL. Its all north of WPB and Stuart and its very nice and laid back. You wouldnt think that it was the fastest growing region in the US. The people are very friendly, its very clean, great landscaping, but great landscaping is all over Florida. My family use to live about two minutes from the St. Lucie Community College. Also not far from where the NY Mets play. The traffic is not bad at all. Like some said, during the winter months when you get all your New Yorkers down there it gets bad. The beaches arent crowded at all. Some of my favorite beaches are on Hutchinson Island. Over the causeway from Stuart. We would go to the Sailfish Country Club where my brother was the superintendent of golf course opperations. There was a beach right outside of the gates called Bathtub Reef. It has to be one of my most favorite beaches in Florida. The water is very clear and there is a reef sperating you from the rest of the ocean. They say its like a bathtub because you can go out some 50 feet and it doesnt get any deeper than up to your neck. Of course you cant walk on the coral or go near it, i was told some of the colors can affect your skin. I also went to Jensen Beach, very nice and not too crowded. The waves were bigger because there was not reef blocking them. I just hated the one hotel that was there taking away how nice it was. Overall St. Lucie County and Martin County are my favorite places in Florida. Very calm and laid back.

Now my family lives in WPB. Very crazy. Although there is a very nice beach that we go to that is very nice. Its a private beach and sometimes there were no people there. It was very nice because all your beaches in Palm Beach County are crowded. Overall i think you will like St. Lucie West. It was a very beautiful area.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:20 AM

44 posts, read 221,154 times
You guys are wonderful! I love reading your inputs! I am really looking fwd to this respite. It is sounding better all the time....

Simon, we are military too.....Im happy for you and your wife, that you are out now tho. We will be in the fall of '07......I wish it were now, to be honest. We've been in the for the long haul and are ready to start a family and be together. Thank you for your service to our country, btw.....

Old 08-18-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phf919 View Post
You guys are wonderful! I love reading your inputs! I am really looking fwd to this respite. It is sounding better all the time....

Simon, we are military too.....Im happy for you and your wife, that you are out now tho. We will be in the fall of '07......I wish it were now, to be honest. We've been in the for the long haul and are ready to start a family and be together. Thank you for your service to our country, btw.....
I love Florida and I'm set to either move into either a subdivision in Hobe Sound, or more likely this great townhome we saw in Port St Lucie. [CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 08-19-2006 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Simon, I am going to be renting a home for the winter in PSL, while DH is deployed. (He is a former marine and currently army.) Im hoping that it is everything I need to get me thru the time apart! Semper Fi, Hooah, back atcha'!

Old 08-22-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phf919 View Post
Simon, I am going to be renting a home for the winter in PSL, while DH is deployed. (He is a former marine and currently army.) Im hoping that it is everything I need to get me thru the time apart! Semper Fi, Hooah, back atcha'!
Sounds like a good plan. I'm doing some work in the area, and I am very pleased with what I see now. Whereabouts is DH is deployed?

Semper Fi.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:03 PM

I'll have to PM you....I cant post that on here.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
We lived in St Lucie and Martin County all of our lives. In my humble opinion, I'd consider Martin County if I were you. Jensen Beach is lovely, and has easy beach access. And you just can't beat Stuart. Palm City is west of Stuart, still Martin County and a county south of PSL, and is nice because it's off the beaten path a little more. My biggest complaint about PSL, or "Pizzle" as the teenagers call it, is it's congested, and the months that you will be there (Oct-May?) is when the snowbirds (as we call them) are there and it's C-R-A-Z-Y traffic, be prepared to sit in your car a lot, especially heading to the beach, yikes, long drive. If I had a choice and was in your situation, I'd rent a condo right smack dab on the beach....hurricane season will be about over, and the thought of having the beach right at your back door, well, it doesn't get any better than that. Live it up, treat it as a vacation. I'm not dissing PSL, it's fine for those who like that setting, the busy streets, the busy stores, neighborhoods that are house-house-house, all close to each other. Not my cup of tea. But hey, I wish you well and hope you enjoy your time in Fla.
We moved to the North Ga Mountains recently, to get out of the hustle and bustle, but still love to go down and visit, and when we do, we ONLY stay near the beaches!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:08 PM

Ive often thought the same thing.....seems like such a hassle to move everything down for 8 mos. But I highly doubt, on our salary, that we can afford a condo on the beach for the winter, no matter HOW MUCH Id prefer that!! Thx for the input tho.....if you know of any, plz lmk!

Old 08-23-2006, 04:58 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Same thing is generally true of all of Martin County -- much more expensive than Port St. Lucie. As for stores and traffic, the area's only mall, most of the stores and most of the better restaurants are in Martin County. Traffic is a nightmare, especially on 2-lane East Ocean Blvd which is the only way to one of the two bridges to the beach.

Plus, the people there are more snobbish and look down their noses at anyone who can't afford their area. They especially dislike Port St. Lucie, which is hilarious, because most of their sales tax revenue, etc., comes from PSL residents who have to go to Martin County for certain shopping.

At least there are more stores being built in Port St. Lucie, now. I refuse to cross the Roosevelt Bridge into Stuart, and the traffic over the Palm City Bridge is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach