U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM

10 posts, read 17,720 times

Advertisements

Hello all-
I was hoping someone could set my mind at ease. We are interested in moving to jupiter farms because of the amount of land one can get for the $$. We currently live in south florida and it's just too expensive here plus a bit overcrowded!.
My concern though is regarding the cancer cluster. In my research it seems to be concentrated in the loxahatchee area but from what i've seen the issue is also with pratt whitney which I know is located near jupiter farms.
We have a small 16 month old and I am looking to become pregnant anytime so obviously I want to keep my family safe.
Is there anyone that can shed some light and help with this?
thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM

122 posts, read 162,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyfl View Post
Hello all-
I was hoping someone could set my mind at ease. We are interested in moving to jupiter farms because of the amount of land one can get for the $$. We currently live in south florida and it's just too expensive here plus a bit overcrowded!.
My concern though is regarding the cancer cluster. In my research it seems to be concentrated in the loxahatchee area but from what i've seen the issue is also with pratt whitney which I know is located near jupiter farms.
We have a small 16 month old and I am looking to become pregnant anytime so obviously I want to keep my family safe.
Is there anyone that can shed some light and help with this?
thanks in advance!
P&W performed a lot of engine testing during several decades. They also tested the engines for the Shuttles. A lot of the byproducts of jet and rocket fuels can be harmful. It comes down to how the chemicals were disposed of. Over the course of three to four decades of testing you would have to account for all of that material. Has that affected the water table in the areas in and around the plants? That is a question that is now being debated in those western communities.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM

thanks for the reply. Yes water contamination is a concern of mine and we would look into testing the water before anything. Are you a local resident? do you know of any concerns specifically? i can't find any in jupiter farms...

Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM

122 posts, read 162,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyfl View Post
thanks for the reply. Yes water contamination is a concern of mine and we would look into testing the water before anything. Are you a local resident? do you know of any concerns specifically? i can't find any in jupiter farms...
I lived in the south county area but my co-workers brother has lived there a long time and he liked it. It is a much slower pace of life out in the farms area. There have been some issues with crime from the city spilling into the farms the last couple of years but these may have been isolated incidents.

There is only one elementary school in the area, so you should be OK for at least the next 6 to 7 years but there are no plans for a middle school anytime soon:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...in-other-areas

I would suggest searching the WPB forum too about the farms area. I am sure there are quite a few posts there regarding it. This forum is for points further north like Stuart, PSL and Vero.

Last edited by exmbdude; 05-09-2011 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 AM

14,712 posts, read 16,293,652 times
"The Acreage" has had the question come up. Jupiter Farms has not.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM

@exmbdude-thanks for the article and about the form. I reposted in the WPB forum only to see I didn't really need too but I did search as you suggested and nothing really came up . I hope I get more responses on the subject.
thanks again.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"The Acreage" has had the question come up. Jupiter Farms has not.
thanks this is exactly what I need to hear!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Status: "Keller Williams Realty office at PGA Village" (set 21 days ago)

2,526 posts, read 3,248,953 times
Exactly.. Jupiter Farms and the Acerage are not the same area. This post would be in the WPB forums normally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach