U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:51 AM

991 posts, read 3,227,646 times
Default Treasure Coast Hospitals

Does anyone have any information about the hospitals in the Port Saint Lucie area? Is Raulerson far from PSL?thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM

573 posts, read 1,568,103 times
I have never heard of this one...so I looked it up. It's in Okeechobee, almost an hour away from PSL. That's a little too far, most people from PSL wouldn't go to that hospital, not because I heard anything bad, but it's pretty far away for emergencies.

I would recommend Martin Memorial Hospital in Stuart. I had both of my children at this hospital and wouldn't go to any other hospital on the treasure coast.

I've been to St. Lucie Medical (in PSL), but not in a few years. The ER wait time is ridiculous...when my daughter was sick 3 years ago we went there at 1am and had to wait till 2:30am to be seen! She was less than a year old and was very uncomfortable.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the information, I guess there are good places and bad everywhere.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 AM

1,298 posts, read 3,602,292 times
Raulerson is in Okeechobee, as ddlove01 said. It's very small, has no obstetrics, and is not a wise choice for Port St. Lucie.

Martin Memorial is in Martin County. It enjoys a high reputation, and I have no reason to refute it, but I would not use it. Their management has been very high-handed and too aggressive for my tastes. The like to spread stories about the St. Lucie County hospitals, and like many other things, if a lie is stated often enough, people begin to believe it. They just recently received permission to start a heart unit for open heart surgery and other heart specialty work.

St. Lucie Medical is in PSL, just East of US 1, and is the closest hospital. It's also the one I have dealt with several times. The doctors are often the same as at the other hospitals in the area , and personnel such as nurses and orderlies often move about between the hospitals. The equipment is just as much state of the art as at the others. In other words, the only real difference is management. I like the management at St. Lucie Medical and Lawnwood Medical (in Fort Pierce), HCA, better than I like Martin Memorial. HCA is openly a "for profit" company, Martin Memorial is set up as a non-profit, but acts like the 800 pound gorilla in trying to dominate the health services of the area.

Lawnwood is in Fort Pierce, is an excellent hospital, and until very recently, was the only advanced heart unit in Treasure Coast. Thehead of the heart unit, Dr. Downing, is treated almost as a deity by his patients. He was trained at the Cleveland Clinic and has a national reputation. If you live in the northern part of PSL, Lawnwood may be as convenient as St. Lucie Medical.

Martin Memorial recently won approval to start a small hospital in the western side of PSL, but it will likely be years before all the court stuff and permissions are finally sorted out. In Florida, like in much of the rest of the nation, hospitals have to demonstrate need in order to open. That's to prevent having several hospitals, each with unused facilities and possible financial problems. Because St. Lucie Medical and Lawnwood are not utilized 100%, there is not yet a dire need for a western hospital, other than for the convenience of the western residents. Those of us who have had to travel to Fort Pierce or Stuart for years don't have a lot of sympathy for the newcomers in the western side who would rather see St. Lucie Medical get hurt financially than travel an extra few miles.

I have no relationship or financial interest in HCA or any of the hospitals.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 PM

I knew I could count on you !!!!!!We want to live in PSL , My husband is a Cat Scan Tech and is looking for work in an are I will pass all info onto him, Thank you again!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:38 PM

250 posts, read 1,107,712 times
I work at Indian River Medical Center in Vero Beach and that is a good hospital too. A lot of the staff there live in PSL and travel (about 45 minutes away)

Old 08-02-2007, 07:11 PM
tao

719 posts, read 2,220,911 times
I have had experiences with both St. Lucie Medical Center and Martin Memorial in Stuart. The doctor at St. Lucie Medical Center could have killed me with his negligence but I was lucky and I went into Martin Memorial a few days later and had emergency surgery there. I was given a private room overlooking the ocean - and I don't have the greatest insurance so I was surprised to have such a nice room. The beds there are really comfortable. The nursing staff took care of me and made me feel well looked after. It was a good experience - if you can call a hospital stay good.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Tao, hope you are feeling better. Thanks so much for the information! My husband is a cat scan tech, so I will also tell him about Indian River.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueilp View Post
I work at Indian River Medical Center in Vero Beach and that is a good hospital too. A lot of the staff there live in PSL and travel (about 45 minutes away)
It certainly does have a good reputation, as do the hospitals in Sebastion and Jupiter, which are often used by PSL residents, and which are also staffed with a goodly number of PSL residents. A neighbor of mine in PSL is a nurse at Raulerson in Okeechobee. Simply put, regardless of which hospital at which one is employed, PSL is a good place to live.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I have had experiences with both St. Lucie Medical Center and Martin Memorial in Stuart. The doctor at St. Lucie Medical Center could have killed me with his negligence...
With all due respect, that generally has nothing to do with the hospital. I assure you that there are good and bad doctors everywhere. I am glad you found the care you needed. My experience was the opposite; I would likely have died without the care I received at St. Lucie Medical.

By the way, Martin Memorial overlooks the St. Lucie River, not the ocean -- but St. Lucie Medical only overlooks a parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach